Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jul 9, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #2,971 of 3,200
I hope Cowon will add these improvements to the J3's successor (at least some of them):
- Better CPU (the interface is customizable, but the necessary power to create smooth interfaces is missing)
- Upgraded Flash version (Flash 8, for example, contains many features for better performance and makes amazing animations possible)
- 10+ band EQ
- jetEffect 5 (used on the Cowon Z2)
- user-replaceable battery
- non-proprietary ports (which is very probable, the Z2 and the A5 both have standard ports)
- more supported codecs (especially video)
- better screen (higher resolution, and PLEASE no pentile like on the Z2)
- (micro)SDXC slot
- better DAC (the Z2 sounds better than the J3 IMO - I hope Cowon will use the same or a better DAC here)

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #2,972 of 3,200
Those sound like reasonable upgrades, though who knows how much all of that cuts into the profit margin...

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #2,973 of 3,200
Quote:
I hope Cowon will add these improvements to the J3's successor (at least some of them):
- Better CPU (the interface is customizable, but the necessary power to create smooth interfaces is missing)
- Upgraded Flash version (Flash 8, for example, contains many features for better performance and makes amazing animations possible)
- 10+ band EQ
- jetEffect 5 (used on the Cowon Z2)
- user-replaceable battery
- non-proprietary ports (which is very probable, the Z2 and the A5 both have standard ports)
- more supported codecs (especially video)
- better screen (higher resolution, and PLEASE no pentile like on the Z2)
- (micro)SDXC slot
- better DAC (the Z2 sounds better than the J3 IMO - I hope Cowon will use the same or a better DAC here)

i would buy that product as a replacement to my j3. 
and thanks for all your great work Kizune!

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #2,974 of 3,200
Quote:

I strongly disagree with this statement. For Android players, Cowon created the "Plenue" series (D3, Z2), but they don't consider the D3 or Z2 as successors of the J3.

This is the unofficial indirect announcement by Cowon:

"He said that they (Haldex) will be continuing to support the J3 in terms of repairs etc, and that he was confident that Cowon was going to continue producing parts for it. He also said that he has been told by Cowon that they are going to release a replacement model for the J3 in October (he said, knowing Cowon, expect it next February in Australia.) Cowon has told him that the reason for the gap between discontinuing the J3 and announcing its replacement was because, when they released the J3, Cowon was left with large numbers of the S9 in its warehouse, which are still sitting there unsaleable. Apparently they are making sure that this doesn't happen with the J3."

"replacement model for the J3" - if the D3 or Z2 had been the J3's successor, the statement would have been "replacement model for the Z2" since the Z2 is Cowon's latest Android player.

Ooh this is exciting news. I've been holding off on buying a J3 in hopes for a updated version/refresh. Thanks for the update Kizune. :)

EDIT: I would like to see better build-quality for an updated J3 as well (no glass popping out; higher-quality plastic maybe). I do believe Kizune ranked the J3 last for build-quality compared to the Z2 and S9 at first and second respectively. Hopefully Cowon's J3 upgrade won't be in NTFS format since Mac OS X can't write to it...but I suppose I can always load Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #2,975 of 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by miceblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[...]

EDIT: I would like to see better build-quality for an updated J3 as well (no glass popping out; higher-quality plastic maybe). I do believe Kizune ranked the J3 last for build-quality compared to the Z2 and S9 at first and second respectively. Hopefully Cowon's J3 upgrade won't be in NTFS format since Mac OS X can't write to it...but I suppose I can always load Windows 7 via Bootcamp.

Oh, right, I forgot to list the build quality - I like the Z2's design and build quality the most (+ my classmates were all like "Woah, dude, your player looks sleek"), so I hope the J3's successor will be of similar quality.
Also, the scan speed (during booting) should be drastically improved.

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #2,976 of 3,200
Anyone using the J3 successfully with OSX lion? I'm having problems with firmware 2.29

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2,978 of 3,200
Doesn't seem like a game changer to me. The only quality that is "super" is the battery life. The resolution isn't impressive at all.

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2,980 of 3,200
It looks nicer for sure, but I think they made some lateral moves - whether they're considered improvements or not will depend on the user and what's important to them. I don't think it's a stretch to dub this one the 'J3 Video' with its flash memory and micro sd slot.

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #2,983 of 3,200
Snapped mine up off a fellow Head-Fier...absolutely delighted with it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back