Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3,002 of 3,200
It could be the headphones paired with either dap that creates the preference. I think my GR07s sound better with the ipod 5.5 + Rockbox. Maybe with different headphones I'd prefer the J3...I haven't experimented much, so anything is possible.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #3,006 of 3,200
Rockbox is definitely better than J3's UI. The eq settings can be tweaked better with rb.

J3's UI is drag and drop, so no itunes nonsense to deal with - it's much better even though it has the occasional bug.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #3,007 of 3,200
Guys, Rockbox is a much less fluid experience than a modular flash interface like the J3/S9... That being said, Rockbox is more customizable when it comes to the incredible amount of setting in the firmware.

Definitely better, I don't think so. Better for tweakability, absolutely!

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #3,008 of 3,200
Quote:
Guys, Rockbox is a much less fluid experience than a modular flash interface like the J3/S9... That being said, Rockbox is more customizable when it comes to the incredible amount of setting in the firmware.

Definitely better, I don't think so. Better for tweakability, absolutely!

Fluid, shmuid....I'd take RB any day - I care a lot more about tweakability than I do any differences in the UI that have nothing to do with the sound. Definitely better in my book.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,009 of 3,200
^I was merely trying to be objective, as it doesn't help people browsing the forums when they hear that something is simply 'better,' without specific details and points being made.

Personally, I'd love to have Rockbox be somewhat of a backend, that one could append to the GUI of several players... (EX: have it be an Android application, though also have it incorporate its settings and processing with any audio app on Android. Also make it for iOS, the flash interfaces on the Cowon line of players, etc.)

On another note, can anyone find a 32GB Cowon J3 in stock anywhere?

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #3,010 of 3,200
We're dealing with opinions here, and you're certainly entitled to yours - all I was doing was giving mine, but maybe I came off a bit gruff (wasn't trying too). I'm not sure exactly what you mean by fluid, to be honest. With RB, you're using a scroll wheel vs. a touch screen with the J3, sort of 2 different animals. I just don't think the EQ and UI are of equal importance (for me and my silly needs). EQ is much more important for me. If RB could be installed on the J3, I'd never consider selling it unless an absolute monster of a dap was released by somebody. I've thought about that, too. 

Oct 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3,011 of 3,200
Has anyone run into a problem in which the J3 won't recognize flac files? I mean they don't show up at all, even in the file/folder browser. It's new .flac files, from re-ripped discs. I thought it was the ID3v2 tag that was the problem but they're not showing up at all even after I removed it.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #3,012 of 3,200
I haven't had any problems like that. Sounds like a royal PITA.

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #3,013 of 3,200
Yea it is... Could it be a disparity between different encodings of FLAC? The newest songs that I re-ripped were encoded by FLAC 1.2.1 and the ones I have on the J3 already were encoded by 1.1.2

Oct 8, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #3,015 of 3,200
Try this man, Settings -> System -> Database update -> Yes. Worth a try..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back