DAC to pair with TubeMagic A1 & DT880s
Nov 9, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
So why didn't you buy a 100 DAC instead of a 300 V-DAC (Count at original listed price) if you said every solid state DAC sounds the same? You won't care about discount if they sound the same.

Look pal, I'm just trying to say to you that you're going to waste 200$ if you buy a 300$ DAC,
Now if you're trying to troll me or judge me because i bought a second hand DAC, you're free to do anything you want.
You're a grown up who is able to take your own decisions so do as you like. I've already said why I bought it so stop acting like a fool and decide by yourself which is right or wrong.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #17 of 29
It is not true that all DACs sound the same. However, a ~$100 DAC or sound card can be transparent, if you choose a good one, and it works without problems (interference, ground loops, bad USB ports, etc.).

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
It is not true that all DACs sound the same. However, a ~$100 DAC or sound card can be transparent, if you choose a good one, and it works without problems (interference, ground loops, bad USB ports, etc.).

That's what I'm trying to say
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Yes you're right. There are some good DACs in the 100 price range. But I really doubt that a good 100-ish DAC and be compared with a good 500-ish DAC.

Nov 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Yes you're right. There are some good DACs in the 100 price range. But I really doubt that a good 100-ish DAC and be compared with a good 500-ish DAC.

Well, if they sound the same under controlled conditions (something that is entirely possible technically if the DAC or sound card is well engineered and manufactured in large quantities - with volume discounts, very good DAC chips are available now under $10), then obviously it can. For example, I had a blind test earlier at the Sound Science forum where music was passed through a D/A-A/D loop using a $70 sound card, and no one was able to tell the recorded sound apart from the original.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #21 of 29
Ok, at the moment it's going to be the TubeMagic D2 with the upgraded opamps and tube.  I say at the moment, well because it may be a month or two until I purchase the DAC.  I really like the idea of being able to swap opamps and the tube.  I like tweaking things.  And that played into my decision a bit. 

I looked at the HRT Music Streamer II, but would rather have the flexibility of the additional inputs. 

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 29
Look also for the musical fidelity v-dac II (or mk1) it's a good dac for its price, but remember you don't need to spend hundreds in dacs, the ele will, most likely, do the job as well as 1000$ dacs.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #25 of 29
Puranti,
Interesting, could you please suggest some DACs in $ 100 range that would do the job for Beyer 250 - 600 ohm headphone ?
Source is thinkpad laptop.
I mostly see suggestions for spending more money :) , you are in minority.

thanks

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:
Puranti,
Interesting, could you please suggest some DACs in $ 100 range that would do the job for Beyer 250 - 600 ohm headphone ?
Source is thinkpad laptop.
I mostly see suggestions for spending more money :) , you are in minority.

thanks

"Welcome on head-fi, sorry for your wallet"
tongue.gif

Look for a second-hand, it's really cheaper, second look at the specs of the DAC it has a lower THD than 0.05% and a noise lower than 90db take it.
Depends also on what inputs you want, but to name some products I'll say : V-Dac mk1, Hrt streamer products, the M2tech dacs.
That's for the dedicated dac, but I'm sure you can also find a good Dac/amp although it will have to have enough juice to power those beyer cans.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #27 of 29
Thanks. Yeah it's overwhelming the choices recommended and their prices, I wish I win a lottery and come back to this forum..:)
V-DAC seems out of my budget, but I'd look for pre-owned stuff. Any suggestions where to look apart from amazon warehouse deals and this forum.
HRT Streamer II is interesting , how do you compare it to Audioengine D1.
Can I connect my lower impedance IEMs and headphones directly to HRT streamer II.

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #28 of 29
Your missing something a DAC is just converting music from digital to analog, if you're taking a standalone dac you will need an amp.
You can find some very DAC/amp combo such as the fiio products (which are the cheapest and best bang for the buck) and as you mentionned the audioengine which looks great.
The audioengine will power low impedance headphones, IEMs but not the higher ones, same thing for fiio (or at least for their cheap products).
I'm not an expert in DAC/amp combo but I'm sure you can find a thread about them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #29 of 29
I'll be getting the TubeMagic D2 with the upgrades to start with. It is priced right and has the inputs I want. Plus the fact that I have an A1 plays into it. Though once I buy the La Figaro 339, I may see about getting a HRT Music Stream II+ down the road; as that is supposed to pair very well with the La Figaro. I will then move the TubeMagic D2/A1 combo to my PS3, as being able to use headphones will be very convenient.

That's the plan, but could easily change in seconds. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back