Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #151 of 5,310
Just when I thought I was happy with my EPH-100.... I'm very excited for a review! If there is a way to get a similar signature of the EPH-100 with just a little bit more treble (I tend to EQ it) I would be beyond happy!

Sep 18, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #153 of 5,310
they were lying :D ? My impressions of AF78 agree with Swimsonny's

Yeh, magazines do not tend be the most honest Places to go do they. Have you not wondered why the AF78 have no hype or status here, they were early not good enough with IEMs so much cheaper so much better.

As for the RE262 I just said you could say it has BA qualities such as being fast and having good detail as well as a tight punchy bass. As for the overall sounds it's not really close to anything else I have heard other than the ASG-1 1.1 which is very similar with more bass. I was not saying it sounded like any BAs I have heard by any means just that there techinical abilities that are stereotyped with BA and dynamic drivers. That's why you can find threads that are titled "why do dynamic drives have more bass than armature ones?" not a true statement at all but people think it, that's what I am trying to say. The AF78 just had bad matching of drivers all about being a "hybrid" and not sounding good and not using a hybrid set up to sound good if you get me.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #154 of 5,310
Yeh, magazines do not tend be the most honest Places to go do they. Have you not wondered why the AF78 have no hype or status here, they were early not good enough with IEMs so much cheaper so much better.

or maybe they're just terribly impressionable and have no exp with recent iems to know better (and broken ears :D )

> The AF78 just had bad matching of drivers all about being a "hybrid" and not sounding good and not using a hybrid set up to sound good if you get me.

all other issues with af78 aside, either the resolution of the DD, and/or the xover point/amt of upper/lower mids balance definitely give it an odd sound/not something you'd be looking for in great hybrid IEMs :D

Sep 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #156 of 5,310
Quote:
or maybe they're just terribly impressionable and have no exp with recent iems to know better (and broken ears
biggrin.gif
)
> The AF78 just had bad matching of drivers all about being a "hybrid" and not sounding good and not using a hybrid set up to sound good if you get me.
all other issues with af78 aside, either the resolution of the DD, and/or the xover point/amt of upper/lower mids balance definitely give it an odd sound/not something you'd be looking for in great hybrid IEMs
biggrin.gif

Regardless I like the concept of a hybrid IEM.  Who's going to take the plunge and tell us what Cosmic Ears has wrought?

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #162 of 5,310
Phil from Cosmic Ears just advised me that while my micro-shell twin BA Flex model is in progress, my Hybrid is going to be delayed a short while. They decided to switch things up in the way they manufacturer their multi-driver models.

Rather than using the typical connecting wires that we normally see in most customs, Cosmic Ears plans on switching to a PCB based design. If you've ever seen a reshelled TF10, it should kind of look like that. They reckon it will help reliability (more solid contacts to each driver), make assembly easier (important when you aren't charging an arm and a leg for each order), and finally - they just think it looks better. So that will set my Hybrid back a few weeks, and I assume the same thing for Swimsonny too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back