Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #91 of 5,310
Quote:
the twin BA driver is not the usual TWFK, since the designer isn't a huge fan of that sound. So he found something else that he prefers the sound of, and still allows him to it his price point. 

The twin driver on their facebook looks more like one used in ADDIEM. 
1000x500px-LL-c7f9d538_1000x500px-LL-9eda47f7_ADDIEM03.jpeg

TWFK vs ADDIEM

283147_409214082466457_1331559447_n.jpg

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #92 of 5,310
but for me it means a trip of 200+ kms (and back), plus availability as during week days I'm busy, working. Add all that to the ear impressions cost alone! Anyway, those DIY ear impression kits seem pretty safe and easy to use (the ones with the oto-stops) with someone to help in the process, and many use them without problems... 

because waiting for weeks for a refit (or $$?) and paying audiologist money after or having pain from poorly done impressions is free.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #93 of 5,310
Thanks Project86 for the nice detail information about the protective case very very helpful.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #94 of 5,310
As far as I remember, the ADDIEM uses a TWFK variant. Cosmic Ears uses their own custom twin BA driver, not a TWFK. So it won't be the same.

Regarding DIY impressions - I've done my own for all but my first few pairs of customs. It seems easy enough that even I can do it, which is saying a lot. Over a dozen sets of CIEMs have turned out well based on my own impressions, and in fact I've had far less trouble with fit since I started doing it myself. I don't want anyone to do something they aren't comfortable with, but it really is very easy to do, and is at least worth a try in my opinion. You can always follow up with professional impressions if you can figure it out for yourself.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #96 of 5,310
Quote:
Regarding DIY impressions - I've done my own for all but my first few pairs of customs. It seems easy enough that even I can do it, which is saying a lot. Over a dozen sets of CIEMs have turned out well based on my own impressions, and in fact I've had far less trouble with fit since I started doing it myself. I don't want anyone to do something they aren't comfortable with, but it really is very easy to do, and is at least worth a try in my opinion. You can always follow up with professional impressions if you can figure it out for yourself.

Wise words... It seems easy enough to do safely (with someone to help) and cheap way to get to customs! These Cosmic Ears are ticking a lot of boxes for me, as they're well priced, produced inside the EU and offer the possibility of making your own ear molds (for those like me that don't have an audiologist nearby)! I'm eagerly waiting for your impressions and reviews of their products, project86
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #97 of 5,310
ADDIEM was once though to be a TWFK but that was until the above picture surfaced proving that theory incorrect as far as I can remember. Also looks of a BA compared to another mean lil as there are even many varieties of the same thing. Also this twin BA is made specifically for cosmic as said by project so I doubt the ADDIEM will use it.

Also I am about to get my impressions done (by audiologist) and I got sent a information sheet with all the info such as where to send etc. as well as a list of tips on how they reccomend you get them done which I found handy as these will be my first set of impressions done and I am also getting some ACS T2 and I got no tips or anything regarding impressions from them.

Great service, communication and help so far!

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #98 of 5,310
From what I've read in that thread, I got the impression you didn't use the compound inside your ear, and just mixed it "outside" at room temperature. Have you considered that it may need body temperature inside the ear to get solid?

I also believe that going to an audiologist is safer, but for me it means a trip of 200+ kms (and back), plus availability as during week days I'm busy, working. Add all that to the ear impressions cost alone! Anyway, those DIY ear impression kits seem pretty safe and easy to use (the ones with the oto-stops) with someone to help in the process, and many use them without problems... 

The major shortcoming of a DIY ear impression is not going just past the second bend.

That is also a major shortcoming of customs too.

A second bend insertion depth ensures the best performance.

In my opinion, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #99 of 5,310
ADDIEM was once though to be a TWFK but that was until the above picture surfaced proving that theory incorrect as far as I can remember. Also looks of a BA compared to another mean lil as there are even many varieties of the same thing. Also this twin BA is made specifically for cosmic as said by project so I doubt the ADDIEM will use it.
Also I am about to get my impressions done (by audiologist) and I got sent a information sheet with all the info such as where to send etc. as well as a list of tips on how they reccomend you get them done which I found handy as these will be my first set of impressions done and I am also getting some ACS T2 and I got no tips or anything regarding impressions from them.
Great service, communication and help so far!

Curious...

Closed mouth, slack jaw, or bite block???

Thanks, Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #100 of 5,310
Here is what they say in total Jim on impressions. I know it's conscise but seeing as these will be my first impression it is very handy. At this price I reckon these may be a lot I people first customs and there fore they will get first impression done for them.

There is also a advanced and beginner guide on CIEMs and impression coming on there site.

1. The impression must be taken past the second bend of the ear canal.
2. The impressions must be made with a high-viscosity silicone impression material.
3. Cotton dams are preferred.
4. An open mouth impression using a bite block is preferred.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #101 of 5,310
Here is what they say in total Jim on impressions. I know it's conscise but seeing as these will be my first impression it is very handy. At this price I reckon these may be a lot I people first customs and there fore they will get first impression done for them.
There is also a advanced and beginner guide on CIEMs and impression coming on there site.

All very good signs.

If the impressions are good, and the duplication of them is good...

There will be no stopping these guys from being successful.

I wish them Great Luck and Success.

Jim

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #102 of 5,310
I don't know a lot about getting impressions done but would be hesitant to do it myself.   I know that I can get an audiologist to do it at a charge much more than the $25 Cosmic charges for the kit.

I am just wondering about what happens if it doesn't fit well?  You send them back to the company.  The company reworks it...at no charge?

I am just wondering for Cosmic if it wouldn't make sense to subsidize the person getting impressions made by a qualified audiologist (say by discounting $25 from the $80-$100 impression fee) rather than have a lot of shipments coming back because the user didn't do a good job with the impressions.

I believe this is how it works with Etymotic with their custom fit program.  The audiologist would charge $35 for the impression rather than $80 and send the impressions directly to the company for the customs to be made.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #103 of 5,310
Seriously, it's not that hard to get a good impression. If I can do it, anyone can. I think I made a few bad molds the first time or two but even then I was able to get great impressions after a few more attempts.

I'm not sure how much material they send you but the standard kit I've seen usually has enough for three impressions, or sometimes five. So that's either one mistake or three mistakes allowed in the kit. I think most people could do it by then. 

Audiologists are usually well trained and know all kinds of stuff about your ears. But that doesn't mean they have experience with making molds for CIEMs. In fact I think most of them don't, judging from the collective reports on HeadFi. Seems like you are taking just as much of a risk if not more so by going to a pro as compared to doing it yourself. That's just my opinion though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back