Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #4,083 of 12,335
What is the reason you are being given that you can't do it, and by whom? The speaker manufacturer?

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,087 of 12,335
  The GEC 6as7g curved bases arrived today, they look brand new and more importantly they sound very nice indeed!

Nice, Please post some comparisons with TS 5998 (I assume you have one).

Quote:
THe GEC synergy with HD 800 is
eek.gif
. Was listening to HD 800 with the GEC + TS 6SN7 combo on the Crack last night, time flew & before I realised it was 2 pm & I got only 5 hours of sleep. Feeling so F@#%*d at work right now. Damm this hobby
rolleyes.gif

Listening to them right now, same story , different day
rolleyes.gif

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4,089 of 12,335
   grrr :) great tubes

Sorry nic you will be pleased to know I am all done buying tubes for the time being. Somehow I ended up buying three GEC's this week! As well as the pair I put a low offer in on one that had just been listed and much to my surprise it was accepted and even came with a 28 day guarantee! 

Did you get the GEC quad?

Originally Posted by punit

Nice, Please post some comparisons with TS 5998 (I assume you have one).

I do which type single or dual getter 
wink.gif

I need a bit more time with it first. Its very similar to the straight base but seems a touch more refined in the details, its hard to put a finger on at the moment. Safe to say its very much a grin inducing & toe tapping listen.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #4,090 of 12,335
  I just did a quick google search:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/843913-driving-powered-monitor-headphone-amp.html

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1439974

I would suggest that "someone else may know why it won't work" and "don't turn it up too loud" are not particularly lucid technical arguments. Yes, the Crack can put out a reasonably high level into a high impedance load. So can a lot of preamps. I have confidence that you can use some judgement with respect to levels. The comment about impedance makes no sense. The low output impedance of the Crack - relative to its use at line level - is a plus. The Crack was actually used as the starting point for a series of experiments in transformerless low impedance tube preamps that led to the development of our 300B preamp. But go with what you feel is the best answer for you.

Mar 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #4,091 of 12,335
  I would suggest that "someone else may know why it won't work" and "don't turn it up too loud" are not particularly lucid technical arguments. Yes, the Crack can put out a reasonably high level into a high impedance load. So can a lot of preamps. I have confidence that you can use some judgement with respect to levels. The comment about impedance makes no sense. The low output impedance of the Crack - relative to its use at line level - is a plus. The Crack was actually used as the starting point for a series of experiments in transformerless low impedance tube preamps that led to the development of our 300B preamp. But go with what you feel is the best answer for you.

Thanks, I'm definitely going to trust the person that designed this amp! I'm going to be dealing with 3 volumes here. The active monitors, my computer, and the crack. How should I go about adjusting these? I know for sure I don't want to be cranking up the crack!

Edit: Oh yeah, a subwoofer is also fine right? 

Excuse my basic questions...

What are the do's and don'ts of a tube amp?
When the amp is unused, turn it off..
Plug in the output device after 10 seconds warm up?
Unplug before turning off?
Turn the volume all the way down, then turn off?

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #4,092 of 12,335
  Thanks, I'm definitely going to trust the person that designed this amp! I'm going to be dealing with 3 volumes here. The active monitors, my computer, and the crack. How should I go about adjusting these? I know for sure I don't want to be cranking up the crack!

Edit: Oh yeah, a subwoofer is also fine right? 

Excuse my basic questions...

What are the do's and don'ts of a tube amp?
When the amp is unused, turn it off..
Plug in the output device after 10 seconds warm up?
Unplug before turning off?
Turn the volume all the way down, then turn off?

Do you need the Crack in the chain? If you have volume controls elsewhere I'd question whether the Crack is bringing significant benefit (unless of course you're looking to add tubey goodness)

Mar 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #4,093 of 12,335

Do you need the Crack in the chain? If you have volume controls elsewhere I'd question whether the Crack is bringing significant benefit (unless of course you're looking to add tubey goodness)

For tubiness, I found that the Quickie was a far better choice as a preamp, but you do need at least 20K ohms input impedance on your built-in amp, 40K if using PJCCS upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back