Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #121 of 5,310
I have to say - I LOVE how Cosmic Ears handles order updates. I got an email yesterday, automatically generated, advising that my shells were complete. I imagine they update with each significant step of the process: impressions received, shells made, internals built, final testing, and finally shipped. Or something like that. It's nice to know where you stand in the process. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #122 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:

Partly true. The GQ variant in the ADDIEM is sort of a cheapened version. The Sleek SA7 was also supposed to used the GQ. My assumption, from the way their drivers appear, is that Cosmic uses Sonion stuff, and in the right quantities, Sonion will build pretty much anything you want.

How is it a cheapened version?  The ADDIEM price does somewhat indicate that, although I would figure Apple quantity would be part of that. I would figure it would be harder to tune the whole system with one port for both drivers, but I suppose it happens with TWFKs.  

Quote:

No, the ADDIEM driver is from Knowles. Cosmic Ears gets theirs custom made from one of those companies as well. There aren't a ton of choices if you want to buy a balanced armature driver - off the shelf from Knowles or Sonion, or have them custom make it to your specs. 

OK, in reality there are a few more options (like Star Micronics for example) but I'm not aware of any IEMs using them. It almost always ends up being Sonion or Knowles. 

There is one other company I know of in Taiwan, but I can't recall the name (maybe tomscy2000 can help with the name) which I believe is used in the Scosche products.

I do am very interested in hearing the Cosmic Ears products, but I need to clear my backlog before I get anything else.  Until then I am looking forward to your reviews and comparisons, and it seems like there will be many to follow!

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #123 of 5,310
Quote:
though unfortunately I have to wait a bit longer for the others.   
More to come, including pics, when I can. 

Subscribed!
I really like reading your reviews 86.
Your review of the 1964 T had pretty much decided for me that I should get the 1964 Quad, 'cos that's the absolute maximum I could afford.
But the UM Merlin, and Aurisonics AS2 really appeal too as I'm a bit of a Basshead (who also loves his mids).
But they're way out of my price range.
Cosmic's triple hybrid flex may lure me away from the quad though, depending on reports ( mainly yours ).
I've often wished that you had the Quads so we all knew a little more about the sig'.
BTW, O.T. I know but didn't I read somewhere that you didn't like the cables/connectors on the Livewires Trips.
Can I ask briefly what it was that you didn't like about them?.
I hope you like the Cosmic flagship when it arrives.

Sep 15, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #124 of 5,310
Quote:
How is it a cheapened version?  The ADDIEM price does somewhat indicate that, although I would figure Apple quantity would be part of that. I would figure it would be harder to tune the whole system with one port for both drivers, but I suppose it happens with TWFKs.  

There is one other company I know of in Taiwan, but I can't recall the name (maybe tomscy2000 can help with the name) which I believe is used in the Scosche products.

Well, perhaps I spoke too soon, but I distinctively remember a picture of a disassembled ADDIEM and seeing that the drivers inside looked fairly different and missing a side or something. It definitely didn't look like the GQ in the Knowles pictures. It is entirely possible it's from one of the several companies not named Knowles or Sonion, such as Star Micronics, but I don't know which company it is.

Sep 15, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #125 of 5,310
Quote:
Subscribed!
I really like reading your reviews 86.
Your review of the 1964 T had pretty much decided for me that I should get the 1964 Quad, 'cos that's the absolute maximum I could afford.
But the UM Merlin, and Aurisonics AS2 really appeal too as I'm a bit of a Basshead (who also loves his mids).
But they're way out of my price range.
Cosmic's triple hybrid flex may lure me away from the quad though, depending on reports ( mainly yours ).
I've often wished that you had the Quads so we all knew a little more about the sig'.
BTW, O.T. I know but didn't I read somewhere that you didn't like the cables/connectors on the Livewires Trips.
Can I ask briefly what it was that you didn't like about them?.
I hope you like the Cosmic flagship when it arrives.

Off topic but here goes - at first I loved the LiveWires cable system. I liked the option of wearing them "down" or over the ear depending on my activity. But I eventually realized that they don't go over the ear as well as most others, due to the angle. Then the cable failed, and the company took my money but never shipped my replacement. I had a spare but it was old and run down, on the verge of failing as well. So I'm glad I got them reshelled using a normal cable like Cosmic Ears, Westone, etc. 

I do like that Cosmic Ears lets you choose a downward exiting cable if you wish. It's really kind of nice. And not may others do it. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #126 of 5,310
I've been asking around other places about this company and I am excited.  I do have one question, however.  If I either have my ear impressions made here, or do them myself, how much is shipping to Sweden.  How much was yours, if you don't mind me asking, 86 if you sent your impressions to them?  Fedex and UPS claimed it would be 100 dollars on the website, or is it  a bit cheaper?

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #129 of 5,310
Quote:

Off topic but here goes - at first I loved the LiveWires cable system. I liked the option of wearing them "down" or over the ear depending on my activity. But I eventually realized that they don't go over the ear as well as most others, due to the angle. Then the cable failed, and the company took my money but never shipped my replacement. I had a spare but it was old and run down, on the verge of failing as well. So I'm glad I got them reshelled using a normal cable like Cosmic Ears, Westone, etc. 

I do like that Cosmic Ears lets you choose a downward exiting cable if you wish. It's really kind of nice. And not may others do it. 

Thanks for that info 86, I asked as I have a broken pair of UE SF pro 5s that I hope to re-shell myself.
I fancy trying something different from the normal connectors and have bought some of the MMCX ones like Livewires use, but I hope to use them slightly differently.
Back on topic though (sort of), what other hybrids have you heard?, I'd love to hear your thoughts on how similar BA/DD combo's fare against each other compared to the Cosmic hybrid (once you get it!).
I know you liked the UM Merlin enough to buy a version of it,( great review BTW, thanks ) I wish Aurisonics would send you their AS2 for review/comparison.
Ok I can't afford either of these at the moment, but I'd like to know anyway :)
I'd love it if the Cosmic was competitive, although I imagine that's not realistic given the price difference.
The fact that Cosmic are in the EU may also save European Head-Fiers like me a little in postage/tax too, making them even more intriguing.

Sep 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #131 of 5,310
Quote:
I've been asking around other places about this company and I am excited.  I do have one question, however.  If I either have my ear impressions made here, or do them myself, how much is shipping to Sweden.  How much was yours, if you don't mind me asking, 86 if you sent your impressions to them?  Fedex and UPS claimed it would be 100 dollars on the website, or is it  a bit cheaper?

I'm in the North Bay so not so far from you relative to our distance from Sweden. I just used good old USPS shipping which ended up in the realm of $20 give or take (it's been a long time by now so I don't recall exactly). It took maybe a week to get there, or a bit more, which is slow but not terrible. I would never use Fedex or UPS for that type of thing. 

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #133 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:
 so expect some comparisons!
Great!, looking forward to them.
What didn't you like about the Audiofly's?

For starters they are generally not worth there price in areas like speed, refinement and detail but the main problem was just the coherency issues. You can tell were the dynamic driver crosses over into a BA so clearly because of the tone and the weight to the sound as well as the timbre. They need to have smoothened out the crossover better and everything is not working as a whole, you can tell there is two separate things going on and they are not working as one.

Oh and did i mention that i should also be getting the K3003 on a brief loan so add that one to the list :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back