Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #8,311 of 12,346
I have not received my Crack yet, I downloaded the PDF's but have not had a lot of time to look at them. I have a feeling if you search the Bottlehead website or even this thread you will find people talking about various pots they have used. I could talk in general about potentiometers and rheostats but that is not going to answer specific questions. After value and wattage rating, the best info might be from folks who have tried specific volume pots. There are a couple ways you can approach such a build, someone tells you were to solder a red wire and a white wire or you can learn how another brand of product hooks up and how a potentiometer works. I always found it more fun to do some research and learn something and there is plenty of info out there on the Cracks.

I agree. I have not received my Crack yet either. For the low price of the Alps pot - being a known and well trusted manufacturer around here - I picked one up.

Sure, ladder type pots should provide a better signal path and constant impedance, but I've never heard of the maker of the one that was linked which seems to be cheap-fi ebay stuff, and I'd rather stick with a known quantity.

Also, consider what you're sticking it into. Sure, the Crack is a good amp, but I'd argue putting a well known attenuator like the Khozmo or Audio Note into it would be overkill. Spend that cash on a Crackatwo, imo.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #8,313 of 12,346
I may build my son one so it would allow me to have one to compare to the custom Crack I will build. For a while I would be able to switch between them to compare the sound and know how much difference a pot, or capacitors will make. If the change is significant, I will know to do the same upgrades to his. If I catch a deal on a completed one that has had some upgrades I will work toward getting my build to the same level.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #8,314 of 12,346
I may build my son one so it would allow me to have one to compare to the custom Crack I will build. For a while I would be able to switch between them to compare the sound and know how much difference a pot, or capacitors will make. If the change is significant, I will know to do the same upgrades to his. If I catch a deal on a completed one that has had some upgrades I will work toward getting my build to the same level.

I borrowed a friend's fully pimped out crack with all the giant caps and choke and unobtanium everything, and compared it to my mostly stock crack, and guess what, they sound the same (with the similar tubes) to me. Like I've said, I'm lucky that I can't hear these very subtle differences that so many claim to be able to hear. Either than, or their really isn't as much a difference in sound as many claim. Or there isn't that much a difference in sound for the music I listen to.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #8,315 of 12,346

I borrowed a friend's fully pimped out crack with all the giant caps and choke and unobtanium everything, and compared it to my mostly stock crack, and guess what, they sound the same (with the similar tubes) to me. Like I've said, I'm lucky that I can't hear these very subtle differences that so many claim to be able to hear. Either than, or their really isn't as much a difference in sound as many claim. Or there isn't that much a difference in sound for the music I listen to.

That is good to know, my son is fully capable of pimping his down the road but time is always a factor for him. I just saw a non working one on Ebay for $350 opening bid lol, it claimed it had the speedball upgrade but sure did not show in the photo as best I could tell. If I can catch one for $300 used with speedball I will probably snag it just to save me a little time as I do my own build. For the next month or so I may be on electronics all weekend anyway and I am anxious to build my own amp.  Monday I have 6 more pieces of 1/8 inch copper plate arriving and bakelite sockets and inch and a half copper rod. My wife is fine with this build, a giant tesla coil with bucket capacitors makes this look so tame. Everything is relative.

Some of the Chesky stuff I listen to, there are a lot of subtle little noises that come through that lend to the appeal. Slight nuances.

Mar 24, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #8,316 of 12,346
I have not received my Crack yet, I downloaded the PDF's but have not had a lot of time to look at them. I have a feeling if you search the Bottlehead website or even this thread you will find people talking about various pots they have used. I could talk in general about potentiometers and rheostats but that is not going to answer specific questions. After value and wattage rating, the best info might be from folks who have tried specific volume pots. There are a couple ways you can approach such a build, someone tells you were to solder a red wire and a white wire or you can learn how another brand of product hooks up and how a potentiometer works. I always found it more fun to do some research and learn something and there is plenty of info out there on the Cracks.

​There was a user on Reddit that used this pot specifically, despite its peculiar size and solder points.  I'm still working through this thread for feedback, but I'll probably go with the ALPS above.

Many thanks!
I think i will go for the Alps!

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #8,318 of 12,346
Right now I a spending more on cosmetics, just purchased enough quartered oak for two cabinets so most everything I will do on the outside is covered. I might even use hinges so the tops tilt up and lock in place but that idea is still on the drawing board.

I did order a blue velvet to check out. Anything reminiscent of a David Lynch film should be good.

Tom

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #8,319 of 12,346
Allanmarcus,

That has been my experience as well....the upgrades that modders do are "neat" and look cool, but in reality there isnt much of a real world sonic difference to my ears....but having a well made stepped vol pot is a nice mechanical thing and the low volume area of the pot that many pots have tracking issues with may be much better...this is a nice thing.

Even though 99% of the time we dont listen at these low volume levels.

The basic Crack circuit and the speedball is the magic here....BH has done a nice job in its design and simplicity.

Alex

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #8,320 of 12,346
Allanmarcus,

That has been my experience as well....the upgrades that modders do are "neat" and look cool, but in reality there isnt much of a real world sonic difference to my ears....but having a well made stepped vol pot is a nice mechanical thing and the low volume area of the pot that many pots have tracking issues with may be much better...this is a nice thing.

The basic Crack circuit and the speedball is the magic here....BH has done a nice job in its design and simplicity.

Alex

It is really good to get info like that. I have yet to see one up close so I respect most any comment about the amp. I should know this but it has been a while since I studied it but audio taper pots are logrithmic as opposed to linear where half way down the pot would be half the resistance. I am sure there is some variance between brands and types on how that taper is set up. Ladder type pots might offer more variables on that range but that is just a hunch. It is obvious there is a fixed resistance when switching between said resistors.

I do not mean to butt in, I am in the process of building 300-400 audio cables this weekend and need a break from time to time. So far the only electronic components I have ordered for my amp is the Blue Velvet pot, some bakelite tube sockets, and I will be upgrading the headphone jack. The sockets and jack will not make an audible change, I am thinking more of longevity on the jack and I am going old school look on the tube sockets.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #8,321 of 12,346
Allanmarcus,

Alex

The low volume issue is the main reason I got the blue velvet. Works well at low volume.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #8,322 of 12,346
The low volume issue is the main reason I got the blue velvet. Works well at low volume.

Very cool. Allan is very down to earth and were I to buy a working Crack as well as building my own I would certainly trust his workmanship and component choices. Time can be a factor for me. 

The large cat in my avatar is trying to help me with cables right now. He is a lot of help provided I want teeth marks in the pvc jackets.

It is not a sonic improvement but since I am installing dual VU meters, I will more than likely install dual Blue Velvet volume pots once I check one out. Having the extra plate on the front and more room gives me more choices. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #8,323 of 12,346

I now have all the copper needed for the cabinets on two Cracks. Enough copper rod for control knobs. My wife came in carrying the mail and asked if I was buying bricks.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #8,324 of 12,346
Getting into the commodities business, eh?

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #8,325 of 12,346

Quote:
Getting into the commodities business, eh?

I sold my gold when it was at an all time high so I invested in copper lol. The knobs may have to be hollowed out a bit, I do not want the amp tipping forward from the weight. I want individual volume pots for right and left channel, I may mount an on off switch on the left hand side of the cabinet and the headphone jack on the right. I may have them on small plates inset into the wood, copper plates naturally. The electronics is fairly easy for me so I am concentrating on the cabinet build. I intend for it to sound good of course and I will have extra room for adding future updates. The vu meters and volume knobs for each channel should be pretty close to the same size, mind you there will be a green patina on the copper, all cables and headphones will look steam punk if everything works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back