1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Crack;Bottlehead OTL

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by ironbut, Mar 9, 2010.
First

Back
591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600
602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611
Next

Last
  1. Quadfather
    Thanks

2. DavidA
    The Valhalla2 is a strange OTL amp, agree with you that its like a SS amp, rolling tubes has little or no effect on the sound from my limited time that I spent with rolling tubes in it.

3. Paladin79
    I ended up using mine more as a preamp out into other amps including Crack amps.

i luvmusic 2 likes this.
  4. attmci
    You have to mod the Crack to use E80CC or 7119 (5687) tubes.

Amperex 7316 Long Plates Foil Getter is one of the best. But, hope you can find it.

5. bloodhawk
  6. attmci
    For that price, I will get a ECC33. :)

7. bloodhawk
    Been debating getting a VT-231. Already have quite a few good 6SN7's. But lets see, now a days i usually swap around between the Mullar 12AU7/7119 PQ/Tungsgram E80CC. Sometimes even using the Telefunken 12AU7.

8. i luvmusic 2
    Have you tried the CRACK as a PRE?I used my Crack as a Pre to drive my Kenwood Amp and a Sansui speaker nice pairing i would say.....

9. Paladin79
    I have used a Crack as a preamp and even added outputs on two of them. I have several amps and amp/DACs with more arriving next week. They do work well in that function; I tend to experiment until I find an exceptional sound I am willing to share with others. My latest interest is balanced amps but I keep all those components separate.

10. bloodhawk
    Which would be your fav balanced diy amp ?

11. Paladin79
    Unfortunately it is a tube amp I designed and built myself, class A, cathode follower, but I gave it away to a friend. I learned enough in the process to know what I want to build next. The Crack thread is probably not the best place to discuss such things. Currently I am doing an entire solid state balanced set up but I am a week out in completing that. I generally build my own cables and modify the headphones to fit the design. It takes a couple weeks to tweak everything.

I am not aware of a lot of balanced DIY amps but I was thinking the Bottlehead Mainline might be one? I have not built one so I cannot comment much about it but I did glance at them some time ago and I do believe they use a higher level of individual parts in the build and it is a company I would trust to provide great products. If there is a current thread in here talking about balanced amps send me a link and we could go there to discuss such things.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  12. Quadfather
    I cleaned the tube contacts, both male and female ends, on my bottlehead crack and it seems to sound even better. I use Deoxit. Am I imagining things?

13. deserat
    I've heard a difference when applied to NOS tubes. But I'm guessing it depends on how corroded or dirty ( finger oils etc ) the pins are. Once cleaned the first time repeat cleanings have never done any good.

Quadfather likes this.
  14. Demoninja
    So I'm getting ready to mod my Bottlehead crack and was getting my shopping list ready. I've decided on adding a choke, replacing the 2 output caps with film caps, modding the power supply with cree diodes. Anyone got suggestions on what to purchase to mount the choke? I think I've got the film cap mounting and the PCB board down.

15. atomicbob
    https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/2250-832-AL/1772-1226-ND/

First

Back
591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600
602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611
Next

Last