Classical music headphone.
Jul 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
I do listen some doom/black metal from time to time, I wonder if the DT 660 could power that.

I have no idea since I never listen to that genre.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #33 of 45
It won't damage the headphone, if that's what you're asking.  Assuming it's being plugged into the headphone port of course, and not rewired to come from the speaker taps (depending on the power output).

Whether or not you are going to get 100% of the audio quality depends on the specific amp.  Some speaker amp HP outputs are great, and some are terrible.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #34 of 45
You've chosen the right headphone IMO. I've had the 650, K702, D2000 all used for classical and there's nothing quite like the sweet airy sound of the Hifiman's for letting you sink into the music without the need to examine it. That's what true hifi hp's should do! Very similar to the 650's only more refined and accurate.

Now you've chosen a great headphone you can experiment with amps and dacs. Luckily, the HE500's sound good out of most amplifiers so you really don't need to spend a fortune, but I would reccomend a hybrid or powerful SS.

Enjoy!  

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #35 of 45
It won't damage the headphone, if that's what you're asking.  Assuming it's being plugged into the headphone port of course, and not rewired to come from the speaker taps (depending on the power output).

Whether or not you are going to get 100% of the audio quality depends on the specific amp.  Some speaker amp HP outputs are great, and some are terrible.

headphone outs on speaker amps are usually tied to the power amp section via dropping resistors. this limits the power output at the hedphone out section and gives the headphone out it's given output impedance. receivers are usually high in the headphone out given output impedance. preamps are usally low and similar to headamps with output impedance but preamps usually tend to have higher output voltages overall making them great for 600ohm headphones.

even if he ran it off the speaker outputs it doesn't matter cause it won't kill the headphone no matter the amps' given rms power rating. only stupidity and lack of common sense kills hearing and the headphones. you can drive just about any headphone from speaker outs. it's not just a planer thing. it works wonderful with dynamics too. just depending on given sensitivity of the headphone and you're amp's overall s/n ratio you might run into gain/noise issues but that all depends. all i do is plug stuff up and see how it sounds to me.

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #36 of 45
Jul 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 45
Quote:
Good choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nope, sure won't. In fact, it may sound pretty darned good. Check it out before putting down cash for a dedicated amp.

That's right but make sure they are comfortable for you

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #40 of 45
I listen to classical classical era to early romantic, currently using akg 271 but am interested in the new senheiser momentum. My amp is a corda arietta and I only listen to cds via arcam fmjcd23. Any suggestions for another closed unit with good ambient noise damping?

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:
I listen to classical classical era to early romantic, currently using akg 271 but am interested in the new senheiser momentum. My amp is a corda arietta and I only listen to cds via arcam fmjcd23. Any suggestions for another closed unit with good ambient noise damping?

AKG 550 might be an option for you and they are quite popular with some very good reviews, I haven't heard them myself but I don't use closed hp's. Akg make very good classical hp's.
Problem with the Senn momentum's is that not many peeps have heard them yet to give a general opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back