Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #9,061 of 12,335
I am still marveling at the dead silent, black background after replacing the tubes in my Bottlehead Crack amplifier!

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #9,062 of 12,335
Honestly I do not find a lot of difference between 6080's or comparable tubes compared to the 12AU7A's so I just usually say something like "they work well". Audio is pretty subjective and if you are happy with a certain set of tubes that is wonderful. I have gone as far as to buy Tung Sol, Chatham, Mullard and have tested in two identical Crack amps sitting next to each other (I did both builds). I used a switchbox and the same set of headphones so there were few variables. I was hard pressed to find enough difference to justify spending $200 for a tube compared to the $10 for a new 6080 or 6AS7G. YMMV

You get good original tubes with the kit and in buying a lot of used tubes and supposed new old stock, occasionally I would get some that did not perform as well as the originals but that is the nature of tubes, they only last so long.

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #9,063 of 12,335
Honestly I do not find a lot of difference between 6080's or comparable tubes compared to the 12AU7A's so I just usually say something like "they work well". Audio is pretty subjective and if you are happy with a certain set of tubes that is wonderful. I have gone as far as to buy Tung Sol, Chatham, Mullard and have tested in two identical Crack amps sitting next to each other (I did both builds). I used a switchbox and the same set of headphones so there were few variables. I was hard pressed to find enough difference to justify spending $200 for a tube compared to the $10 for a new 6080 or 6AS7G. YMMV

You get good original tubes with the kit and in buying a lot of used tubes and supposed new old stock, occasionally I would get some that did not perform as well as the originals but that is the nature of tubes, they only last so long.

I finally got the ringing to stop, so I'm afraid to even touch the tubes with my hands now. LOL

Mar 8, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #9,064 of 12,335
I tend to hold onto one set as a baseline, new tubes that I have received with a kit or have purchased as new. Then I swap tubes till I find a pair I like but if I ever wonder about tubes, I can go back to the originals and see if conditions change. My situation is different and I have built a few Cracks and similar amps so it is nothing for me to have a dozen or more tubes laying around. Things happen and you can get a decent 6080 for $10 or so, I have not bought 12au7's for a while but new stock is probably less than $10.

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #9,065 of 12,335

Toooo bad, my friend. I hope you will find a pair of output and driver tubes meet your needs.

https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=663.0

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #9,066 of 12,335
I have many I like, some more than others. I just tend to notice more difference changing 12Au7's.

Mar 11, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #9,068 of 12,335
I will try to check those out sometime. I just found some on Ebay in the $200 range, I would hope they sound better and yours is certainly an opinion I would trust.

Soon i will be doing some more testing using local grad students from a very good school of music, I have RCA, Tung Sol, Chatham, Russian made etc. I am always curious what those with younger ears might find to their liking or if I can even get consistent results. I will then try the same thing with different 12au7 equivalents but I need to stock up on more of those before I do testing. It is just to satisfy my sense of curiosity but if people are just as pleased with a $10 6080, why invest in a $100-$200 tube? It is a given that buying old or used tubes can be tricky. Are you really getting new old stock or even tubes in decent condition? I sold my tube tester years ago but I have been meaning to reinvest in a good one, at least that way I am more likely to compare apples to apples. In a few years I shall retire and probably do a bit of consulting but I may consider building custom headphone cables, or selling tubes that I have tested and certified. I will probably say no more than here is a Tung Sol 5998, here are the test results. Cables are even trickier, I would talk about materials and construction techniques but it is always up to the individual to say 7 N OCC copper sounds better than high strand litz or a specific brand of OFC. I would never do that as a seller since some things are pretty subjective. On tubes I guess I could say, this particular brand or type is a favorite of my testers, or folks whose opinions I trust YMMV. As tubes become more scarce, their values will no doubt rise, I can think of worse investments lol.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #9,069 of 12,335
I will try to check those out sometime. I just found some on Ebay in the $200 range, I would hope they sound better and yours is certainly an opinion I would trust.

Soon i will be doing some more testing using local grad students from a very good school of music, I have RCA, Tung Sol, Chatham, Russian made etc. I am always curious what those with younger ears might find to their liking or if I can even get consistent results. I will then try the same thing with different 12au7 equivalents but I need to stock up on more of those before I do testing. It is just to satisfy my sense of curiosity but if people are just as pleased with a $10 6080, why invest in a $100-$200 tube? It is a given that buying old or used tubes can be tricky. Are you really getting new old stock or even tubes in decent condition? I sold my tube tester years ago but I have been meaning to reinvest in a good one, at least that way I am more likely to compare apples to apples. In a few years I shall retire and probably do a bit of consulting but I may consider building custom headphone cables, or selling tubes that I have tested and certified. I will probably say no more than here is a Tung Sol 5998, here are the test results. Cables are even trickier, I would talk about materials and construction techniques but it is always up to the individual to say 7 N OCC copper sounds better than high strand litz or a specific brand of OFC. I would never do that as a seller since some things are pretty subjective. On tubes I guess I could say, this particular brand or type is a favorite of my testers, or folks whose opinions I trust YMMV. As tubes become more scarce, their values will no doubt rise, I can think of worse investments lol.
Nope, it should cost similar to a 5998. Check the eBay price history for reference.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #9,070 of 12,335
Cool I will look around more when time allows. I just looked through the first page of listings, and there was an auction that may be more realistic.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #9,072 of 12,335
I know. I have used EBay since it’s inception and a similar company prior to them that lacked their foresight. Some of the higher priced tubes may not sell just like the listing for Crack amps at $650, they may be there for quite a while lol. An item is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it.

Mar 11, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #9,073 of 12,335
I know. I have used EBay since it’s inception and a similar company prior to them that lacked their foresight. Some of the higher priced tubes may not sell just like the listing for Crack amps at $650, they may be there for quite a while lol. An item is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it.
There are other good amp kits available for DIY.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #9,074 of 12,335
I did Dynaco years ago but have only dealt with Bottlehead recently as well as one I helped design.
I am running out of space for amps, computers, speakers, headphones etc. My shop is filled with test equipment, tools, and components.

Mar 11, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #9,075 of 12,335

An interesting test. However, .... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back