Chord Hugo
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #15,226 of 15,694
To my knowledge, it uses the battery power at all times, but the charger will continue to keep it charged as it plays. Supposedly, you can keep it on and plugged in all the time, though I never have. I run my battery down until it flashes red and stops playing. Then I plug the charger in, and I can continue to play it while it charges. When I'm finished playing, I turn it off and let it complete it's charge cycle.
Hi all, this is my first post!:wave:

In my opinion, leaving it powered up while recharging is fine short term, but it will reduce the overall lifespan of the batteries, because it's using energy (you will notice it stays warm) and is therefore constantly recharging. I have used mine this way (lightly) for 3 years and the batteries recently died. I have many other devices with lithium batteries that are lasting much longer. Hugo 2 has addressed this issue by going into a sort of 'battery bypass' mode after 24h of being idle on the charger. Second point; deep discharging has no benefits for lithium batteries and, according to what I've read, it's actually better to recharge more frequently (i.e. 2000 recharges from half capacity has less impact on life than 1000 recharges from fully drained). So, from now on, I intend to leave mine connected to the charger when not in use, but turn it off. It doesn't take long to warm up again.

Staying with batteries, I wanted to share some information with my fellow Europeans regarding sourcing replacements. When I did my research, I found the info on battery type and OEM easily enough, but couldn't find advice on where to buy. I found out that they are distributed by RS components and the stock number is 615-2472. Most countries in Europe should be able to order from there online. Price varies according to country, I paid £46 for the pair including tax & next day shipping. A good saving on the Chord fee of £150 including labour, and much faster.

HTH

Disclaimer: I do NOT advocate DIY battery replacement and anyone who chooses to replace their Hugo batteries personally does so at their own risk. The task requires a low powered soldering iron, with a small tip, and sufficient skill to be able to use it. The battery contacts on the PCB are very close together; it would be easy to create a bridge, cause damage etc. if the job is not done with the right equipment and utmost care! I only did mine by myself because it had gone out of warranty, and I happen to posses the necessary skill & equipment.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #15,227 of 15,694
My Hugo does not work on the HD USB input since the latest W10 Creators edition update. It says something like unsigned drivers, is there a way to fix that?
First time I started using windows 10, I found that the driver worked on HD input, but not with hi-res files. Redbook was OK but anything more was stuttering badly.

Removing the driver and installing the 'creators update' version from Chord's website fixed it http://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo/

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #15,228 of 15,694
First time I started using windows 10, I found that the driver worked, but not on hi-res. Redbook was OK but anything more was stuttering badly.

Removing the driver and installing the 'creators update' version from Chord's website fixed it http://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugo/

That is what I did, had to first remove all previous drivers and install the new ones.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #15,229 of 15,694
Hi everybody,
I have a basic question I could not answer: when did the Chord Hugo v2 replaced the v1 (I'm not talking of the new Hugo 2)? any significant difference soundwise?
Thanks in advance

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #15,230 of 15,694
If you are referring to when chord inverted the micro USB it was soon after launch. Within 6 months I think?

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #15,231 of 15,694
Hi everybody,
I have a basic question I could not answer: when did the Chord Hugo v2 replaced the v1 (I'm not talking of the new Hugo 2)? any significant difference soundwise?
Thanks in advance

There were 2 changes and neither made any difference to the sound. The first was a change in the case to make the RCA ports more accessiblle. This was very soon after the launch

If you are referring to when chord inverted the micro USB it was soon after launch. Within 6 months I think?

This change was made a bit later. Certainly after the black version was introduced as I have a Black Hugo with the new case, but original USB mounts.

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #15,232 of 15,694
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm not sure, as references to v2 are unclear. But the most important thing, if I get you both right, is that soundwise all Hugo sound exactly the same. Sonic changes were introduced only with the new Hugo 2 version, is that right?
How the usb change can be spotted? what shall I look at?

Feb 5, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #15,233 of 15,694
Yes there is no difference.

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #15,234 of 15,694
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'm not sure, as references to v2 are unclear. But the most important thing, if I get you both right, is that soundwise all Hugo sound exactly the same. Sonic changes were introduced only with the new Hugo 2 version, is that right?
How the usb change can be spotted? what shall I look at?

6153205.jpg

00001458_00.jpg

V1 (Old) - No space around RCA, Micro-usb small side up
V1.5 (Rudi's) - Space around RCA, Micro-usb small side up
V2 (Final) - Space around RCA, Micro-sub large side up.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #15,235 of 15,694
When using my Hugo in my 2.1 system with the Bluetooth connection I get horrible interference, worse than any connection I've ever had. I have no issues when I use the same setup and Bluetooth on my Rotel integrated amp. Any suggestions?

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #15,236 of 15,694
When using my Hugo in my 2.1 system with the Bluetooth connection I get horrible interference, worse than any connection I've ever had. I have no issues when I use the same setup and Bluetooth on my Rotel integrated amp. Any suggestions?

Which other device are you using? Is it a 4.x device with aptx or the newer aptx hd? And are there any interfering devices in the neighborhood?

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #15,237 of 15,694
Which other device are you using? Is it a 4.x device with aptx or the newer aptx hd? And are there any interfering devices in the neighborhood?
Thanks for the reply - it is a BT 4.0 device (Surface Pro) that I connect to the Hugo, then run the Hugo through the Rotel. If I just connect the Surface to the Rotel, no interference. The response that I just got from Chord makes no sense in this situation - they said:

"Bluetooth is very much down to compatibility when talking about quality. Hugo uses APTX bluetooth which works best with android devices, however if you use an iPhone it will not sound as good because apple use A2DP. This is why you are seeing inconsistencies between devices when connecting to Hugo. Unfortunately bluetooth is a very poor sounding connection unless you have two devices using APTX."

If I am not changing the source, this response makes no sense.

I also want to stress just how poor the connection is with the Hugo - this is not just a bad connection, it is horrible stuttering, useless for music in my opinion.

I have read all the posts in this thread of others with similar issues.

I am going to try to move the Hugo away from where I keep my WiFi router; but, in theory, this should not make a difference because my Rotel is in the same location and works just fine.

Let me know if you have any thoughts!

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #15,238 of 15,694
I have kept the Hugo and the BT source very close to each other. If I am walking, I be sure BOTH are either inside or outside my jacket, as even that extra thickness of cloth makes a difference. I often drop both into the same pants pocket, only pulling out the source when I want to switch music. When pulled out, the BT stutters and if out for too long, just loses connection.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #15,239 of 15,694
I never used blue tooth, I’m a cable guy

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #15,240 of 15,694
I have kept the Hugo and the BT source very close to each other. If I am walking, I be sure BOTH are either inside or outside my jacket, as even that extra thickness of cloth makes a difference. I often drop both into the same pants pocket, only pulling out the source when I want to switch music. When pulled out, the BT stutters and if out for too long, just loses connection.
+1 to this. Aptx works best only when the devices are on top of each other. I tested this with my Sony A17. A2DP has longer ranger approx 6-10 feet.
I'm guessing the poor range is due to the metal body (with only a small plastic window) of HUGO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back