Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 14, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #107 of 5,310

Quote:
So, from what I undertand by looking at Cosmic Ears webstore is that the HY3 top of the range model has the same driver configuration as the top spec Flex model (triple hybrid), but with less customization options. Is this correct?

Correct. Cosmic Ears stated that on Facebook.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #108 of 5,310
Okay I didn't know booking an audiologist appointment would be so hard so I will get my impressions done for the HY3 on the 26th.

The HY3 is the same as the flex but as the HY3 it's the best and least expensive way to get it if your happy with purple. On fact a flex with triple hybrid and a standard bottom exit cable that is non detachable is £195 as well as bing purple. The HY3 is only £190 so is by far the best way to get there flagship!!!

Sep 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #109 of 5,310
This is big. And I needed some advice.

I really like my RE-262 and I have an XBA - 3 as well.

I have been planning to reshell my XBA-3 for sometime now, What I was wondering is, for a guy who has never used a custom IEM and thinks highly of the RE-262 what would be the best choice among Pure, Sport, Flex and HY3.

And what do you think about XBA-3 Reshell options. Can anyone make any recommendations. I know UE can do it and Inearz, does anyone know any cheap options. and please note, I dont mean tips, a complete reshell.

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #111 of 5,310
Sep 15, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #113 of 5,310
Quote:
As far as I remember, the ADDIEM uses a TWFK variant. Cosmic Ears uses their own custom twin BA driver, not a TWFK. So it won't be the same.
Regarding DIY impressions - I've done my own for all but my first few pairs of customs. It seems easy enough that even I can do it, which is saying a lot. Over a dozen sets of CIEMs have turned out well based on my own impressions, and in fact I've had far less trouble with fit since I started doing it myself. I don't want anyone to do something they aren't comfortable with, but it really is very easy to do, and is at least worth a try in my opinion. You can always follow up with professional impressions if you can figure it out for yourself.

The ADDIEM actually uses a GQ series, which is a combined woofer and mid/tweeter with a built in crossover designed to be an all-in-one easy to implement solution.  It looks like Cosmic ears doesn't use the GQ, and thankfully as from what I know the performance isn't all that great.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #114 of 5,310
Quote:
The ADDIEM actually uses a GQ series, which is a combined woofer and mid/tweeter with a built in crossover designed to be an all-in-one easy to implement solution.  It looks like Cosmic ears doesn't use the GQ, and thankfully as from what I know the performance isn't all that great.

Partly true. The GQ variant in the ADDIEM is sort of a cheapened version. The Sleek SA7 was also supposed to used the GQ. My assumption, from the way their drivers appear, is that Cosmic uses Sonion stuff, and in the right quantities, Sonion will build pretty much anything you want.

Sep 15, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #115 of 5,310
Sep 15, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #116 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:

Partly true. The GQ variant in the ADDIEM is sort of a cheapened version. The Sleek SA7 was also supposed to used the GQ. My assumption, from the way their drivers appear, is that Cosmic uses Sonion stuff, and in the right quantities, Sonion will build pretty much anything you want.

I guess both ADDIEM and Cosmic drivers are neither from Knowles or Sonion.

Sep 15, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #117 of 5,310
It appears that Dual and Triple BA Flex models are out of stock for 4 weeks.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #119 of 5,310
Quote:
I guess both ADDIEM and Cosmic drivers are neither from Knowles or Sonion.

No, the ADDIEM driver is from Knowles. Cosmic Ears gets theirs custom made from one of those companies as well. There aren't a ton of choices if you want to buy a balanced armature driver - off the shelf from Knowles or Sonion, or have them custom make it to your specs. 

OK, in reality there are a few more options (like Star Micronics for example) but I'm not aware of any IEMs using them. It almost always ends up being Sonion or Knowles. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back