Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jul 16, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #3,106 of 3,200
  Now few people talk about J3.

I still listen to one every single day. Love it. Perfectly portable, great external buttons and really decent sound quality.

:wink:

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #3,108 of 3,200
The J3 is discontinued so you can't expect people to talk about it much. I first got it in 2010, and it served me well. I moved on to the Fiio X3. It may be a little buggy, but at least Fiio communicates with the customers.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,112 of 3,200
Yeah, the problem really is if I'm going to re-encode them anyways, I might as well consolidate my audio devices and just use my phone. I'm not big on the whole bring a phone and connect it with a bunch of portables, even if it makes music sound a tad better, and carrying two portables isn't my thing anymore.

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #3,116 of 3,200
My J3 freezes whenever I pass it my super high bitrate Muse flac files. I've given it up for something with more stable UI.

a) its UI is as stable as it gets - that is, when you play the correct files on it
wink_face.gif

b) it plays fine my high bitrate Porcupine Tree flac files (which btw , as a band PT blow Muse out of the water - get some albums of them and see for yourself -no need to thank me always a pleasure to show music lovers something new)

I have a J3 since 2010 , no problems/complaints whatsoever - sure there are better (and more expensive) DAPs out there , but the combination of stable UI/value for money/easy to use/great battery/decent sound , i don't think there are many that surpass it.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #3,117 of 3,200
My J3 freezes whenever I pass it my super high bitrate Muse flac files. I've given it up for something with more stable UI.

a) its UI is as stable as it gets - that is, when you play the correct files on it :wink_face:

b) it plays fine my high bitrate Porcupine Tree flac files (which btw , as a band PT blow Muse out of the water - get some albums of them and see for yourself -no need to thank me always a pleasure to show music lovers something new)

I have a J3 since 2010 , no problems/complaints whatsoever - sure there are better (and more expensive) DAPs out there , but the combination of stable UI/value for money/easy to use/great battery/decent sound , i don't think there are many that surpass it.

Porcupine Tree sounds bad versus Muse, thanks anyways for suggesting.

The point is multi-fold where if I'm going to re-encode my music to a lower bitrate for a player, I might as well use another player anyways, and it's more convenient for me to carry music in my phone versus having a separate player just for music listening. Whatever floats your boat or meets your needs. I don't use the player anymore.

If the UI freezes instead of ignoring the file or something else sensible, it's hard to say it's stable. I don't have complaints with it except that I've moved on from it. Maybe I don't like that it scratches so easily or startup takes a while but those aren't so valid.

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #3,118 of 3,200
Hi, I consider buying the Cowon J3.
1) What is the max sd card capacity?
2) When a track ends and it's continuing to the next-Is there a little pause? Because i am using it for classical music where tracks are joined together. And if i rockbox it will it change?
3) Is the sound quality neutral, natural and balanced (for orchestral music)?
4) Is there a difference between the 8Gb version and the other versions besides capacity?
Thanks

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #3,119 of 3,200
1. Max supported capacity according to manual is 32GB. But 64GB also works (you can have only around 8000 audio files however).
2. J3 supports gapless. No Rockbox for J3.
3. J3 has brighter sound.
4. Nope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back