Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 8, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #4,127 of 12,335
Crack Cap rolling update

Cascade bypass of JFX 100uf Premium film audio coupling capacitors

Bypassed with

Russian K75-10 Hybrid Paper and Polyethylene Terephthalate in Oil (Mylar)

Bypassed with

Russian Teflon K72P6 Teflon

Beyer T1 and TS 5998 used for listening

I find myself enjoying the pairing of these capacitors they sound much better than the odd look they have shoehorned into the enclosure and held together with cable ties might suggest.

It has taken over 200hrs for the combination to settle down and a more coherent and refined sound to emerge.

With the Crack I find the K75-10 really very musical, fluid and engaging, PRaT is good its has a slightly dark flavour at lower volumes.  John L mentions  “jest and pop” in the presentation in his capacitor review ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/284863/orgy-of-capacitors-the-cap-thread) this comes through strongly and is very much akin to listening to vinyl on my Rega Planner 3, Just instant tow tapping head nodding enjoyment. Its a very engaging sound. 

Here’s the thing with the K75-10 I find it very musical the downside is the roll off. The top end has lost a lot of its crispness, gone is the metallic ting on triangles and cymbals which have now turned to softer schings instead of the crisp detailed ting, the bass is also a little loose and bloomy.

So I tried adding a K72P6 Teflon bypass to the K75-10 things started to improve while still keeping much of the K75-10 character.  With over 200hrs burn in the K72P6 Teflon influence on the top end has settled down and it makes for a much more coherent and refined sound, which the K75-10 lacked on its own.

Details and resolution are vastly improved while still keeping some of the zest and pop which I found engaging.

The aspect I have found most pleasing with this combination is the vocal presentation, both male and female voices come across beautifully with nice tone and texture and enough detail in the resolution to pick up the little nuances in word formation and expression.

The film and Teflon bypass capacitor combinations are throwing up some surprises and these Russian ex-military capacitors I have been experimenting with cost about the same as a cup of coffee each.

This is a combination that I could happily listen to for a long time.

pics

Edit thinking about it I will mark up the caps so I can always return them to the same positions later if need be.

Mar 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #4,129 of 12,335

biggrin.gif

lol That looks like something you would buy from a adults only store !

basshead.gif

Mar 8, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #4,133 of 12,335
Matt that looks super smart in black, on the bright side at least after waiting when it arrives you will be able to just plugin and play! I will look forward to your impression with the obbligato capacitors once all has burned in. I very nearly went with the obbligatos myself but never having swapped capacitors before I was a little daunted by their larger size and my own lack of experience.

Good things come to those who wait...

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #4,135 of 12,335

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

The panel has been spray painted with 8 layers of hammered dark grey paint.

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

Hope you like it.

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a dark grey hammered spray paint and cant find it anywhere! I have found black, silver (light grey) and grey, but no dark grey from Rustoleum or Krylon. What brand paint did you use for that chassis plate?

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #4,136 of 12,335
I replaced my pot yesterday and I'm little disappointed ,swapped stock pot for Alps Blue Velvet and things got a lot quitter is this normal ,is there burn-in period for this pot ??

EDIT; my adapter came in also and it works like a charm 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300980566962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #4,138 of 12,335
  I replaced my pot yesterday and I'm little disappointed ,swapped stock pot for Alps Blue Velvet and things got a lot quitter is this normal ,is there burn-in period for this pot ??

There seem to be mixed views on the Alps  Blue Velvet. There are apparently some cheap knock offs about. Did you get your channel imbalance sorted?

I was blown away by the Valab stepper, the difference was very noticeable has anyone else tried this?

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #4,139 of 12,335

There seem to be mixed views on the Alps  Blue Velvet. There are apparently some cheap knock offs about. Did you get your channel imbalance sorted?

I was blown away by the Valab stepper, the difference was very noticeable has anyone else tried this?

yes ,imbalance no more -I replaced phone jack ,RCA jack ,rerouted cables 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back