Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 27, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #8,341 of 12,335

The depends. I took the opportunity to replace the twisted three wires that come from the RCA connectors to the POT with two shielded wires. The issue with a replacement pot is the length of the wires from the RCA connectors to the POT. The big-ass pots might require slightly longer wire. Very easy to make a wire shorter; much harder to make is longer! The good news is you can purchase shielded 24AWG wire from markertek.com by the foot for under $1 a foot, so replacing the wire, if you have to, will only cost a few bucks.

As for the mods to the plate, they were easy with a round file or a drill. I just had to enlarge a hole a little. If you don't have a file or file set, this will be your opportunity to get one! You don't need to spend a ton; harbor freight probably has a set for a few bucks. 

One of the first changes I was going to make were the three twisted wires, now I wish I had included some with the coaxial cable I sent Neddoge. I am using two pots anyway since I will run dual pots as well as replacing the quarter inch jack. I really should look at the PDF for this amp sometime but I still have a bit of a wait for the kit.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #8,342 of 12,335
I ordered 5 leds when I bought the new Crack so I guess they will arrive together.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #8,343 of 12,335
I ordered 5 leds when I bought the new Crack so I guess they will arrive together.

​hlmp 6000 through hole poly dome red made by Broadcom perhaps? I will know more when I see one.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #8,344 of 12,335
Mar 27, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #8,345 of 12,335
  http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=8977.0

That is certainly what I read them to be, I was not saying to throw any LED in there, I have a large selection and have used that part before but I may have to look around a bit. I should tell you, the last time I hired someone to organize my shop, he took one look at it and told me he would need a team. I have some parts, not so much copper plate, I had to order that, but electronic parts I have.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #8,346 of 12,335
That is certainly what I read them to be, I was not saying to throw any LED in there, I have a large selection and have used that part before but I may have to look around a bit. I should tell you, the last time I hired someone to organize my shop, he took one look at it and told me he would need a team. I have some parts, not so much copper plate, I had to order that, but electronic parts I have.
Not a big deal they are on order and I have many headphones and amps to keep me busy till then ; )

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #8,347 of 12,335
Not a big deal they are on order and I have many headphones and amps to keep me busy till then ; )

Ok it could take me a while to find them honestly. I can order as many as 1300 and have them in a couple days but searching my shop is another matter lol. No disrespect to anyone building a Crack of course or working with electronics for the first time.

The area I live in used to be a hotbed for electronics. It always saddened me to go to a garage sale and see cabinets of electronic parts that used to mean something to someone and the widow selling them off. If I have something, and I can help, I offer it. I cannot recall if I sent you anything Buke but I have with Alanmarkus, and Neddoge and others on here; it is just how I think.

As I said before I am more interested in the cosmetics, the electronics you may not recognize much when I am done but the metallurgy, the chemistry, and the physics are what interest me about this project.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #8,348 of 12,335
Ok it could take me a while to find them honestly. I can order as many as 1300 and have them in a couple days but searching my shop is another matter lol. No disrespect to anyone building a Crack of course or working with electronics for the first time.

The area I live in used to be a hotbed for electronics. It always saddened me to go to a garage sale and see cabinets of electronic parts that used to mean something to someone and the widow selling them off. If I have something, and I can help, I offer it. I cannot recall if I sent you anything Buke but I have with Alanmarkus, and Neddoge and others on here; it is just how I think.

As I said before I am more interested in the cosmetics, the electronics you may not recognize much when I am done but the metallurgy, the chemistry, and the physics are what interest me about this project.
You sent me some wire that I have yet to utilize. I still am working on some Walnut for you it just seems too much gets in the way to do it. I'm going to try to do it this week. The largest width I can do is 6 inches. I'll try and plane some for you to check out. I have to break out some that I have not seen as they are rough cut and different thickness. I will get back to you.

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #8,349 of 12,335
You sent me some wire that I have yet to utilize. I still am working on some Walnut for you it just seems too much gets in the way to do it. I'm going to try to do it this week. The largest width I can do is 6 inches. I'll try and plane some for you to check out. I have to break out some that I have not seen as they are rough cut and different thickness. I will get back to you.

not a problem either way. I can work with six inches or if need be I have access to a planer that will handle as wide as 12. I have a couple employees who do some woodworking and I will enlist their help as needed. The copper knobs are a bigger issue, if those do not work out I will use antique bakelite. I am using 4 inch by 4 inch plates on front and back. The front plate will have two vu meters and dual volume knobs. There are some Chesky recordings where I would love to tweak the right channel just a bit, maybe my hearing is less on that side but it is usually high frequencies that I do not pick up like I should. Once I figure out which amp my son wants, I will know more about how many extra parts I have lol. I do believe I can lay my hands on 1/8 inch 6x10 copper plates whenever I want so that is easy.

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #8,350 of 12,335

Here is the fit for the drivers of the headphones I am modding for use with the Crack. These are 250 ohm but once I know this works and sounds the way I want I will most likely mod some for 600 ohm. I thought the fit would be close but this is way better than I hoped. When completed they should sound a little like Beyerdynamic.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #8,351 of 12,335
How easy is it to sell a Crack once completed? I would think a lot of the joy is building it yourself. I may end up with an extra one but it should be customized with a cabinet upgrade and copper plates and such.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #8,352 of 12,335
  How easy is it to sell a Crack once completed? I would think a lot of the joy is building it yourself. I may end up with an extra one but it should be customized with a cabinet upgrade and copper plates and such.

The stock ones go pretty quick on ebay, though there are alot of 'em right now. Adding artistic flare as you are talking about could increase the price but require the right buyer, and as such make it a longer turn around. It's a pretty popular amp and there alot of people who simply don't want to build it ( so sad for them ).

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #8,353 of 12,335
It will sell quick as long as your under $400 it is gone.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #8,354 of 12,335
It will sell quick as long as your under $400 it is gone.
I doubt I will do VU meters and dual volume controls on the one I sell so under $400 should be doable perhaps.

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #8,355 of 12,335
I'm still waiting for mine to ship. I probably shouldn't have waited until the last night of the sale to order. No hurry though. Plenty of other projects to do! Just found the shipping status page on their website though. Getting closer! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back