Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #1,411 of 3,200

Quote:
The hardware buttons are what make the J3 so stellar, for a touch screen player. Sure it has great firmware too - but I can't (won't) for the hell of it use any shabby players that come with less tactile buttons than play/pause, volume, and skip/ffwd/rew. All those dumb "smart"phone form factor player as of lately are extremely useless on the go, for my taste. I want to execute a basic action in an instant - in my pants (!), I don't want to have to look at a screen to simply pause a player, that's just ridiculous. The J3 got the portable audio part of the equation very, very right.

Oh my! The J3 has tactile buttons?

I suddenly have a furious interest in this player...

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #1,412 of 3,200

Quote:
does anyone know how cowon j3 pairs with sennheiser ie8?....

I am very happy withe my J3 and IE8.  The J3 EQ allows you to remove the midbass hump (if you like), which I found opens up the mids and highs tremendously.  Even with the 100Hz channel EQed way down, you can still use the mach3bass to get however much 'umph' you want out of the IE8.

I also find the IE8 to sound slightly more detailed than with my Sony X.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #1,413 of 3,200

Quote:
Oh my! The J3 has tactile buttons?

I suddenly have a furious interest in this player...

Yes, quite lovely tactile buttons at that. Lower left is your power/hold button, top right rocker is tracking (skip(ff)/repeat(rwd), right below that is the play/pause button, and the lower right rocker is the volume controls. Holy hell, the more I think about it the more I realize that is what was missing from the D2. J3 is the best player on the market right now imo. It is almost perfect to me.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,414 of 3,200
The D2 at least had a play/pause button still - Cowon's newer PMPs like the O2 and V5 only have volume buttons. That's really horrible to use. Same issue with my Archos 32 - I have to yank out the headphone on the go, when somebody talks to me. Fiddling with the touch screen to pause the player is way too much hassle.

Such details really make me appreciate the J3 even more.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #1,416 of 3,200
I'd do that too, but at any given time I have around five gigs worth of podcasts.  Nothing like going from Iron Maiden to BBC's "History of the World in 100 Objects".

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #1,418 of 3,200
So last night my J3 ran out of power and so I let it fully charge over night.  This morning I woke to find that the battery had been fully charged.  I turned it on and for a good 15 minutes I was customizing the layout of all 3 view modes with the screen brightness at 3.  I then put it to sleep and 15 mins later woke it back up. I listened to FLAC files randomly (shuffle) for 30 mins with the volume set at 25 with no EQ.  Then for another 30 mins I listened to the same FLAC files but at a volume of 18 and with Mach3Bass set to 5...everything else is flat and turned off.  I then put the thing to sleep - battery was still "full."  7 hours later I woke it back up to find the battery life at 50%.  I then listened to the same FLAC files for another 30 mins at the same volume and EQ.  Then for another 30 mins afterwards I had the volume turned up to 25 with no EQ...listening to the same FLAC files.  Within that last hour the battery life dropped another 25%.

Does Sleep Mode really eat that much battery life?  I didn't think listening to FLAC files at random (no intervention on my part) would have killed the battery as much as it did too.  Is my battery defective or did I really just drain 75% of the battery in 9.5 hours through use alone as described above?

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #1,419 of 3,200

Quote:
So last night my J3 ran out of power and so I let it fully charge over night.  This morning I woke to find that the battery had been fully charged.  I turned it on and for a good 15 minutes I was customizing the layout of all 3 view modes with the screen brightness at 3.  I then put it to sleep and 15 mins later woke it back up. I listened to FLAC files randomly (shuffle) for 30 mins with the volume set at 25 with no EQ.  Then for another 30 mins I listened to the same FLAC files but at a volume of 18 and with Mach3Bass set to 5...everything else is flat and turned off.  I then put the thing to sleep - battery was still "full."  7 hours later I woke it back up to find the battery life at 50%.  I then listened to the same FLAC files for another 30 mins at the same volume and EQ.  Then for another 30 mins afterwards I had the volume turned up to 25 with no EQ...listening to the same FLAC files.  Within that last hour the battery life dropped another 25%.

Does Sleep Mode really eat that much battery life?  I didn't think listening to FLAC files at random (no intervention on my part) would have killed the battery as much as it did too.  Is my battery defective or did I really just drain 75% of the battery in 9.5 hours through use alone as described above?

This seems short to me.  I listen to a mix of mp3 and FLAC and my battery has never lasted this short.  I've never counted my hours of use, but I always have my screen brightness set to the highest, EQ on, volume 15-22, use sleep mode, and charge it once a week or so.  I use it commuting to and from work on a bus, at work, at the gym, and some various other times like at a coffee shop, at home, etc.  I've been meaning to check and see how much I'm actually getting out of a charge since I've been reading a number of posts complaining about battery life.  

Also, the EQ is hardware implemented and doesn't affect the battery that much.  An EQ that is software based will suck more battery power because it will put more load on the processor.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,422 of 3,200
don't be scared, let it play on volume 20, files mp3, on shuffle, with some iems conected and no eq added... it should play close to 64 hours..... if not, is defective....
i have god mine for 4 days, second charge, i am pretty scared about the batterry but i heard it takes some time for it to awake...

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,423 of 3,200
Hmmm the battery trouble seems odd, I use mine for commuting 5 days a week (5 days * (3 hours commute+1 hour before bed)) = 20 hours with Flac+mp3+ogg, custom eq, custom UI and alot of activation of the screen as I like to jump between tracks. Your choice of IEM's may be the cause, the re262 drains my battery pretty quickly but my orto's and pana's get much more playing time. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #1,425 of 3,200
Quote:
skerry2006aj said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

i am pretty scared about the batterry but i heard it takes some time for it to awake...

I sure hope that's the case with my J3

Quote:
Hmmm the battery trouble seems odd, I use mine for commuting 5 days a week (5 days * (3 hours commute+1 hour before bed)) = 20 hours with Flac+mp3+ogg, custom eq, custom UI and alot of activation of the screen as I like to jump between tracks. Your choice of IEM's may be the cause, the re262 drains my battery pretty quickly but my orto's and pana's get much more playing time. 

The Future Sonic Atrio M5 (MG7) IEMs are what I use.  I've already opened a ticket with Cowon American support...I have yet to hear anything back from them.  I sure hope that this is just from the initial usage of the device and that the battery life will improve to what it should be - wishful thinking?
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back