Compact Portable Headphone Roundup (16 Phones including PortaPro, PX-100 II, V-Jays, Tracks, K430, and more)
Aug 10, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #151 of 202
Quote:

blink.gif
LOL, what kind of silly question is that?  We always need more and better headphones.  Coming here and saying you have enough headphones is like walking into a bar and saying you've had enough to drink.  You could do it, but you're gonna get weird looks.  Remember, there's a reason for why apologize for the anemic state of everyone's wallets. 
smile.gif

LOL! I know, I know. Time to stop complaining about the kool-aid.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #152 of 202
Quote:

Keep in mind that my experience is limited to only a few drivers, but I did find the Poratpros (on earclips) to sound quite a bit different than the KSC75's on parts-express headband. I enjoyed the bass on the Portapros (even though at times they could get muddy), and what be a seemed to be a larger soundstage (but that might have been mainly due to them being on the earclips). At any rate, considering getting them is more a response to headphone addiction lol!

Ok, I can see that. The clips would probably give the impression of the bigger soundstage. As far as the "addiction" it really depends on your budget, etc. Some of us like collecting lots of budget phones and others are satisfied with a few select pairs of high-end cans. I like having a few different portables with different sound signatures to choose from and also a few circumnaurals that are reasonably portable.

If you're open to trying some really affordable circumnaurals I would recommend the HTF600 and also definitely look into the Incipio f38.

http://www.amazon.ca/INCIPIO-Lifestyle-Hi-Fi-StereoHeadphones-Black/dp/B0089JA2Q6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344610461&sr=8-1

This is basically the same exact thing as my Fischer Audio FA-004, which I paid about $80.00 for 2 years ago. I really love them and the Incipio is less than 1/2 the price.

But I don't mind looking into other offerings, so thanks for your suggestions! Also, I don't mind the sound of $30 US (versus $300 US for the DT1350's).

You're welcome. I was just throwing some ideas out there for highly rated budget headphones. I know you're in Canada and it seems like Amazon.ca is pretty limited so maybe look around on ebay.ca (just stay away from those Hong Kong sellers!).

But when you're in the $300 range there are so many choices. I happen to love the DT1350 but a lot of people also love the Sennheiser Amperior, B&W C5, etc.

Thanks again!

Aug 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #154 of 202
Quote:
Ok, I can see that. The clips would probably give the impression of the bigger soundstage. As far as the "addiction" it really depends on your budget, etc. Some of us like collecting lots of budget phones and others are satisfied with a few select pairs of high-end cans. I like having a few different portables with different sound signatures to choose from and also a few circumnaurals that are reasonably portable.

I haven't figured out which category I'm in yet. I guess I was kind of thinking of getting the Portapro's for the earclips because they are cheap, and I have the earclips lying around. So this tells me that I might be becoming a collector or budget phones. Then again, I also was thinking of getting the DT1350's because I would also like a higher-end set (so that I know what you audiophiles are really talking about).

Quote:

If you're open to trying some really affordable circumnaurals I would recommend the HTF600 and also definitely look into the Incipio f38.

http://www.amazon.ca/INCIPIO-Lifestyle-Hi-Fi-StereoHeadphones-Black/dp/B0089JA2Q6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344610461&sr=8-1
ir

This is basically the same exact thing as my Fischer Audio FA-004, which I paid about $80.00 for 2 years ago. I really love them and the Incipio is less than 1/2 the price.

Awesome! I will check them both out - thank you
smile.gif

Quote:

You're welcome. I was just throwing some ideas out there for highly rated budget headphones. I know you're in Canada and it seems like Amazon.ca is pretty limited so maybe look around on ebay.ca (just stay away from those Hong Kong sellers!).

Yup!

Quote:

But when you're in the $300 range there are so many choices. I happen to love the DT1350 but a lot of people also love the Sennheiser Amperior, B&W C5, etc.

Ok. I think what I'll have to do is find a store where I can try out some of these higher end cans to start getting a feel for them, and take it from there.

Thanks for all of your advice!

Wayne

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #155 of 202
Late additions to my next roundup: AIAIAI Capital and TMA-1 Studio. Very much looking forward to checking those out. I'm thinking now I will do two seperate articles, one for portables and one for studio monitors and DJ cans.

Aug 15, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #156 of 202
Quote:
I've started my listening sessions for the next group of reviews. There may be some last minute additions, but for now the list includes:

Superlux HD661

I'm actually pretty curious about these.

Quote:
LOL! I know, I know. Time to stop complaining about the kool-aid.

Damn skippy, lol! 
smile.gif

Quote:
I'm thinking now I will do two seperate articles, one for portables and one for studio monitors and DJ cans.

Yup, that's a good idea.  Otherwise there'll be all kinds of crosstalk once the replies start flying.

