Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #1,801 of 3,200

Quote:
Urgh, I used Winamp for a while. Slow and bloaty, no thanks. Plus, it can't do most of the things I use f2k for: WASAPI out, proper ID3v2+ID3v1 tagging with UTF-16 so I don't get no stinkin' mojibake, and sorting/organizing my music folder structure. Also, streaming via edcast DSP/plugin, Dolby Headphone DSP wrapper, Audioscrobbler, post-to-Twitter, and an on-screen display for song changes. Granted, because of all the things I'm running through f2k, it uses more than the usual amount of RAM, around 124MB. Doesn't run slow at all, though. :D

-- Griffinhart

I admit, I wasn't seriously into audio then so I probably just remember liking the interface better. Wasn't slow for me at all.

And-- wait. Post-to-Twitter...? How and why?

Banshee FTW. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #1,802 of 3,200

Quote:

I admit, I wasn't seriously into audio then so I probably just remember liking the interface better. Wasn't slow for me at all.

Banshee FTW. 
biggrin.gif

That would be my question...post to Twitter, why?  But then again, I'm not on Twitter or Facebook either......lol.

Apr 8, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,803 of 3,200

Quote:

Banshee FTW. 
biggrin.gif

How: http://kitahei.cocolog-nifty.com/youyou/2010/06/foo_twitter_p-1.html

Why: Because I can, basically. (I only post one out of every five songs at random intervals to cut down on the frequency of posting, though.) The way I have the post set up, it tweets track title, album, album artist, and links to a YouTube search for the song. (Also includes the #foobar2000 and #nowplaying hashtags.)

Banshee: Pft. Command line interface frontend for MPD, plox. :3

-- Griffinhart

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #1,804 of 3,200
If you really like to share your music with the world... Okay then, good for you!

And for Banshee, you're just going to have to switch to Linux with it. Mwahaha.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #1,807 of 3,200

Quote:
Yes... I know this. Like I said, "command line interface frontend for MPD". That's what I use when I'm on my Ubuntu boot.

-- Griffinhart

I have no idea what this means... It's cool that you run Ubuntu, though. I can understand you not liking Banshee cause it doesn't have all that crazy Twitter stuff and the other plug-ins I've never heard of. I just love it for the UI, and it has the fastest and easiest to use equalizer I've seen yet.

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #1,808 of 3,200
MPD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon

It's just a daemon and therefore requires a frontend; I use a command-line interface for the frontend. Nice, slim, and I can deal with it from terminal.

-- Griffinhart

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #1,809 of 3,200
So you prefer to use terminal for your music library when on Ubuntu?

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #1,811 of 3,200
And I thought I was a nerd... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #1,812 of 3,200
Didn't you know? All of head-fi are nerds. I mean... It's just like in Shawshank prison how everyone is innocent.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #1,814 of 3,200

Quote:
biggrin.gif

But... you didn't even know what a frontend for MPD was... and you use Linux. D:

Nah, I thought I was one too. Then I started attending a certain school (which I'm still attending)... the final exam for one of my classes my first semester? Programming an RC car to self-navigate a rudimentary obstacle course with nothing but four IR cameras and a PIC microcontroller. :hellyeah:

And then I got into audio by way of a friend...

(Not to mention everyone at this school [or at least, everyone in the undergrad degrees] is either a programmer or an artist and is definitely a gamer. \o/ )

-- Griffinhart

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #1,815 of 3,200

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Just received my J3 32Gb via Amazon ... Fedex, right on time (J+2)
Works as advertised, I suspect the signature is quite clear. My first pair (Etymotics) was ok with my iPod 5G but not really with J3, too bright too clear. Fortunately I just got a pair recently of Earsonics EM3Pro :) this seems to be a much nicer marriage since EM3 are warm and realistic. More feedback later on.

Few things:

Playing AVIs (divx or xvid) is superb
Slightly dissapointing: USB interface doesnt go over 10Mbp/s, a standrad hard drive goes all the way to 30 ... a bit slow.
The most frustrating thing is: no support for 24bits/96KHz even by downsampling like Rockbox does :frowning2: this is a pain since conversion might be necessary through Foobar ...
I will try to post something on Cowon forum ...

Nice product though.

How did you even get it to go to 10 MB/s?  The fastest it ever goes for me is like 2 MB/s...  I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and it's been like that from the beginning and ever since with every firmware upgrade too.  Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back