Cowon Plenue D
Feb 11, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #1,217 of 4,954
Incorrect on many levels (imo).

What if the source is badly recorded? What if EQing can assist with undoing some of the damage done in the studio?

What about peoples preference of a particular headphone (based on comfort and price), but perhaps it is not flat but slightly V shaped giving. EQing can assist with bringing the users preferred headphone of choice back in line (to being flatter).

What about individual preference? Why is someone who likes a little more bass (that makes them happy) in the wrong? If they prefer the particular song with slight more bass emphasis whose to say he/she is wrong?!

I used to subscribe to flat, hell I own a Alien Shozy that has no EQ and is straight up FFR. For the most part everything sounds great, but I have to be honest, certain albums sound much better on the Hidizs AP100 (that has hardware based EQ) because I have subtly tweaked the FRR to being more towards my liking and thus helping those records.

Many older recordings benefit from EQing.

Many (now famous) artists earlier released albums aren't always recorded great (because they couldn't afford the best sound engineer), subsequent albums (once success has been reached) can sound fine and need no EQing, but those earlier records can absolutely benefit.
maybe they only listen to Celine Dion.

Feb 11, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #1,218 of 4,954
Some people have never touched a turntable, or let me refrain that used a turntable or mixer, with amps and eq, anyway what really matters is that we all love the music regardless of how you use it, but I agree banner.the ig apple is so much fun when it.comes to music , it's just crazy, thank god I get these little perks.

Feb 11, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,220 of 4,954
Latest Review from Amazon from Rounder6:

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-Resolution-Player-Silver/dp/B01A8NU5GM

"The power is comparable to the J3 or very much the same compared to the D2+. So, the D CANNOT (!) drive high Ohm cans or more critical headphones "

I don't need this if the power is like the J3, poser is the main reason to but this new player...

I already read from some people here that it is output is stronger...

What do you think ?

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #1,221 of 4,954
Latest Review from Amazon from [COLOR=C45500]Rounder6[/COLOR]:

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-Plenue-Resolution-Player-Silver/dp/B01A8NU5GM

"[COLOR=111111]The power is comparable to the J3 or very much the same compared to the D2+. So, the D CANNOT (!) drive high Ohm cans or more critical headphones [/COLOR]"

I don't need this if the power is like the J3, poser is the main reason to but this new player...

I already read from some people here that it is output is stronger...

What do you think ?
Stick with what you need. But reviewers are basically good writers nothing more. The D is way more stronger than the J3. Also no matter which dap I use I amp it.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #1,222 of 4,954
Stick with what you need. But reviewers are basically good writers nothing more. The D is way more stronger than the J3. Also no matter which dap I use I amp it.

the cowon d is maybe eben stronger than the ak380 that I have without amp

every dap needs an amp end of story like Jmills said

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #1,223 of 4,954
i am thinking of changing my user name here

I want a name that implies " i will give my opinion on what I bought and own and I do not care about hidden agendas ' any suggestions :)

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #1,224 of 4,954
"The power is comparable to the J3 or very much the same compared to the D2+. So, the D CANNOT (!) drive high Ohm cans or more critical headphones "

This really made my day. I use the D with my 250 ohm 770s and they drive them with ease. I don't even have to turn it up all the way, a volume between 25 and 45 easily is loud enough for my ears.

Feb 11, 2016 at 4:45 AM Post #1,225 of 4,954
maybe they only listen to Celine Dion.

Or maybe they produce music and need a capable neutral source to replay it on the go.

I want to be able to carry my tracks on the player and hook it up to my monitors upstairs for when I don’t feel like carrying my heavy laptop AND the synth.

I am no sound engineer, but this I know for certain: a vacuum tube powered guitar cannot be backed by a warm equalized audio track. The guitar is firing on all cylinders, while the warm eq pushes some necessary frequencies to the back, creating the sense that the guitar is real and the rest is crap. Up the volume to tube overdrive levels and the problem becomes worse.

Of all the players I have at home (two laptops, ipad, cowon iaudio U2, and Samsung elcheapo phone), only one of the laptops (the one with a decent sound card) is capable of producing a sound that goes well with the live guitar. The worse is a tie between the phone and the U2. I don’t want to buy the D to see it contend for worse performer with my phone and U2 (I am not saying it will, by the way, just expressing my doubts).

My problem is I probably need not one device, but many (a portable player, a desktop player, and a second high-end laptop). As a portable player, the D seems like the best option. As a portable home player, the fiio could be the winner thanks to the excellent line out (and autonomy is not a problem at home). I am prepared to sacrifice something, but I want to know what the sacrifice is before I make it.

If I could try the d for the uses I want to give it… 

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,226 of 4,954
So I was initially being snobby and loading up flac files (my CDs ripped with Nero) only, but then I tried out a few mp3s too and although I haven't done a direct comparison between the formats using the same song, I have to say the sound this little player delivers is really amazing. I listened to some modern Fado (Mariza) and was blown away by the clarity of her voice. But the flac vs mp3 debate isn't really this topic of discussion here is it? 100hrs versus 50hrs says it might be though :wink:

One little thing that annoys me is that if I need to pause a track to talk to someone, after about 1 or 2 mins only, the device powers down. This doesn't seem to be a setting that I can change as I have the sleep setting to 10 mins.

Anyone have any bright ideas here?

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #1,228 of 4,954
Feb 11, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,230 of 4,954
That I agree with j mills I amp everything, I learned that from him, it makes it better even a half percent better is worth it, regardless of music like he says, Celine dion,lol, hey I like celiac e,lol, no but seriously the j3 has a hiss and a humming , really ,how can anyone compare it to a new item, which represents the company, I learned about cowon also from Hawaii he had an i7 which I liked, cowon are nice also for movies videos, but things keep getting better and thanks to jmills I also bought my cowon, jmills has experience, read his profile and see all the money this kid has spent , he clearly loves this as his hobby, so I follow people with that energy and enthusiasm, except for the Celine Dion part ,lmao, new York lives on celine,lol,he's a good guy he's honest just ask him honest questions and you'll receive honest answers, werr all here to help, I pass on what was given to me, love you guys , thank you for making my life a little better, thank to the audio GODS, for providing us with better silver cables, and better leather cases, thank the gods for fiio dacs and amps, and lastly thank the GODS,for hi resolution formats like flac,aac,wav,enjoy guys, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back