Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Feb 16, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #3,751 of 12,335
How does the crack compare to Schiit Lyr or Project Ember on a HD650? I'm really sold on the crack's performance but it's huge footprint is just too big for my desk, and I'm looking for similar sounding amps with a smaller and more appealing footprint.

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #3,752 of 12,335
Short answer, find a place to put the crack. The lyr is a fine amp, no question and does a great job especially with planar magnetic hp's. But when it comes to the hd6x00, get the crack. 

There is not a lot of difference on the footprint between those two amps anyway. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #3,753 of 12,335

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

The panel has been spray painted with 8 layers of hammered dark grey paint.

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

Hope you like it.

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #3,755 of 12,335

I have just finished this Bottlehead Crack. Default cabinet with three layers of chestnut wood stain, five layers of spar varnish with 400 grit sanding between and a polish of the varnish after a week of hardening. 

I'm going to install the Speedball kit this week, along with two Mundorf 100uf 400v. In a day or two I will post a link to my blog with lots of pictures and detailed description. 

Hope you like it.

Btw. there is a little distortion or maybe sibilance on the highest notes (above 9-10 khz). Is this because the caps aren't burned in yet? It has only been used for 2 hours.

Great looking build!! Love the dark look. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #3,759 of 12,335
  Short answer, find a place to put the crack. The lyr is a fine amp, no question and does a great job especially with planar magnetic hp's. But when it comes to the hd6x00, get the crack. 

There is not a lot of difference on the footprint between those two amps anyway. 

Why is the Lyr a better amp for planar magnetics? I'm also using the HE-400, so if it pairs great with that as well it's a huge plus for me.

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #3,760 of 12,335
You don't want the crack for the he400 or any planar magnetic hp. The lyr is the choice is you need an amp that will works across both dynamic driver and planar's. 

Feb 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #3,762 of 12,335

Hope you like it.

Wow, that is the best looking Crack I have ever seen. Well done Sir.

If you were in the US Id probably hit you up to do mine!

Feb 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,763 of 12,335
Yes, beautiful...Dark chocolate delicious
smile.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #3,764 of 12,335

Hope you like it.

Holy **** this is beautiful. How much do you think it would cost for me to find someone to do the finish like this for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back