Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,426 of 3,200
experiment with it... from what i understood, only if you have brightness on 0, never use the screen, let in on shuffle, with volume about 30, and some eq, but it lasts about 10 hours, the batterry is defective.... if it lasts more than 10 hours, and you have the brightness higher, and u use the screen, you may change it for one with even worse batterry....

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #1,427 of 3,200
To answer the question, no Sleep Mode does not drain battery life at all. I've never seen the battery level dip after waking the J3.

How did you charge it? I've once had the exact same problem you described. I charged the J3 overnight, through the USB cable going from my computer. The computer itself goes to sleep after a few hours of inactivity. Next morning I saw the "Battery Full" message on the J3, however after a few hours of use the battery quickly dropped to 25%. Moral of the story, don't charge devices with computers in suspend mode, weird things happen. Otherwise I charge my J3 once a week, after roughly 30 hours of use at which point it's at the 25% level.

Quote:
So last night my J3 ran out of power and so I let it fully charge over night.  This morning I woke to find that the battery had been fully charged.  I turned it on and for a good 15 minutes I was customizing the layout of all 3 view modes with the screen brightness at 3.  I then put it to sleep and 15 mins later woke it back up. I listened to FLAC files randomly (shuffle) for 30 mins with the volume set at 25 with no EQ.  Then for another 30 mins I listened to the same FLAC files but at a volume of 18 and with Mach3Bass set to 5...everything else is flat and turned off.  I then put the thing to sleep - battery was still "full."  7 hours later I woke it back up to find the battery life at 50%.  I then listened to the same FLAC files for another 30 mins at the same volume and EQ.  Then for another 30 mins afterwards I had the volume turned up to 25 with no EQ...listening to the same FLAC files.  Within that last hour the battery life dropped another 25%.

Does Sleep Mode really eat that much battery life?  I didn't think listening to FLAC files at random (no intervention on my part) would have killed the battery as much as it did too.  Is my battery defective or did I really just drain 75% of the battery in 9.5 hours through use alone as described above?

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #1,430 of 3,200
I got my J3 yesterday. This thing is awesome, though I'm still getting used to the UI. It's really light in design so I will be even happier when my aqua black ringke arrives, but until then I will be careful with it.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,431 of 3,200

Quote:
if im going to use an amp, is it better to get an ipod or sflo or would the j3 be as good?

Line-outs are pretty much overrated on most players that don't suck. The J3's headphone-out is perfectly linear and highly resolving when driving a near-infinite load, such as an amp. There's really no need to worry about "double amping" and such.

We've already talked about that here and here.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #1,433 of 3,200
You'll have to excuse my ignorance but when you talk about driving a near-infinite load, do you mean that the headphone out is good enough for connecting to an amp or are you sayign that there really is no need for an amp?

thanks in advance

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,435 of 3,200

Quote:
You'll have to excuse my ignorance but when you talk about driving a near-infinite load, do you mean that the headphone out is good enough for connecting to an amp or are you sayign that there really is no need for an amp?

thanks in advance

You probably don't need an amp for most phones, except the very extreme ones (less than ~16 Ohm or more than ~150 Ohm, generally speaking - there are exceptions).

You're right, what I meant is if you want/must use an amp, the headphone-out of the J3 is more than good enough. In such applications it's actually quite a bit better than the so called "line-outs" of the Sony X1000, Sony A845, or Cowon X5.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #1,438 of 3,200
Feb 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,439 of 3,200
Thanks for the explanation dfkt! I don't have the headphones or the money for a portable amp I was simply curious. :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #1,440 of 3,200

Quote:
i guess my mind has been brainwashed that any dap will need an amp unless you want something the size of a brick like the hifimans. 

A lot of people may say this because they need one to drive their best full sized headphones, and most full sized headphones do improve with an amp. But IEMs most of the time won't improve.

@monterto, what do you mean you don't have the headphones for an amp? I thought the SRH840's were much better with one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back