Speaking of DJ cans, I just wrote my first Head-Fi review ever for Sennheiser's HD 215.  Not all multi-talented like you so I can only cover one model at a time:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/622696/review-the-sennheiser-hd-215-the-hd-205s-bigger-brother

Critiques and suggestions for improvement are totally welcome as I hope to write more reviews someday. 
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #157 of 202
Found out today that I'm getting the new Beyerdynamic DTX-501p for review.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/press/press-releases/press-detail/article/a-modern-classic-the-mobil-headphone-dtx-501-p.html

Looks like it could be a strong contender in the portable market and maybe addresses some of the shortcomings of the DTX-300p. I'm looking forward to checking it out...

The next roundup review is in the works...I'm still waiting for headphones from Ultrasone and AIAIAI. I'll definitely put all the portables in one review. So, my next portable roundup will include:

Supra-aural

Sennheiser HD229
Sennheiser HD239
Beyerdynamic DTX-501p
Incase Reflex
Ultrasone HFI-15G
AIAIAI Capital
HOM Redemption Song
Eskuche 33i

Circunmnaural

Fisher Audio FA-004
Incase Sonic
Ultrasone HFI-580
HOM Destiny TTR
JVC HA-S600
JVC HA-M750
German Maestro GMP 160
Superlux HD661
AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio

The "benchmark" headphone for the reviews will be my favorite Denon AH-D1001 that are discontinued but live on (sort of) as the Creative Aurava Live!

I may do stand-alone reviews for a few other headphones I have at the moment, such as the KRK KNS6400 and KNS8400, Ultrasone DJ1, and the Superlux HD631. Those phones just seem too big to really consider as a portable.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #158 of 202
Quote:
Found out today that I'm getting the new Beyerdynamic DTX-501p for review.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/press/press-releases/press-detail/article/a-modern-classic-the-mobil-headphone-dtx-501-p.html

Looks like it could be a strong contender in the portable market and maybe addresses some of the shortcomings of the DTX-300p. I'm looking forward to checking it out...

Hey, that looks like it might be alright!  If it does fairly well in your round-up, it just might end up being the first pair of Beyers that I actually own.  No pressure or anything... 
smile.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #159 of 202
Quote:

Hey, that looks like it might be alright!  If it does fairly well in your round-up, it just might end up being the first pair of Beyers that I actually own.  No pressure or anything... 
smile.gif

jant71 pointed out that it looks A LOT like the Soundmagic P30 (not the P20 I reviewed), so there may be some OEM going on there. But we'll see.

Actually the Beyerdynamic DT235 is a pretty darn good headphone for the $$. I used to have the DT231 (almost identical) but sold it to a friend. Very comfortable and nice SQ but it has an 8 ft. cable which makes it awkward for portable use.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #161 of 202
Quote:
Actually the Beyerdynamic DT235 is a pretty darn good headphone for the $$. I used to have the DT231 (almost identical) but sold it to a friend. Very comfortable and nice SQ but it has an 8 ft. cable which makes it awkward for portable use.

I saw an insanely low price on that on Amazon the other day.  Almost went for it.  But then I remembered that the last time I did that, I got faked out.  So of course I utilized restraint. 
smile.gif

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #162 of 202
[size=10pt]Cannot wait for a new roundup.[/size]

[size=10pt]Also, thanks for the tip on Eskuche Kassette way back, after listening to the first pair I ordered the second one right away. For $8.5 they are steal, and  in someways even better than Porta Pro or PX 100-ii.[/size]

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #163 of 202
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how the Eskuche Kassette compares to the Jvc Has160 Flats? Thanks.

I have never heard the HA-S160, only the S650 (which is super warm) and some of the bigger models. But others say that the Flats are rather neutral sounding. The Kassette is not, it's more of a v-shaped "fun" signature but not too bass-heavy or bright. It's pretty well balanced. I recommend highly if you can get a great price (see posts below).

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #164 of 202
Quote:
[size=10pt]Cannot wait for a new roundup.[/size]
[size=10pt]Also, thanks for the tip on Eskuche Kassette way back, after listening to the first pair I ordered the second one right away. For $8.5 they are steal, and  in someways even better than Porta Pro or PX 100-ii.[/size]

Wow, I'm really glad someone finally grabbed those at that price. They had some (in Red) on Amazon a few days ago for $13 and I posted that in the deal alert thread, but they're gone. Right now there are a few there in White for about $20 + S/H. It really is an underrated headphone and will probably never have the following of something like the JVC HA-S160 because of the obscure brand name and relative lack of availability. Also, I've found the other models from Eskuche to be very mediocre, so it's a nice surprise that their entry-level model is so good. I can't say that it's better than the PX-100 II in any regard, but it's certainly right up there with the PortaPro.

In what ways do you find them "better" than the Koss or Sennheiser? I'd love to know...

By the way, the new roundup is still a few weeks away at best (see post below)

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #165 of 202
I've already finished reviewing some of the headphones for the next roundup, but as so often happens there are some delays. I first sent out "feelers" to the manufacturers over a month ago and some were very quick to respond while others are just getting back to me now and want to participate.

So, in addition to the list I posted above (post #157) you can add:

Noontec Zoro
RHA CA-200
RHA SA-950i

Also, Ultrasone did not have any HFI-450 available so they are sending the HFI-580 instead, along with the HFI-15G and DJ1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back