Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 20, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #3,781 of 12,346

I find the Mullard 6080 is also a nice sounding tube also and pairs well with the RCA Cleartop mentioned.

Agree. The Mullard 6080WA and the Mullard ECC82 are an awesome combo with brighter headphones, but the 6080WA needs the top end of the Cleartop with neutral-to-warm headphones.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #3,782 of 12,346

Agree. The Mullard 6080WA and the Mullard ECC82 are an awesome combo with brighter headphones, but the 6080WA needs the top end of the Cleartop with neutral-to-warm headphones.

After getting the BHC from you I have ordered around 6 6AS7 / 6080  & around 9 12AU7 tube variants. I sit with the BHC in the night swapping various combination of tubes & taking notes in my notepad about the SQ of each tube combination. It is so addictive, my wife thinks I am going crazy
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #3,783 of 12,346

After getting the BHC from you I have ordered around 6 6AS7 / 6080  & around 9 12AU7 tube variants. I sit with the BHC in the night swapping various combination of tubes & taking notes in my notepad about the SQ of each tube combination. It is so addictive, my wife thinks I am going crazy
biggrin.gif

LOL. Please apologise to your wife for me.

I completely understand what you mean. I had a really hard time letting go of some of my cheaper tubes even after I had no amp to use them in. I wanted to keep them just in case I ever bought another Crack!

Feb 20, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #3,784 of 12,346

I completely understand what you mean. I had a really hard time letting go of some of my cheaper tubes even after I had no amp to use them in. I wanted to keep them just in case I ever bought another Crack!

If you think that's bad, I'm already collecting a series of power tubes for the Crack, and I don't own one yet. I already own two Tung-Sol 5998's, several 6080's, and a few dozen 12AU7's. In my defense, I'm using the preamp tubes for my Bravo V2's. So it's not totally without purpose.

I think I am going to put in for a week's vacation when I finally do order and put together my kit. I'll need it, just for tube rolling
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,785 of 12,346

I can understand the tube rolling thing you might say , my wife also stopped asking me why i have so many tubes close to 200 most of them i dont listen to as they are spares or i have found better sounding ones i guess at one point its listening to them and also collecting them . whats nice about them is the mechanical part of it , to look at how there made thats appealing and also the age of these things .What fun. 

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,786 of 12,346

If you think that's bad, I'm already collecting a series of power tubes for the Crack, and I don't own one yet. I already own two Tung-Sol 5998's, several 6080's, and a few dozen 12AU7's. In my defense, I'm using the preamp tubes for my Bravo V2's. So it's not totally without purpose.

I think I am going to put in for a week's vacation when I finally do order and put together my kit. I'll need it, just for tube rolling
biggrin.gif

I like your style 
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3,787 of 12,346
I'm ready to stop buying tubes and start selling. I'm happy with my Tung-sol 5998 with either my Ken-Rad 5188 (1948) or my Phillips Mini-watt E80CC. Going to sell my duplicates and all the rest and concentrate on buying music instead.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #3,789 of 12,346
I think it's excessive if you reach a point when you've spent enough on tubes or caps where you could have afforded the Mainline instead. I doubt upgrades could get you to the level of the Mainline.

Feb 20, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #3,790 of 12,346
  can someone post a list of all compatible tubes we can use on Crack ?

The bottlehead forum has a listing of tubes, although they are currently down for upgrades/maintenance so you'll have to wait a couple days.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,792 of 12,346
I recently picked up a Tung-Sol 5998 and with it I sometimes hear a rustling sound in one channel.  I've since cleaned the pins, and I don't experience this with any other tube...  Is there anything else I can try to fix this?  Is this just a bad tube or..?

I had a 6AS7G that I got off the bay not too long ago that hummed, now this...  I have been so unlucky with power tubes 
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #3,793 of 12,346
We have been on the web so long that our old server setup is kind of like going into a hoarder's basement. We're finding stuff in there we didn't even know we had, that is creating some issues with the site migration  There is a team working hard today to shake out a last few odd glitches get us active on our new cloud host. Hope to have the new look up today. Keep your fingers crossed for us - unless you are holding a soldering iron.

Feb 20, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #3,794 of 12,346
  We have been on the web so long that our old server setup is kind of like going into a hoarder's basement. We're finding stuff in there we didn't even know we had, that is creating some issues with the site migration  There is a team working hard today to shake out a last few odd glitches get us active on our new cloud host. Hope to have the new look up today. Keep your fingers crossed for us - unless you are holding a soldering iron.

I had my soldering iron out on the Crack today.

I also got the camera out  to try and get a shot of the tubes glowing, well why not I am not the only one!  Anyhow as normal with such things it turns out to be harder than it looks. I think steadier hands or a tripod would help and I could also have straightened up the input tube which I did not realise was a little wonky.  Next time (if there is one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back