Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #1,816 of 3,200
I haven't seen any modern player go much over 7-8Mbps for transfer speeds. Old HDD players with ATA interface transferred faster, like the X5 or H340, but not any new flash memory players. The J3's transfer speed is perfectly normal for an MP3 player.

Rockbox downsampling 24/96 sounds like crap (it's linear interpolation), you're much better off using regular 16/44 files right away.

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #1,817 of 3,200

Quote:
I haven't seen any modern player go much over 7-8Mbps for transfer speeds. Old HDD players with ATA interface transferred faster, like the X5 or H340, but not any new flash memory players. The J3's transfer speed is perfectly normal for an MP3 player.

Rockbox downsampling 24/96 sounds like crap (it's linear interpolation), you're much better off using regular 16/44 files right away.

2 MB/s is normal?  After 2 hours it has went up to 2.85 MB/s but that doesn't really change anything - just rectifying my 2 MB/s max statement.  I recall the iTouch/iPhone being way faster than that.  That's not normal.  And besides, Rockbox mentioned that his goes up to 10 MB/s which is more than adequate.  Even 7 MB/s would be nice.  2 MB/s on the other hand is ridiculously slow regardless the device.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #1,819 of 3,200
Got a question about the J3 for other owners. Does your screen's brightness dim at regular intervals (once ever 10 seconds or so) briefly (10th of a second?) the go back to it's nominal brightness because mine does.

This happens at any level of charge, does not bare any relation to what is playing (ie it's not like it dims witha  energy-sapping bassline or something) and doesn't seem to be affected by what IEMs I'm using (Brainwavz M2, Monster Turbines and a pair of CX-300 II)..I bought it used, so I'm wondering if it's a little fault?

Also doesn't seem to be related to using the stock UI, or other UIs.

Using the latest firmware release

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #1,822 of 3,200
No this is different from the screen/powersaving.

The brightness dims in normal play every (roughly) 8 seconds for about a 10th of a second, then returns to it's nominal brightness. It's about 50% dim.

Just tried this, even does it with the headphones unplugged.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #1,823 of 3,200
mine one dimms, but i don;t have the time to see if it comes back, as i have the screen turn off time set to 10....

i have observed an interesting thing!.... if you are using it like  10 minutes play, and 30 minutes pause, is much MUCH better if you do not shut it down but put it to sleep.... i am talking about the batterry.... it consumes a lot to start up and shut down if you do it a lot of times......

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #1,824 of 3,200

Quote:

The brightness dims in normal play every (roughly) 8 seconds for about a 10th of a second, then returns to it's nominal brightness. It's about 50% dim.

I know you said that it doesn't matter what's playing but maybe all your files are like this?  Basically, that happens with anything that has multiple album art pictures or sometimes even single pictures.  It's a glitch in rotating them and instead of fading out and fading in really quickly to the next picture, it does so for the same pic.  This player is very glitchy - some pretty crazy ones too...  

Also, why can't they make it so that you can set when it shuts down, after a certain amount of time it's already been in Sleep?  It wouldn't matter as long as it didn't drain battery while in sleep but it drains a decent amount...

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #1,825 of 3,200

Quote:

Someone else posted in this thread with the same problem a while back. He ended up sending the J3 back for a replacement. Have you tried the previous firmware yet?

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,827 of 3,200

Quote:
How did you even get it to go to 10 MB/s?  The fastest it ever goes for me is like 2 MB/s...  I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it's been like that from the beginning and ever since with every firmware upgrade too.  Am I missing something?

Lol I don't know man, you seem to be complaining about things on the J3 that I can't even relate to. Maybe you have a faulty unit

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #1,828 of 3,200

Quote:
So I got my J3 I am impressed so far sounds great now I cant wait to get my Coppers so I can hear this thing with a good set of IEM's

Work with the eq, the J3 is a player that loves to be eq'd. If you can make everything balance just right, the sound is incredible. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,829 of 3,200

Quote:

Lol I don't know man, you seem to be complaining about things on the J3 that I can't even relate to. Maybe you have a faulty unit

"Complaining"?  "Things"?  I don't think I should even respond to this but whatever...

All I was trying to do is figure out what's up with the speed.  What?.. I... I am mind blown right now.  What's your problem?

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #1,830 of 3,200
Alright, so I got my J3 and tried putting some .avi videos on it, but every time I try to play the videos I put on it, I get a red circle with a line going through it and the video doesn't play at all.

Anyone know how to fix this?

And, when plugging the USB cable into the J3, is it very very loose for anyone else? My cable pretty much falls straight out of the socket and even a little bump will cause it to lose connection to the PC and make it stop charging.

Also, I can't wait to get my Shure SE215 cables in the mail so I can finally listen to the player with some good headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back