DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Apr 12, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,801 of 2,125
My impression agrees with yours. LPG wins over ZX2 mostly in soundstage depth and ultra-high frequencies. LPG wins over QP1R (quite obvious) in sub-bass reproduction. I lost lots of rumble in the low end going from LPG to QP1R.
P1 beats LPG.

Apr 13, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #1,804 of 2,125
Apr 17, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #1,805 of 2,125
<-- Better sound  ...  Better UI -->​

Luxury and Precision's L3 has been sitting on my charging table playing music repeatedly for a few days now, running in the Shozy Zero IEMs as well as itself. I thought I'd give it a quick test with the DITA IEMs against the X5II and Soundaware M1. 

It has something of a unique UI with a touchscreen that you can only touch and not scroll, swipe or do any other gesture with. With the main navigation menu at the top it works well, between having a simple UI and a full-blown Android system. It is a lot faster to get to music than with the other DAPs. The volume knob is a bit of a puzzle. It has awful knob feel and requires being turned from both front and rear at the same time. Putting the L3 on the table and trying to push the knob from the front to turn it isn't possible, as it will jam up. Whether or not this is intentional I don't know. I also don't know why they selected the Play/Pause button as the power button with no markings to indicate that. The screen lock button at the top would have been a better choice. Having two custom function buttons is nice though, but somewhat unnecessary given the great simplicity of the UI to begin with.

Sound-wise, excluding comparisons, it is pleasant to listen with, coming across as quite punchy and enjoyable with the Dazzling Blue album from Chesky Records. Switching to the X5II, the L3's punchiness comes at the expense of a bit of fine detail, leaving the sound overall a bit dry, with the X5II being more "wet" -- fleshing out the subtleties of the music more. The M1 takes this a step further, getting more into the music than even the X5II does, at the expense of battery life and UI functionality. That leaves the L3, with its single card slot, a bit of a tough decision at its $399 default price. If they could price it at their Indiegogo price of $299 without losing money, or even $350, the same as the X5II, that'd be better I reckon. One might argue that the balanced output makes it worth the extra cost, but I'm inclined to think that balanced output is a gimmick nowadays, with more annoyance than benefit.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #1,806 of 2,125

<-- Better sound  ...  Better UI -->​
One might argue that the balanced output makes it worth the extra cost, but I'm inclined to think that balanced output is a gimmick nowadays, with more annoyance than benefit.

About the balanced output: if SE and balanced offer the same power specs, I agree. If not, are you able to test balanced out? Might be that a lot is left on the table otherwise.

Compare it with Violectric's V281. Sure, it's a great amp SE. But basically, you're listening to a V220 then. It's quite clear however that the balanced drive is superior by design there, using 2 V220 amps instead of one...

Better noise suppression, channel separation,... probably don't matter indeed. Power specs however DO matter.

Apr 20, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #1,808 of 2,125
About the balanced output: if SE and balanced offer the same power specs, I agree. If not, are you able to test balanced out? Might be that a lot is left on the table otherwise.

Compare it with Violectric's V281. Sure, it's a great amp SE. But basically, you're listening to a V220 then. It's quite clear however that the balanced drive is superior by design there, using 2 V220 amps instead of one...

Better noise suppression, channel separation,... probably don't matter indeed. Power specs however DO matter.

I think it is all about an implementation I think but I am in agreement with you that a balanced amp done right should sound noticeably better than the single-end counterpart.  The PHA3 for instance sound noticeably better through its balanced output compared to SE...and you will be better off spending less if you do not utilize its balanced connection.  After auditioning the Paw Gold for two weeks and loving every minute of my time with it, I conclude that my ZX2/ZX100/ZX1 + PHA3 to fit my needs better.  I think it is all about personal preference at this point.  Heck, I have been wanting to buy the QP1R so bad but my ZX2 + PHA3 just serve my listening situation better.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #1,809 of 2,125
I still think differences between DAPs are minute. But sometimes these minute differences can give me very different experiences. For instance the Lotoo Paw Gold give more impression of stage depth then any other DAP I have tested. When listening side by side with and AK240SS, it makes the latter feel flst and 2D. The differences are not night and day, but the feeling is very different.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #1,810 of 2,125
I still think differences between DAPs are minute. But sometimes these minute differences can give me very different experiences. For instance the Lotoo Paw Gold give more impression of stage depth then any other DAP I have tested. When listening side by side with and AK240SS, it makes the latter feel flst and 2D. The differences are not night and day, but the feeling is very different.

I agree there are some very minute differences. But 

I did get a pretty big SQ boost from the LH Geek Out though, which I was pretty surprised about. The soundstage was ridiculous. I'm still convinced that they use some sort of DSP.

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,811 of 2,125
Cowon P1? Not to my ears, not even a little bit.

each has different ears 

it pretty confusing sometimes to people who can not audition things when reading contradicting opinions

Apr 30, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,812 of 2,125
each has different ears 

it pretty confusing sometimes to people who can not audition things when reading contradicting opinions

I really wasn't a fan of the p1 personally. Not to say it sounded bad. I just wasn't blown away.

If you are someone who likes to use eq then I can see the merit of the p1.

But yes everyone has different preferences and different gear.

I am currently considering the x7 for the convenience over mojo and a phone. But not sure as j have not auditioned the x7

Apr 30, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,813 of 2,125
I agree there are some very minute differences. But 

I did get a pretty big SQ boost from the LH Geek Out though, which I was pretty surprised about. The soundstage was ridiculous. I'm still convinced that they use some sort of DSP.

I have the mojo and my mate has the geek out. We were comparing them at work.

I really liked the geek but did wonder about that

May 1, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #1,814 of 2,125
My experience has been the same. I can't differentiate between ak100ii to the AK240. I also know I'd have a hard time picking between my phone (when not using viper) and pretty much any dap I've owned.

The differences for me, come when I apply eq, or if on Android root, add viper, and use a different music player. Otherwise, everything is a blur.

I recently was loaned the LPG, damn is that a great dap. PMEQ, is one of the big things along with the ridiculous power of the LPG.

I also now on the Fiio X7. I love this dap. It's quite good. But, one small caveat, the amp module included is very weak. It doesn't drive all of my IEMS well. Add the am2, big difference.

I still have my Fiio X1 and X3 OG. Both very good players, but not as quiet, missing that black background. The X3 has an extremely fun signature and the hardware buttons for bass and treble are great. The X3 would regularly receive playing time, even when I had the AK240 in my stable.

May 1, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #1,815 of 2,125
My experience has been the same. I can't differentiate between ak100ii to the AK240. I also know I'd have a hard time picking between my phone (when not using viper) and pretty much any dap I've owned.

The differences for me, come when I apply eq, or if on Android root, add viper, and use a different music player. Otherwise, everything is a blur.

I recently was loaned the LPG, damn is that a great dap. PMEQ, is one of the big things along with the ridiculous power of the LPG.

I also now on the Fiio X7. I love this dap. It's quite good. But, one small caveat, the amp module included is very weak. It doesn't drive all of my IEMS well. Add the am2, big difference.

I still have my Fiio X1 and X3 OG. Both very good players, but not as quiet, missing that black background. The X3 has an extremely fun signature and the hardware buttons for bass and treble are great. The X3 would regularly receive playing time, even when I had the AK240 in my stable.

I was the same. I had the ak100ii then later the mojo. All the while I had an alien and x3. They all got play time.

How does the sound between the mojo and x7 compare/differ if you don't mind me asking.

I am kind of keen for an all in one around the price range of the mojo as I won't be able to keep both. What ever I get.

The expansion of amp modules also appeals to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back