Classical music headphones | M50s not so good
Sep 5, 2011 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

brydon10

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of M50's that I use with my udac2 and mostly everything sounds the way I like it. However I am just starting to get into some classical music (symphonies atm) and it's not sounding so perfect, everything sounds too 'close' to me if that makes sense, no depth. Even my Razer Carcharias (open gaming headset) sounds a bit better with classical. Any recommendation on a set of cans that would be better for classical music paired with my udac2? I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible, but I'm still open to all recommendations. Thanks for the help

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 21
AD700/900

Ad900 best

About the only genre they are good for

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 21
I'd suggest checking into the HD-598. They're quite good for classical music. You can get them for $175 by calling J&R, but I believe Amazon now sells them for around this price.
As an ultra low budget headphone, the Superlux HD-668B isn't too bad for this. It's soundstage is quite good. They do have a lot of treble.

Another option is the AKG K240 Studio for around $100. It's semi-open. It's soundstage isn't anything special, but it's very comfortable.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 21
Depends on how *far* you wish to delve into the genre of classical music.

Some may disagree but plenty of others would vouch for the fact that
classical and baroque compositions are the defining test for imaging,
soundstage and separation for a headphone. There's just so much
going on, that to expect a perfect symphony reproduction is asking
too much from a $200 headphone. Not surprised that the M50's
fell over with this task given that they can sound fairly congested.

I'm going to recommend the K601 or a second hand K701/K702.

The HiFiMan HE-300 may be worth a look also.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Depends on how *far* you wish to delve into the genre of classical music.

Some may disagree but plenty of others would vouch for the fact that
classical and baroque compositions are the defining test for imaging,
soundstage and separation for a headphone. There's just so much
going on, that to expect a perfect symphony reproduction is asking
too much from a $200 headphone. Not surprised that the M50's
fell over with this task given that they can sound fairly congested.

I'm going to recommend the K601 or a second hand K701/K702.

The HiFiMan HE-300 may be worth a look also.

I was going to suggest the K601 and K702/K701 also, but I honestly did not know if the UDAC2 is enough. I'm sure it's a fine amp.
If all I did was listen to classical music (and the K501 didn't exist!) I'd own a K702 for sure! I always loved the K702 for classical and ambient music.

I'm sure the UDAC2 should drive the K702 fine, but I'd check into it first beforehand. The Q701 is going for only $230 or so now I believe. Used probably a little under $200.

For classical I might take the K702 over the K601, but I'm not sure...

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 21
Ditto!  I just picked a pair of these up the other day--they're really nice for symphonies, chamber music, and choral works.  I haven't tried them with opera or piano yet, though I imagine that they would do nicely.  I was able to get J&R down to $160 by going to the store and haggling; but knowing what I know now, I would have been happy with them at full price.  Before the HD598 I had the K702.  I think the biggest difference is the added warmth and weighty low-end.  The K702 is a bit more detailed, but the overall package isn't as lush or engaging.  Also, the HD598 is pretty easy to drive, so almost any source will make them shine.   

Quote:
I'd suggest checking into the HD-598. They're quite good for classical music. You can get them for $175 by calling J&R, but I believe Amazon now sells them for around this price.

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
I have a pair of M50's that I use with my udac2 and mostly everything sounds the way I like it. However I am just starting to get into some classical music (symphonies atm) and it's not sounding so perfect, everything sounds too 'close' to me if that makes sense, no depth. Even my Razer Carcharias (open gaming headset) sounds a bit better with classical. Any recommendation on a set of cans that would be better for classical music paired with my udac2? I'd like to keep it under $200 if possible, but I'm still open to all recommendations. Thanks for the help

Heya,

I find classical to sound best when there's a lot of mids, detail and enough bass to keep it from sounding hallow while having a good sound stage to sort of immerse you in all the instruments.

Here's some headphones that come to mind: Fischer Audio FA-011, Sennheiser HD598, Grado SR225i, AKG K142 HD, used BeyerDynamic DT880, used Shure SRH940's. Note, those are all velour/soft padded version headphones that are mostly open-air or closed-back with good sound stage. Search out some reviews on the above and see if anything peaks your interest.

Very best,

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 21
I had the HD558s briefly and liked them for classical, the increased soundstage and bass of the HD598 could only make them even better.

I agree, classical music is definitely a bit beyond the M50s and I rarely admit they have any faults. 
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 21
AKG?

K-501 > K-601 > K-701. And I don't recommend the K-701; it was voiced wrong and the mids don't sound right. The K-601 is a good headphone, but the K-501 costs less and nails classical. You might also consider the K-240DF which is wonderful with classical.

You might also enjoy the Beyerdynamic DT48. The DT48 is a love/hate proposition, but you can't go wrong with a used one. It'll sell for what you paid for it if you (unfortunately) fall into the "hate" camp.

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #10 of 21
The K501 are great for classical. Just be aware that spare parts like pads are no longer available. The K701 were never my cup of tea either. I can not comment on the K601. 

You may like Beyerdynamic DT880. There are plenty available used. Same with the DT48 but they are definitely a love or hate affair. I love mine but it took me a long time, months, to get to love them. 

Sep 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
AKG?

K-501 > K-601 > K-701. And I don't recommend the K-701; it was voiced wrong and the mids don't sound right. The K-601 is a good headphone, but the K-501 costs less and nails classical. You might also consider the K-240DF which is wonderful with classical.

You might also enjoy the Beyerdynamic DT48. The DT48 is a love/hate proposition, but you can't go wrong with a used one. It'll sell for what you paid for it if you (unfortunately) fall into the "hate" camp.

I agree with this. I know you probably won't reply or see this, but Uncle Erik have you tried the K702? If not, you should try it sometime. I felt the K701 had that "plasticky" sound to it a bit, but not the K702. I think the K702 is a good headphone, but I'm not a huge fan of it (I do like it). It does have more positives than negatives though.

The K601 is around $190-$230 and the the K501 is usually too hard to find. If you do find it, it'll probably be $200-$300.

I doubt anyone is going to let it go for under $200. If mine dies I'd glady pay up to $300 for a replacement if I had too.

BTW for those saying you can't find the pads for the K501..you can use the K601/K702 pads. It does alter the sound a bit though. K601 pads make the mids less forward a tad I think.

Sep 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:

BTW for those saying you can't find the pads for the K501..you can use the K601/K702 pads. It does alter the sound a bit though. K601 pads make the mids less forward a tad I think.

Good thing to point, I had to replaced my K501 pads with the ones for the K601. Unfortunately, it does take away some of the K501 magic…

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 21
lots to consider here, better kiss my wallet goodbye.

Sep 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #14 of 21
Thanks for all the replies. The HD 598's seem like a decent choice with my udac2. The AKGs look really nice but I don't think my tiny udac2 could handle the K701/2 (those are the ones im mainly interested in) I am still going to look for some of your recommendations in the used forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back