Classical music headphone.
Jul 7, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 45
Hifiman HE-500

Looks good, and I can get it for 600 euros.

They seem to be quite heavy, I listen to music 5 hours a day, and I have a small head,  will that be a problem?

Will it hurt the headphone if I listen with my normal amplifier for now?

How essential is the headphone amp?

I am ready to order once I read your answers to these questions.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
So many different choices, it's boggling my mind!

I could get the BEYERDYNAMIC DT 660 for 170 euro. 

But it's cheap, perhaps too cheap.

Then there's the AKG K702 for 320 euro.

What is the difference between Q701 and K701?

I'm willing to go above 500, it just has to be the best bang for buck.

Stay away from that cheap stuff.  It might be too good.
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:
It's a hard choice, can a 170 euro heapdhone (DT 660) come close to the Hifiman HE-500?

I've heard the HE-5LE and I can't say it really sounded better.  I'd have to do an A/B comparison for that and I don't have both together right now.  I think the texture of the sound of magnetic planars has a different quality to it than dynamic headphones.  If you like it, you like it.

BTW, if you haven't heard any of the Hyperion series of piano transcriptions of Bach's music, mostly organ works, I recommend them musically and aurally.  They make me wish Gould had done a bunch but these pianists, especially the Russians, do quite a job. 

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 45
HE-400 and HE-500 are really heavy on my small and narrow head but since they have 30 days return policy you should try them yourself since some people have no problems with them

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 45
I listen trough an old NAD amplifier now. 3240PE. but I'm willing to buy a DAC/headphone amp (not included in budget)

The AKG Q701 looks interesting.

the Q701 is my recommendation, very solid headphones for your tastes. For more money the Shure SRH1840s are great.

Jul 8, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #27 of 45
no one suggest the sa5000? weird... with it's accentuated air response and airy sound it would compliment wind and string instruments wonderfully and is clean enough where it will do great in complex situations in the music so things like jazz and classical or even electronic music sound amazing. their clarity is top notch too. probably best clarity i heard from a dynamic headphone.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:26 AM Post #28 of 45
the Q701 is on my head now....hard to go wrong with this one. 
he500...might slip off the head if its small.
y dun u buy both and see which u like better.

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #29 of 45
The HE500's are heavy, but it depends on how sensitive your head is.  For me, they were uncomfortable because I am bald (and have a soft skull apparently), and the headband is not very wide, so I modded them to fix the problem.  As far as just pure mass is concerned, I don't think they are that bad (again, the headband weight distribution is the problem), but a HD600 will absolutely be much more comfortable for long term use - they are very comfortable, and light.

FYI, I didn't like the knobs on the K702 headband, so I had to mod those also when I had them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back