Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #8,371 of 12,335
  Hello everyone!

I'm new on this thread. I searched around but I couldn't find the answers.

1. How does the Crack pairs with the LCD-X?

2. Since I'm not sure about my abilities, is there any place to buy prebuilt?

not well. It only works well with high impedance headphones. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #8,372 of 12,335
  If I read the specs correctly they are 20 ohm headphones...

Cack is output transformerless amp designed for higher impedance heeadpones like the Sennheiser, AKG, and Beyer designs.

20 ohms is not "higher impedance"....

Not a good choice for these headphones...IMO

Alex

I checked a few AKG models and the ones I saw were rated at 62 ohms. What models do you feel would work or is the 62 ohm high enough?

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #8,373 of 12,335
  Hello everyone!

I'm new on this thread. I searched around but I couldn't find the answers.

1. How does the Crack pairs with the LCD-X?

2. Since I'm not sure about my abilities, is there any place to buy prebuilt?

There are some completed ones on ebay, one is going for as much as $650 as I recall. The folks at Bottlehead may be able to build you one for a certain price. Heck if you buy a kit and send it to me, I would probably build you one for a couple bottles of single malt scotch. (I get to pick the scotch.)

If you wanted one with all the modifications I will make on my own, that is doable as well except the scotch requirement suddenly aged by a decade or so.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #8,374 of 12,335
  There are some completed ones on ebay, one is going for as much as $650 as I recall. The folks at Bottlehead may be able to build you one for a certain price. Heck if you buy a kit and send it to me, I would probably build you one for a couple bottles of single malt scotch. (I get to pick the scotch.)

I would gladly pay you for that! Unfortunately it won't be a good match for my LCD-X. I think S.E.X. would be better, but it's out of my price range.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #8,375 of 12,335

I would gladly pay you for that! Unfortunately it won't be a good match for my LCD-X. I think S.E.X. would be better, but it's out of my price range.

Give me your price range for a built crack and a set of headphones that would work with it. And please tell me you are in the continental US otherwise worldwide shipping and customs and such might get messy.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #8,376 of 12,335

Give me your price range for a built crack and a set of headphones that would work with it. And please tell me you are in the continental US otherwise worldwide shipping and customs and such might get messy.

Right now I'm looking something to get the best out of the LCD-X.

Aaaand nowhere near US. Right now Asia but in a few months I'll be back in Europe.

Customs are messy as phuck in my country. Held the X's for a month and asked me for too much money to release them.
It's just a mandatory kidnaping.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #8,377 of 12,335

Aaaand nowhere near US. Right now Asia but in a few months I'll be back in Europe.

Customs are messy as phuck in my country. Held the X's for a month and asked me for too much money to release them.
It's just a mandatory kidnaping.

not a problem and I just checked the price on the SEX so it probably would not have been doable anyway.  If anyone else needs one built I do not mind helping out, within reason lol.

Apr 5, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #8,378 of 12,335

Hey deserat, 

Yeah only the one step is wrong. It's actually step 3 though not 4. I took a look at the resistors and nothing seems broken, reflowed them just in case. There aren't any exposed leads or cables everything is trimmed as nice and neat as I could. I checked for solder bridges between steps 2 and 3 as well as steps 3 and 4 but everything looks good. Really unsure about what could be the cause of this since the pot was working perfectly before.

Is it safe to assume the problem is solely in the pot or is it possible that somewhere along the way something in the Crack circuitry is affecting this.

I would bet it's the attenuator, but it could be elsewhere. Pots and Attenuators adjust resistance so you could  try hooking up your MultiMeter set to "ohms" to the in and out of each channel then reading and writing down the resistance at each step, first left channel, then right channel. If the resistance doesn't match for left and right at each step or if the one of the steps is not between  Step -1 and Step +1 ( Step 3's resistance is not between Step 2 and Step 4 ) then it's the Attenuator.  Could be a bad resistor. Depending on the cost of your attenuator, it might be worth replacing the resistor or the whole attenuator.   

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #8,379 of 12,335
Carlos, why dont you get an amp that will drive your LCDx's?? 
or 
Get a set of cans that will work with the Crack?

I have a crack and 8 other amps....the crack is great, but there are other great amps that will work with your
LCD'x s if thats what you really want to use..

Alex

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #8,380 of 12,335
Apr 5, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #8,381 of 12,335

You should read and post in the LCD-X thread. Lot's a good advice and expertise there.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/684394/audeze-lcd-x

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #8,382 of 12,335
Getting back to Crack discussion, hopefully the amps ordered during the sale will ship soon. I check shipping status but nothing as yet.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #8,383 of 12,335
Getting back to Crack discussion, hopefully the amps ordered during the sale will ship soon. I check shipping status but nothing as yet.
It took 6 weeks I think to get my Speedball upgrade so this should be about the same.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #8,384 of 12,335
Cool cause I am anxious to start the build and check out the ground setup so I can see how I can rearrange things. I have a few types of AC switches I want to use but I definitely want something brass and ancient looking. Toggle or push button.

Apr 5, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #8,385 of 12,335

Got mine a week ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back