Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jan 11, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #9,001 of 12,335
Jan 11, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #9,002 of 12,335
The question was about Russian tubes but I have run Tung Sol etc. and own a Valhalla 2, IMHO the Crack is warmer sounding with most any combination I have tried. The Valhalla is a little tough to discern from solid state or maybe I have not varied my tube rolling in it enough to approximate a Crack.
The Valhalla2 is a strange OTL amp, agree with you that its like a SS amp, rolling tubes has little or no effect on the sound from my limited time that I spent with rolling tubes in it.

Jan 11, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #9,003 of 12,335
I ended up using mine more as a preamp out into other amps including Crack amps.

Jan 11, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #9,005 of 12,335
Jan 12, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #9,007 of 12,335
For that price, I will get a ECC33. :)
Been debating getting a VT-231. Already have quite a few good 6SN7's. But lets see, now a days i usually swap around between the Mullar 12AU7/7119 PQ/Tungsgram E80CC. Sometimes even using the Telefunken 12AU7.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #9,009 of 12,335
I have used a Crack as a preamp and even added outputs on two of them. I have several amps and amp/DACs with more arriving next week. They do work well in that function; I tend to experiment until I find an exceptional sound I am willing to share with others. My latest interest is balanced amps but I keep all those components separate.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #9,010 of 12,335
I have used a Crack as a preamp and even added outputs on two of them. I have several amps and amp/DACs with more arriving next week. They do work well in that function; I tend to experiment until I find an exceptional sound I am willing to share with others. My latest interest is balanced amps but I keep all those components separate.

Which would be your fav balanced diy amp ?

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #9,011 of 12,335
Unfortunately it is a tube amp I designed and built myself, class A, cathode follower, but I gave it away to a friend. I learned enough in the process to know what I want to build next. The Crack thread is probably not the best place to discuss such things. Currently I am doing an entire solid state balanced set up but I am a week out in completing that. I generally build my own cables and modify the headphones to fit the design. It takes a couple weeks to tweak everything.

I am not aware of a lot of balanced DIY amps but I was thinking the Bottlehead Mainline might be one? I have not built one so I cannot comment much about it but I did glance at them some time ago and I do believe they use a higher level of individual parts in the build and it is a company I would trust to provide great products. If there is a current thread in here talking about balanced amps send me a link and we could go there to discuss such things.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #9,012 of 12,335
I cleaned the tube contacts, both male and female ends, on my bottlehead crack and it seems to sound even better. I use Deoxit. Am I imagining things?

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #9,013 of 12,335
I cleaned the tube contacts, both male and female ends, on my bottlehead crack and it seems to sound even better. I use Deoxit. Am I imagining things?

I've heard a difference when applied to NOS tubes. But I'm guessing it depends on how corroded or dirty ( finger oils etc ) the pins are. Once cleaned the first time repeat cleanings have never done any good.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #9,014 of 12,335
So I'm getting ready to mod my Bottlehead crack and was getting my shopping list ready. I've decided on adding a choke, replacing the 2 output caps with film caps, modding the power supply with cree diodes. Anyone got suggestions on what to purchase to mount the choke? I think I've got the film cap mounting and the PCB board down.

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #9,015 of 12,335

Users who are viewing this thread

Back