Cowon Plenue D
Feb 12, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #1,246 of 4,949
nvm

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,247 of 4,949
I just pulled the trigger and ordered one for myself.. I love the style of it, but most of all the feature I find most interesting is the JetEffects and BBE.. I love the ability to alter the sound stage.. That was the biggest reason I loved using Viper4Android all these years.

Congrats, please post your impressions when you have both Pleneu D and DX80. I still can't decide between two.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #1,251 of 4,949
I've taken a few photos and recorded RMAA results on my brand-new unit. Pretty impressed with most things. But stereo performance is disheartening. 

Link: RMAA Cowon Plenue D 24-bit
You have numbers put on a graph then you have the real world. I know over seven guys coming from 2.5 K, 2k, 1K daps who are enjoying the D. There are others who have or had the Hugo, Mojo, ALO amps or amp/dacs who now are using the D on its own. Thats reality that doesnt follow the numbers on a graph. I had AK100II, 120II, DX100, 90, 50, X5, X3 and I have Plenue M and I enjoy the D but I amp it.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #1,253 of 4,949
You have numbers put on a graph then you have the real world. I know over seven guys coming from 2.5 K, 2k, 1K daps who are enjoying the D. There are others who have or had the Hugo, Mojo, ALO amps or amp/dacs who now are using the D on its own. Thats reality that doesnt follow the numbers on a graph. I had AK100II, 120II, DX100, 90, 50, X5, X3 and I have Plenue M and I enjoy the D but I amp it.

What doesn't follow the numbers on the graph?

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #1,256 of 4,949
Congrats, please post your impressions when you have both Pleneu D and DX80. I still can't decide between two.

Thanks.

Granted, I just got it in the mail, so I need to let it burn in, (Thank you iBasso for that Burn-In Cable, lol) but, the Cowon Plenue D sounds good.. It has an equal amount of details, but they are harder to pick out. Almost as they say "Veiled" compared to the DX80.. If I turn up the highs, it really doesn't make it better, but brings out some bad frequencies.. By the way, I do LOVE the JET Fx, just wish that the bass frequency went lower than 80.. Put it down to 30 or something lower than 80.. It has a nice bassy punch, but bass drops fall off early. Very good sound stage though, another thing.. It sounds very artificial... Not as natural as the DX80. Overall, I really like the Plenue D so far, but still need to put her through her paces.. The customization ability of the sound is my favorite part of this play by far! Plus, my personal use, this has more than enough power for all my IEMs. I have been reminded why I love the RHA MA-600's again with this player.. The MA-750's felt too brittle on this so far.. The punch of the bass is pretty close to perfect using the MA-600's.. The T10's are very similar to the MA-600's but of course better... Just are a little cumbersome on the go due to the cable system.. At the house they are my favorite though. But back to the player, the more I listen to it, I am getting used to the sound stage, it's good just not as analytical as the DX80, the Plenue D is more Musically correct. Which is weird.. I found the DX80 to be more musically correct than the X5ii.. Well... More details later... Once again, just initial impressions...

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,257 of 4,949
Granted, I just got it in the mail, so I need to let it burn in, (Thank you iBasso for that Burn-In Cable, lol) but, the Cowon Plenue D sounds good.. It has an equal amount of details, but they are harder to pick out. Almost as they say "Veiled" compared to the DX80.. If I turn up the highs, it really doesn't make it better, but brings out some bad frequencies.. By the way, I do LOVE the JET Fx, just wish that the bass frequency went lower than 80.. Put it down to 30 or something lower than 80.. It has a nice bassy punch, but bass drops fall off early. Very good sound stage though, another thing.. It sounds very artificial... Not as natural as the DX80. Overall, I really like the Plenue D so far, but still need to put her through her paces.. The customization ability of the sound is my favorite part of this play by far! Plus, my personal use, this has more than enough power for all my IEMs. I have been reminded why I love the RHA MA-600's again with this player.. The MA-750's felt too brittle on this so far.. The punch of the bass is pretty close to perfect using the MA-600's.. The T10's are very similar to the MA-600's but of course better... Just are a little cumbersome on the go due to the cable system.. At the house they are my favorite though. But back to the player, the more I listen to it, I am getting used to the sound stage, it's good just not as analytical as the DX80, the Plenue D is more Musically correct. Which is weird.. I found the DX80 to be more musically correct than the X5ii.. Well... More details later... Once again, just initial impressions...

Unless you are talking specifically about the EQ system, I must correct you: Plenue D's bass doesn't drop off. That is your imagination. It has a strong signal down to 20Hz even under load.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,258 of 4,949
Unless you are talking specifically about the EQ system, I must correct you: Plenue D's bass doesn't drop off. That is your imagination. It has a strong signal down to 20Hz even under load.

Yeah, it's there, but the mid-bass is over powering the sub bass frequencies. Don't want anyone to misunderstand me. Tried being as clear as I could.

This thing is loud, I'm at 19 on the majority of my Sony's and RHA's. Granted it depends on the EQ settings, but even with the EQ set in a way where I get my Sub-Bass to shine through, I'm still only at 63.. So a long way to go.. As I play with the settings, I am finding a lot that I like about this little tike.. Lol..

And how small it is, is unreal!! The X3ii seems huge in comparison, and I already thought it was too small.. Lol..

Found another thing I LOVE!! The skip/seek interval/AB.. When I want to listen to a specific part over and over, I just set it, and I can hear that passage as much as my heart desires!! Genius!!

Another update.. I'm definitely liking this Plenue D, it's made me remember the emotion of the music rather than listening out for all the analytical details that the music has like I do with other players.. Not saying this doesn't have very good detail retrival, just saying in comparison to the X3ii, X5ii, and the DX80, this has more recessed details, they are all still there you just have to listen out for them closer..

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,259 of 4,949

Very informative, also I am seeing synergy is the key in getting the right (as you perceive thru your ears) sound. I had a similar experience when I had D2, with flat eq it sounded very dry, but with all the tweaks, it brought life to the music. Have no experience with the iBasso.

Thanks again for your early impressions. Will watch for your comments when burn-in is over for PD.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #1,260 of 4,949
I can completely understand why once people own a Cowon Player, it's hard for them to switch to something else. The JetFx is awesome. Sadly, iBasso and Fiio don't offer anything like this, so it's a nice feature I'm really enjoying. Even if it does cause the sound to sound a little artificial, and less organic, but that's because you're altering the sound stage; however, don't take me saying that it's artificial as a bad thing.. It's very cool, which makes listening to music fun again, vs just a detail match off.. Sometimes it's nice to just enjoy the music for what it is.. Music.. Lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back