Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 26, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #8,327 of 12,335

I will more than likely install dual Blue Velvet volume pots once I check one out. 

On the BH forum's i've seen the experienced builders vote against this option. 
BH once had a foreplay with dual volume control. Using a separate volume control on each channel could be a PITA for adjustment.. 

The Koss ESP-950 has dual adjustment. It's not horrible, but it would be much better to have a balance and a volume, or even better, no need for balance and just a volume (you know, like the Crack has :)

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #8,328 of 12,335

On the BH forum's i've seen the experienced builders vote against this option. 
BH once had a foreplay with dual volume control. Using a separate volume control on each channel could be a PITA for adjustment.. 

I may test single as well as dual. I have the option on a couple amps I like real well and they have never given me any issues as far as adjustment. I am not exactly a novice builder by any stretch of the imagination. Dual VU meters will give me a good visual representation as well. There are several pieces of music I can think of where I would like to bring up one channel slightly in respect to the other so I prefer having that ability. Each to their own. I am not a fan of balance controls, I will go dual controls, one for each channel. A copper plate with copper knobs might be a bit much so I may go with something with more of a contrast such as this on one amp I build. Antique bakelite will match the sockets I am using.

Tom

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #8,329 of 12,335
If you do not mind me asking, you have four screw heads around that front tube socket. On a lot of the Cracks I see two empty holes. Are the four screws (bolts) used for the tube socket or other upgrades?

Thank you for asking that. Been wondering that myself! My Crack is stock & I have two empty holes. I see others with 4 screw heads & wondered why mine had 2 open haha. NOW I get it! My Speedball upgrade is sitting here waiting to be installed but I haven't felt the need yet. It's that good.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #8,330 of 12,335
Thank you for asking that. Been wondering that myself! My Crack is stock & I have two empty holes. I see others with 4 screw heads & wondered why mine had 2 open haha. NOW I get it! My Speedball upgrade is sitting here waiting to be installed but I haven't felt the need yet. It's that good.

That is good to know about the sound without the upgrade. I will be putting those four holes in my top plate, holes for tube sockets and transformer but that should be about it I hope.

Anyone know of much difference between the 1.0 crack and the 1.1? I may be buying a couple of these and want to have an idea about versions.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #8,331 of 12,335
That is good to know about the sound without the upgrade. I will be putting those four holes in my top plate, holes for tube sockets and transformer but that should be about it I hope.

Anyone know of much difference between the 1.0 crack and the 1.1? I may be buying a couple of these and want to have an idea about versions.

I highly recommend you build yours stock first. Listen, enjoy & SB it later. BH actually recommends this approach too. This way if you need to trouble shoot anything upon initial start up you won't have to remove the SB & go to stock to do the troubleshooting. A LOT less hassle. Plus you get to get used to the stock sound & really hear what the SB upgrade does to the Crack. It's a BEAUTIFUL amp in my opinion, both looks & definitely sound!! I'll never sell my Crack! -insert crude joke here-lol

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #8,332 of 12,335

I think the difference is the universal voltage transformer and a better manual.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #8,334 of 12,335
Correct
Correct!

Oh good well I have a 1.1 on the way and if I buy a 1.0 from someone in the states I should be safe. I could have looked that up myself but I had a feeling it was a pretty easy question for you folks. Now that I was planning to build two of the Cracks my son may want a higher end headphone amp from Bottlehead so I may be building something else as well. My time is less valuable and I am faster so it makes sense to me.

Mar 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #8,336 of 12,335
Going to build my new one straight stock and after checks go straight to the SB so I'll be able to a/b them after I'm done. I bought the SB to put in the old one but then Bottlehead had the sale so I'm glad I waited. Still waiting on LED's to fix the old one. I hope to get it once I get back from vacation to CanJam SoCal so I should be inspired to get it done pretty quick.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #8,337 of 12,335

yes that will work

note, for the alps pot I recommended, I think I had to make some minor mods to the plate. It was easy with a drill, but just saying.

​Do you recall roughly what mods were needed?  How much of a PITA is it to install the stock pot, and then upgrade the pot when I upgrade the speedball mod?

The depends. I took the opportunity to replace the twisted three wires that come from the RCA connectors to the POT with two shielded wires. The issue with a replacement pot is the length of the wires from the RCA connectors to the POT. The big-ass pots might require slightly longer wire. Very easy to make a wire shorter; much harder to make is longer! The good news is you can purchase shielded 24AWG wire from markertek.com by the foot for under $1 a foot, so replacing the wire, if you have to, will only cost a few bucks.

As for the mods to the plate, they were easy with a round file or a drill. I just had to enlarge a hole a little. If you don't have a file or file set, this will be your opportunity to get one! You don't need to spend a ton; harbor freight probably has a set for a few bucks. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #8,338 of 12,335
Going to build my new one straight stock and after checks go straight to the SB so I'll be able to a/b them after I'm done. I bought the SB to put in the old one but then Bottlehead had the sale so I'm glad I waited. Still waiting on LED's to fix the old one. I hope to get it once I get back from vacation to CanJam SoCal so I should be inspired to get it done pretty quick.

Once I see a kit I can probably help with LED's, I have an assortment left over from test equipment builds. If my son decides to move up to a Mainline or such I should have plenty of copper and such left over after I build a Crack. I normally buy things in two's anyway and I doubt some of the items will fit the other build. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #8,339 of 12,335

Once I see a kit I can probably help with LED's, I have an assortment left over from test equipment builds. If my son decides to move up to a Mainline or such I should have plenty of copper and such left over after I build a Crack. I normally buy things in two's anyway and I doubt some of the items will fit the other build. 

The LEDs are very very specific. There is discussion on these on the BH Crack forum. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #8,340 of 12,335

The LEDs are very very specific. There is discussion on these on the BH Crack forum. 

Interesting. I may have to look that one up, now I am curious. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back