Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 7, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #4,098 of 12,335

Sorry nic you will be pleased to know I am all done buying tubes for the time being. Somehow I ended up buying three GEC's this week! As well as the pair I put a low offer in on one that had just been listed and much to my surprise it was accepted and even came with a 28 day guarantee! 

Did you get the GEC quad?

No was outbid on the GEC 6080s. Happy you got the other GECs, I have plenty here so not worried. I have been buying these for >20 years now :) so their 'qualities' aren't a new thing for me. I am still impressed by Mullard and GEC 6080 and 6AS7G / A1834s. I also have plenty of Sylvania and Tung So 7236s and Tung Sol 5998 and Chatham 2399s but nearly always return to GECs and Mullards.

I assume your extra 6AS7G was the one on for £75 list? Re 5998, I found some old Angela Instrument info the other day (used to buy loads off them) and they were offering 10x 5998 Tung Sols for $135! I remember thinking they were expensive at the time :)

Edit. as I am musing about 5998, did you realise that Western Electric who have their 'equivalent' of 421a didn't do much work on rectifiers so their 422 is a modified 421a minus the grids!

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #4,099 of 12,335
Well, I just put in my order for a Crack with Speedball upgrade. Will build the base Crack first and play around with that for a while to see what the stock signature sounds like. I'm already thinking about case modifications that will relocate inputs to the back and volume/output to the front. Would love to check out designs that did that.

Mar 7, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #4,100 of 12,335

Edit. as I am musing about 5998, did you realise that Western Electric who have their 'equivalent' of 421a didn't do much work on rectifiers so their 422 is a modified 421a minus the grids!

Nic thanks for the info, I look every so often at the WE 421a but they are way over what I feel is acceptable value, especially when the GEC 6as7g can be had for a fraction of the price.

Mar 7, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #4,101 of 12,335
yes the problem with WE is people are buying a massive premium for the name, the downside for us is the quality is nearly always top notch :wink:, luckily we have many great makes making top tubes like Tung Sol, GEC and Mullard.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #4,102 of 12,335
Well, I just put in my order for a Crack with Speedball upgrade. Will build the base Crack first and play around with that for a while to see what the stock signature sounds like. I'm already thinking about case modifications that will relocate inputs to the back and volume/output to the front. Would love to check out designs that did that.

Congratulations!

What do you mean about the modifications? That's how it's normally designed - inputs at the back right corner, HPO and volume at the front. Or do you mean set into the timber frame?

Mar 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #4,104 of 12,335
  As soon as it ships out and when I build it! Just planning ahead! 

That's what I call an awesome rig "in-potentia". 
wink_face.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,105 of 12,335

Congratulations!

What do you mean about the modifications? That's how it's normally designed - inputs at the back right corner, HPO and volume at the front. Or do you mean set into the timber frame?

Well, I'm thinking of doing a different housing all together, but yeah. I want the inputs rear-facing and the output/volume front facing. Everything else stays on top.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #4,106 of 12,335
Ooo! Very much like this..

Yeah, I forgot to mention power rear facing as well. Whoever those are, I'm ripping off your idea. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #4,107 of 12,335
  Ooo! Very much like this..

Yeah, I forgot to mention power rear facing as well. Whoever those are, I'm ripping off your idea. 
beerchug.gif

That would be Head-Fi user themusic2's build, and that was an early rendition. You can see more of the final version here: LINK

That chassis plate was a custom design and cut deal and IIRC it was $120 to have made.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #4,108 of 12,335
Those pics are great. Which reminds me - we had an unfortunate loss of our archved images on the Bottlehead Forum when we changed web hosts. If anyone has posted some pics of their projects in the past I would appreciate your reattaching a new copy of the pic to your original post. It's really a bummer that some great looking pics were lost, and I imagine a lot of them are still on someone's hard drive.

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #4,109 of 12,335
Wow, I like the looks of that ^^^.  I ordered my kit Tuesday night and now I'm tempted to pick up some aluminum and do some bending and drilling.  Is the layout of the holes on the board available anywhere? 

Thanks...

Mar 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #4,110 of 12,335

Does anyone know if there are any sonic differences between the Tung-Sol 6080WA with Westinghouse label or without?
Heard people say the one with Westinghouse pairs really well with HD700. Please let me know! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back