Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #1,786 of 3,200

Quote:

Have you tried both?  Are you speaking from experience?  I own both the iAudio7 (which is excellent by the way), and the new 4th Gen iPod Touch.  After extensive testing with both - I now prefer the SQ on the Touch.  I know people will have different opinions - but to make a sweeping statement that any cheaper Cowon is inherently better in SQ is very subjective, and IMHO simply not true.  The new Touch uses a very good Wolfson DAC - and the SQ is really excellent.

Both are excellent DAP's.  Both have stronger and weaker points.  All boils down to individual preference I think.  But I do wish the continual 'iPod has lower SQ' FUD would disappear.

I agree completely about the 4th gen Touch sounding very, very good....and I have rockboxed Sansas and a Cowon i9 to compare it to. The current DAC chip is a Cirrus Logic, but from what I understand, the next gen will be going back to Wolfson...here's hoping the sound does not turn for the worse.

There are more than enough  Apple and Sansa haters here lately though.

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #1,787 of 3,200
Hi guyz, i'm thinking about upgrading my Cowon O2 into a J3 because the file browsing is really horrible in the O2 (plus the fact that O2 does not support id3).

Do you think that the J3 could drive an AKG K181DJ? My O2 can without problem but i would like to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #1,788 of 3,200

Quote:
I agree completely about the 4th gen Touch sounding very, very good....and I have rockboxed Sansas and a Cowon i9 to compare it to. The current DAC chip is a Cirrus Logic, but from what I understand, the next gen will be going back to Wolfson...here's hoping the sound does not turn for the worse.

There are more than enough  Apple and Sansa haters here lately though.

Thanks for the correction - of course it is a Cirrus (doh) - was thinking of my E7 which has the Wolfson 
happy_face1.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #1,789 of 3,200

Quote:
Hi guyz, i'm thinking about upgrading my Cowon O2 into a J3 because the file browsing is really horrible in the O2 (plus the fact that O2 does not support id3).

Do you think that the J3 could drive an AKG K181DJ? My O2 can without problem but i would like to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm sure it would work just fine if the O2 does.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,790 of 3,200

Quote:

Have you tried both?  Are you speaking from experience?  I own both the iAudio7 (which is excellent by the way), and the new 4th Gen iPod Touch.  After extensive testing with both - I now prefer the SQ on the Touch.  I know people will have different opinions - but to make a sweeping statement that any cheaper Cowon is inherently better in SQ is very subjective, and IMHO simply not true.  The new Touch uses a very good Wolfson DAC - and the SQ is really excellent.

Both are excellent DAP's.  Both have stronger and weaker points.  All boils down to individual preference I think.  But I do wish the continual 'iPod has lower SQ' FUD would disappear.

i agree. apple haters will be apple haters.  also, its not even that much cheaper for the memory you get.  280+70ish for a 32 gb card is 350.  i got my touch 64gb for 350.  that being said, with EQ and the fact that i can move the card to other players makes it a better value.  those ppl that just bash on apple cuz its apple... well... just arent looking at things with an open mind. the cool thing to do is bash apple if you didnt know.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #1,791 of 3,200
My problem with Apple is that their sound quality is anything but consistent... Cowon has a solid track record with making great sounding DAPs. Apple on the other hand is more like a rollercoaster. Some of their players can play with the best of em, like the new iPod Touch 4g, but others like the 6th Gen iPod Classic are horrible compared to the 5th gen.

Blanket statements should disappear in general. Products should be judged as their own entity. One should only refer to a company's track record to make a direct comparison between similar products, not to review a product. For instance... saying apple ipod touch 4g sucks because apple makes horrible products. But saying something like "The apple ipod touch 4g is not as good as the cowon j3 due to lack of good hardware based audio enhancements like a 5 band adjustable EQ." is perfectly fine.

People make blanket statements about companies all the time, and it should stop.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #1,792 of 3,200
Question about the J3, I recently purchased one.

When I place the microSD in the J3 and connect it to the computer, both internal and microSD are recognized.
So I load up songs accordingly but when I disconnect  I cannot seem to find the songs on the microSD.

Does this mean the microSD is incompatible?
I think i remember reading the J3 combines all the music files from both memory sources into the Music folder? Or am I wrong?

EDIT:
Ok problem solved -___-
Problem was with the format.
Had to use 32kb sectors.

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #1,793 of 3,200
i am the most apple hater... and i do not intend to say that 4g ipod sounds bad... but i reallly hate itunes.... HATE!
very_evil_smiley.gif
... but as a standalone player, if i could get my music into it by any other means, and if i could have a little more juice in it (to be true, cowon has more juice for demanding headphones, than 4g ipod)....
but i consider ipod 4 one of the best things,... 
just have to get rid of these flaws....

Apr 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #1,794 of 3,200

Quote:
i am the most apple hater... and i do not intend to say that 4g ipod sounds bad... but i reallly hate itunes.... HATE!
very_evil_smiley.gif
... but as a standalone player, if i could get my music into it by any other means, and if i could have a little more juice in it (to be true, cowon has more juice for demanding headphones, than 4g ipod)....

Well, there is still CopyTrans Manager if you don't want to use itunes. But for the juice, nothing can be done except external amp :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #1,795 of 3,200

Quote:
very_evil_smiley.gif

foobar2000, Mediamonkey, Winamp, J. River Media Jukebox.....all of these will load music on and off iPods just fine. I used Mediamonkey quite a bit in the beginning, when I was learning my way around the iTunes program.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #1,797 of 3,200
Pretty sure you can drag 'n drop with the iPod. At least, I recall doing so with mine.

Also, foobar2000 is the best audio player/music organizer for Windows, no contest. It's also pretty good for tagging and organizing based on tags. (At least, for me it is - I just use f2k and nothing else.)

-- Griffinhart

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #1,798 of 3,200

Quote:
Pretty sure you can drag 'n drop with the iPod. At least, I recall doing so with mine.

Also, foobar2000 is the best audio player/music organizer for Windows, no contest. It's also pretty good for tagging and organizing based on tags. (At least, for me it is - I just use f2k and nothing else.)

-- Griffinhart

No, the iPod does NOT do drag & drop. Rockboxed it can, but that's a different story all together,..

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #1,799 of 3,200

Quote:

-- Griffinhart

I suppose it's all up to personal preference, but when I used Windows I liked Winamp much better.

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,800 of 3,200
Urgh, I used Winamp for a while. Slow and bloaty, no thanks. Plus, it can't do most of the things I use f2k for: WASAPI out, proper ID3v2+ID3v1 tagging with UTF-16 so I don't get no stinkin' mojibake, and sorting/organizing my music folder structure. Also, streaming via edcast DSP/plugin, Dolby Headphone DSP wrapper, Audioscrobbler, post-to-Twitter, and an on-screen display for song changes. Granted, because of all the things I'm running through f2k, it uses more than the usual amount of RAM, around 124MB. Doesn't run slow at all, though. :D

-- Griffinhart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back