Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 23, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #9,031 of 12,339
What song or songs makes your Crack shine?

It’s a question that’s been asked a lot, but it’s nice to discover something new. Something I recently discovered is “Sinatra At The Sands”.

Any high resolution Rush. Solar Wind, Mix it Up, Chick Correa Trio, among others. I will try to add them as I listen to them. People talk about the hd650s being so warm, but I think they are really quite a neutral on the Bottlehead Crack.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #9,032 of 12,339
I mostly listen to binaural plus recordings, people like Amber Rubarth and Noah Wall but one of my favorite standard recordings is Warren Zevon's Nighttime at the Switching Yard and Brubeck's Time Out album. Another binaural favorite is Rebecca Pigeon's Spanish Harlem. I recently discovered Tidal so through there I often play The Beast in Me by Nick Lowe and Lake Street Dive's I want you Back.

I generally have two amps hooked up with different headphones, the Crack with HD 650's and a balanced setup using two solid state amps with another set of headphones, the warmth of the Crack always draws me back and I spend more time listening to it.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #9,033 of 12,339
Guys, you have this backwards. If you tap on the tube and it rings, that is microphonics. If the tube starts to sing without any mechanical impulse like tapping - and tapping it stops the singing - that is not microphonics, it is an oscillation due to something electrical. First thing to try is thoroughly cleaning the tube pins.

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #9,034 of 12,339
Thanks for clearing that up, Doc B.

I bought a tube with a broken center pin, the plastic part, that sounds OK, but very microphonic.

Joni Mitchell's Travelogue and Peter Gabriel's New Blood is worth checking out.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #9,035 of 12,339
Guys, you have this backwards. If you tap on the tube and it rings, that is microphonics. If the tube starts to sing without any mechanical impulse like tapping - and tapping it stops the singing - that is not microphonics, it is an oscillation due to something electrical. First thing to try is thoroughly cleaning the tube pins.

Could it also be a bad tube?

Feb 23, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #9,037 of 12,339
Did you try what I suggested?

I cleaned the connectors and the power tube area, but I don't know how to get into the other one to clean it. The holes are so small

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #9,038 of 12,339
I'm saying clean the pins on the tube. The tube socket contacts are probably fine. Sometimes you can clear up oscillation by simply inserting and removing the tube from the socket a few times, which scrapes the pins a little bit. But I usually clean them with DeOxit or even a little fine sandpaper. To really do them up you can chuck up half a Q-tip in a Dremel tool and buff the pins with some metal polish. That's what I do with critical stuff like recording gear.

Feb 23, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #9,039 of 12,339
I'm saying clean the pins on the tube. The tube socket contacts are probably fine. Sometimes you can clear up oscillation by simply inserting and removing the tube from the socket a few times, which scrapes the pins a little bit. But I usually clean them with DeOxit or even a little fine sandpaper. To really do them up you can chuck up half a Q-tip in a Dremel tool and buff the pins with some metal polish. That's what I do with critical stuff like recording gear.

The sockets for the, I forget if it's called input or output tube, were filthy.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #9,040 of 12,339
Okay, I cleaned as best as I could. It seems like ringing is much diminished. I am assuming tubes always have a little bit of background noise.

Feb 23, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #9,041 of 12,339
@Doc B. , Can a power cable cause oscillation? Seems much better since cleaning.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #9,042 of 12,339
Day 2 since cleaning the pins and sockets. Any ringing is barely audible on pause.

Feb 24, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #9,043 of 12,339
Can noisy tubes cause low level ringing?

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #9,044 of 12,339
On my RCA 12AU7A, there is a dark circle inside the glass surrounded with a lighter colored charcoal/white color. Could this have anything to do with low-level ring?

*****UPDATE***** I cleaned the pins with wet/dry sandpaper, 1500 fine grit until they shined and it seems like any ringing is probably just my ears. Actually, now there isn't any ringing. I was also able to get a mini cleaning pick into the sockets for the output tube and they were pure black dirty.

0225180907a_Film3.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #9,045 of 12,339
Do most people on here plug their Bottlehead Cracks into a surge protector, or directly into the outlet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back