Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 23, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #8,296 of 12,346

Noticed the 4 screws on the plate by the transformer the 2 on the side of the tranny is for the diodes and the 2 in front of the tranny is for the film caps now at least you can decide how would you like to attach those upgrades if you ever decide to do them.I hope you make those plate larger and the box taller so you have more room to install those upgrades,Hope this help.
These are old photos.

I think you should try some large caps. Those look wimpy!

wink.gif

NO THANKS!Those Caps are just wimpy MUNDORF let me guess you used DUELAND.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #8,297 of 12,346
  i luvmusic 2,

Might I ask which ones are worth the money and which ones are not in you opinion??

Thanks,
Alex

I would say the Speedball,Volume Pot and the Cree Diode.Which ones are not?You be the judge and if you will asked me about  that caps to my ears for what i paid for them including the bypass caps not worth my $$$.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #8,298 of 12,346
When looking at caps consider the Russian MGBO paper in oil capacitors for the outputs caps, I've seen a couple of Cracks with them now. I used them with a russian teflon bypass they were a superb combo with my Beyer T1's and ousted a pair of expensive 100uf Mundorfs.

Six 30uf 160v capacitors like the ones in the link will set you back about $10 + shipping but you need to get creative fitting them in.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-uF-160-V-LOT-OF-2-RUSSIAN-PAPER-PIO-AUDIO-CAPACITORS-MBGO-2-/272564648176?hash=item3f761e78f0:g:KeUAAOSwCU1YtLNE

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #8,299 of 12,346
I am totally happy with the Crack with its speedball constant current design...I agree with Doc, its more the design of the circuit than all the extra stuff...not trying to take away any fun of modding your Crack..have at it.

I would rather spend the bucks on a Mainline or new headhpones!! or some NOS Beer!! LOL!

Alex

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #8,300 of 12,346
  I am totally happy with the Crack with its speedball constant current design...I agree with Doc, its more the design of the circuit than all the extra stuff...not trying to take away any fun of modding your Crack..have at it.

I would rather spend the bucks on a Mainline or new headhpones!! or some NOS Beer!! LOL!

Alex

The way the premium tube prices have been going up it is certainly very easy to spend a small fortune on hot rodding up your Crack. But on the other hand it is a hell of a lot of fun and can give hours of enjoyment and of course can be done piece meal. I am positive that if I hadn't done the Crack I would never have had the confidence to build a Sex, Mainline or Eros myself with no prior build experience, hats off to those who do..

But if you have deep pockets I can honestly say the Mainline is seriously good!

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #8,301 of 12,346
The way the premium tube prices have been going up it is certainly very easy to spend a small fortune on hot rodding up your Crack. But on the other hand it is a hell of a lot of fun and can give hours of enjoyment and of course can be done piece meal. I am positive that if I hadn't done the Crack I would never have had the confidence to build a Sex, Mainline or Eros myself with no prior build experience, hats off to those who do..

But if you have deep pockets I can honestly say the Mainline is seriously good!

I thought pot was a gateway drug... Looks like we have progressed to Crack.

About the Mainline, have you heard other amps in it's price range and how would you compare them?

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #8,303 of 12,346
Which pot is everybody using in their Crack over the stock version?  I've heard of a 100k Blue Velvet and a Valeb stepped ladder.

I use this alps pot. Made a significant improvement and cost $11

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-ALPS-RK27-VOLUME-Potentiometer-Dual-100K-100KAX2-Slotted-/320816794126

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #8,304 of 12,346
I use this alps pot. Make a significant improvement and cost $11

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japan-ALPS-RK27-VOLUME-Potentiometer-Dual-100K-100KAX2-Slotted-/320816794126

I have always had great success with Alps and they would be my brand of choice as well.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #8,305 of 12,346
  I have always had great success with Alps and they would be my brand of choice as well.

Thanks for the input Allan, Tom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302245653411

Any thoughts on this pot as well?  I had the Alps referenced above in my cart as well for comparison.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #8,307 of 12,346
Are these 100% compatible with the Crack, especially physically wise? It's been quite a while since i assembled the Crack, is it only two cables that need soldering? Many thanks!

I have not received my Crack yet, I downloaded the PDF's but have not had a lot of time to look at them. I have a feeling if you search the Bottlehead website or even this thread you will find people talking about various pots they have used. I could talk in general about potentiometers and rheostats but that is not going to answer specific questions. After value and wattage rating, the best info might be from folks who have tried specific volume pots. There are a couple ways you can approach such a build, someone tells you were to solder a red wire and a white wire or you can learn how another brand of product hooks up and how a potentiometer works. I always found it more fun to do some research and learn something and there is plenty of info out there on the Cracks.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #8,308 of 12,346
Are these 100% compatible with the Crack, especially physically wise? It's been quite a while since i assembled the Crack, is it only two cables that need soldering? Many thanks!

​There was a user on Reddit that used this pot specifically, despite its peculiar size and solder points.  I'm still working through this thread for feedback, but I'll probably go with the ALPS above.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #8,309 of 12,346

​There was a user on Reddit that used this pot specifically, despite its peculiar size and solder points.  I'm still working through this thread for feedback, but I'll probably go with the ALPS above.

There have been a lot of people doing mods on this amp for some time so I am sure the info is out there. What will be tricky is knowing the exact difference a $75 pot might  make compared to a $12.00 pot, you will see some Alps configured the same way with stepped resistors but they can be pretty pricey.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #8,310 of 12,346

Thanks for the input Allan, Tom.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302245653411

Any thoughts on this pot as well?  I had the Alps referenced above in my cart as well for comparison.

yes that will work

note, for the alps pot I recommended, I think I had to make some minor mods to the plate. It was easy with a drill, but just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back