Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Aug 17, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #5,821 of 12,335
 The way i installed the CAPS by facing the logo from left to right  the lead on the left is on the negative side where the stock cap was and the right  lead is on the positive side of the stock cap and it's the same orientation for the other cap.
How did you guys orient your caps?
Does the orientation of the caps matters?
Thank You!

Aug 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #5,822 of 12,335

Many DAC's do not output the same voltage at the line out. So hearing a difference would be expected (just as not doing level matching shows obvious differences in other "tests") - but those "obvious differences" usually vanish once properly level matched. 

Anyway... enjoy your new rig. I don't think you'll be disappointed. :)

Yup... You're right about that.
biggrin.gif

Aug 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #5,823 of 12,335
   The way i installed the CAPS by facing the logo from left to right  the lead on the left is on the negative side where the stock cap was and the right  lead is on the positive side of the stock cap and it's the same orientation for the other cap.
How did you guys orient your caps?
Does the orientation of the caps matters?
Thank You!

Electrically, the orientation does not matter. As stated earlier there is occasionally a recommended orientation, however I don't go out of my way to achieve it, for I can't tell the difference.

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #5,824 of 12,335
Electrolytic capacitors definitely need to be installed the correct direction (or they go boom). However, most of the capacitors like the Mundorfs are bi-polar, and it generally* doesn't matter which way you install them.

* some people suggest there might be a reason to orient them specifically. This thread at DIY audio covers some of that. 
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/7593-black-gate-super-e-caps-8.html#post121850

Aug 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #5,825 of 12,335
Ideally, to minimize noise, the lead connected to the inner foil of the cap is what you want as the cap's output.

Some manufacturers specify this. There is also a thread on the bh site where PJ described an experiment you can perform to figure it out. Like trentrosa though, I've never been able to hear any difference when flipping the orientation of film caps.

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #5,827 of 12,335
Hi all. Due to a new addition to the family, my headphone days are sadly over. I've put my SB'd cap-modded Crack, my HD650s and a couple of tubes (GEC brown base & TS 5998) on eBay UK. They're all pretty cheap. 200 quid for the Crack. 90 for the phones. 40 for the tubes. They've just got to make way. Pretty gutted to be honest as the SB Crack + GEC & E80CC + HD650s are basically the best I've ever heard music but yeah, a bittersweet feeling, I suppose.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #5,828 of 12,335
What's your eBay username?

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #5,829 of 12,335
  Hi all. Due to a new addition to the family, my headphone days are sadly over. I've put my SB'd cap-modded Crack, my HD650s and a couple of tubes (GEC brown base & TS 5998) on eBay UK. They're all pretty cheap. 200 quid for the Crack. 90 for the phones. 40 for the tubes. They've just got to make way. Pretty gutted to be honest as the SB Crack + GEC & E80CC + HD650s are basically the best I've ever heard music but yeah, a bittersweet feeling, I suppose.

Below are the links to the bidding of the Crack and the GEC tube grrraymond is referring to, just in case someone needs it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bottlehead-Crack-OTL-Headphone-Amplifier-/161400771692?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item25943c546c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEC-Brown-Base-6AS7G-A1834-CV2523-/161399864800?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item25942e7de0

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #5,830 of 12,335

Congrats on the new addition (I'm going to assume a baby and not an overactive puppy or something
tongue.gif
). PM sent.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #5,832 of 12,335

also a new recent father, you should hold on to your ****.  Its pretty heavenly to take even 1/2 hour to yourself to listen after doing all the parent stuff.  Its important not to give up everything just because you have a kid.  your still you, and you still enjoy what you enjoy.  Now, if you need the money, thats different.  then ignore me.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #5,833 of 12,335
  also a new recent father, you should hold on to your ****.  Its pretty heavenly to take even 1/2 hour to yourself to listen after doing all the parent stuff.  Its important not to give up everything just because you have a kid.  your still you, and you still enjoy what you enjoy.  Now, if you need the money, thats different.  then ignore me.

What he said.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #5,834 of 12,335

What's your eBay username?

and password 
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #5,835 of 12,335

Ditto that if finances permit!  Plus, a couple of years down the road, it is just incredibly gratifying to get to share this hobby and your self built amp(s) with your little one(s).  If I fire up the mainline and hand over my hd800's, my 4 year old will sit quietly and soak in the tunes for a good 15-20 minutes before I can pry them away from her.  My wife indulges, but can't relate to, my love of hifi headphones, but my kid clearly gets it and is thrilled by any opportunity to listen to the main rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back