Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 17, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #137 of 5,310
I'm anxious to read a review of the HY3.  The big question is does the dynamic driver cross over properly with the mids or bleed into them?  Also can it keep up with the speed of the ba drivers?

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #138 of 5,310
Did anyone ask Cosmic Ears about the sound signature of Twin BA Flex with micro shell?

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #140 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm anxious to read a review of the HY3.  The big question is does the dynamic driver cross over properly with the mids or bleed into them?  Also can it keep up with the speed of the ba drivers?

Just got an email update - my order status has progressed to "electronic assembly".

I too am curious about how well the blend is handled. It shouldn't be all that difficult - there are tons of speakers that use a dynamic driver for bass/mids and a very different driver for highs - planar, ribbon tweeter, AMT, etc. And most of those (the better ones anyway) have a seamless blend. But for some reason we expect it to be super difficult for hybrid IEMs to do. 

Quote:
Yep - "If you want extended treble I would recommend the twin balanced armature."

The Pure Plus with the single BA is already fairly extended on both ends, so I have high hopes for the twin unit. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #141 of 5,310
I have the Audiofly AF78 and it just can not do the crossover. The reason i believe it is so hard for a dynamic and BA crossover to work is because of they are different things. In the 78, the dynamic driver is heavy, on the slow side with deep impactful timbre, quite typical for a dynamic driver (apart from the bass which is on the low quanity side and rather tight). The ba is also typical and really fast, strident with zingy less impactfull timbre and overal lighter present. The do not sound like they want to work together!

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #142 of 5,310
Quote:
I have the Audiofly AF78 and it just can not do the crossover. The reason i believe it is so hard for a dynamic and BA crossover to work is because of they are different things. In the 78, the dynamic driver is heavy, on the slow side with deep impactful timbre, quite typical for a dynamic driver (apart from the bass which is on the low quanity side and rather tight). The ba is also typical and really fast, strident with zingy less impactfull timbre and overal lighter present. The do not sound like they want to work together!

Personally I think it's a matter of matching the drivers properly. As I mentioned, think monitor speakers - they generally use two drivers. The larger midbass unit is a dynamic driver and can have a paper cone, or a metal such as aluminum, or some type of plastic like polypropylene. The tweeter can be a planar magnetic driver, or silk dome, or metallic dome, or ribbon, or some variant of the Heil AMT driver, etc. Ribbons and AMT drivers are very fast like a BA driver, yet they can usually be made to blend quite well with the large dynamic driver.  

So in summary I don't think it's necessarily the driver type that causes this disparity. We tend to focus on it around here when it comes to hybrid designs, and in some cases it is a valid complaint, but there are also designs using solely multi-BA drivers that still don't sound coherent. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #143 of 5,310
Personally, I find that coherence issues happen when the response has big gaps between the lows and the highs, causing BA highs to seem separated from the rest of the music, as the BA mids may be lost inside the dynamic mids. There are already very small timing offsets in multi-driver setups (it's very hard to correct for in small earphones, unlike speakers), so phase and timing issues will amplify the effect, but it might not be as obvious as people might think. In this sense, I think the more colored the response, the more obvious the coherence issues will be.

Sep 17, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #144 of 5,310
Quote:

Personally I think it's a matter of matching the drivers properly. As I mentioned, think monitor speakers - they generally use two drivers. The larger midbass unit is a dynamic driver and can have a paper cone, or a metal such as aluminum, or some type of plastic like polypropylene. The tweeter can be a planar magnetic driver, or silk dome, or metallic dome, or ribbon, or some variant of the Heil AMT driver, etc. Ribbons and AMT drivers are very fast like a BA driver, yet they can usually be made to blend quite well with the large dynamic driver.  

So in summary I don't think it's necessarily the driver type that causes this disparity. We tend to focus on it around here when it comes to hybrid designs, and in some cases it is a valid complaint, but there are also designs using solely multi-BA drivers that still don't sound coherent. 

Yes that is exactly what i am trying to say though. They do not go together because they are both typical sounding IEMs for there driver type. The whole thing was about saying its a hybrid without any though in it. Someone who was sent the 45 for review tried my 78 and preferred the much lower model. I mean there is no disagreeing that there are not typical sounds for BA and dynamic drivers but i have heard loads that break the rule and therefore a goo pairing is easily possible but just takes a bit of thought and care so i am very hopeful of what Cosmic will achieve.

I have heard some IEMs like the dreadful TDK BA100 i reviewed that sounded so dark that i almost convinced myself i should open it up to find a dynamic driver instead of the single BA it uses (i was not really like this but you get the picture) and the Hifiman RE262 has great speed and detail and i reckon could pass for a BA.

You cant say there are not typical sounds but i dont think like that, i was just saying the two drivers used in the audiofly had the typical sounds and did not want to synergize or work together, they were the wrong drivers for the job. They also oddly chose to use the dynamic for the lows and the mids.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #146 of 5,310
Quote:
I guess we are all on the same page then - bad matching can happen between any drivers in a multi-driver speaker/headphone. 

Indeed, even with just BAs or just dynamic. This is the only real bad match i have heard though with the AF78 so i hope the HY3 nail it.

Just for everyone. I will be getting their DIY impression kit to give that at a test run as well. If a 16 year old can manage then that should be good. We will see how it goes! I think i will make a little video on the process as well.

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #147 of 5,310
Quote:
Just for everyone. I will be getting their DIY impression kit to give that at a test run as well. If a 16 year old can manage then that should be good. We will see how it goes! I think i will make a little video on the process as well.

This is very good news! Keep us posted! But be sure to have someone to help you in the process, as it seems to be highly recommended...

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #148 of 5,310
Oh yes, will get my dad to help and maybe mum or sister to film. Will let you all know how it goes with a guide or process video. I know this is something your interested in Putente as you lack local Audioligists so hopefully this is the way to go for you.

Even for me its hard. I though i could quickly book a session and i am having to wait until friday when booking last friday. For the ones ACS want me to have i am still waiting to next wednesday, grrrr!

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #149 of 5,310
Quote:
Oh yes, will get my dad to help and maybe mum or sister to film. Will let you all know how it goes with a guide or process video. I know this is something your interested in Putente as you lack local Audioligists so hopefully this is the way to go for you.

Even for me its hard. I though i could quickly book a session and i am having to wait until friday when booking last friday. For the ones ACS want me to have i am still waiting to next wednesday, grrrr!

That's it! Thanks...

Sep 17, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #150 of 5,310
Quote:
Indeed, even with just BAs or just dynamic. This is the only real bad match i have heard though with the AF78 so i hope the HY3 nail it.

That doesn't bode well because when I read a series of reviews on the dynamic/BA pairing iems available the AF78 got a fairly favourable review (I believe this was on Sound & Vision).

I think loudspeaker manufacturers have greater access to a wider variety of drivers, materials, crossovers et al... that allow them to more easily match their drivers.  Even the methods for measurement can be simpler for them than for those designing IEMs.

P.S. I really like my RE-262 but it definitely doesn't sound like any of my BA based IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back