Chord Hugo
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #15,196 of 15,692
Mushy peas?
All I remember is that authentic Fish and Chips in Brighton and Hastings at least, used to come wrapped up in yesterday's Daily Newspaper with readable print on the fish at times.
One way to digest the news.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushy_peas
Google 'mushy peas' and you will find plenty of recipes, if you ever want to experiment - assuming that you could obtain the ingredients, such as some marrowfat peas. The street markets in Asia do sell an enormous range of ingredients, so you may be in with a chance.

Fish and chips always used to come wrapped in unsold newspapers, but then everywhere changed to using off-white paper. I presume that 'health and safety' eventually raised an issue about people eating minute traces of printing ink.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #15,197 of 15,692
Hi folks,
apologies if this is going over old ground but I have just acquired an AK240 and I loaded her up with all my DFF ,DSD, type files and they don't play!
It just sits and doesn't play but it will play my WAV and FLAC files
Please can someone give me some help and help remove the feeling that I've bought a faulty player
The artwork for the track shows fine and it looks as though it should start playing but doesn't
The time line always has 537:06:35 at the end if that helps???

Thanks in advance

Nov 19, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #15,198 of 15,692
Hi folks,
apologies if this is going over old ground but I have just acquired an AK240 and I loaded her up with all my DFF ,DSD, type files and they don't play!
It just sits and doesn't play but it will play my WAV and FLAC files
Please can someone give me some help and help remove the feeling that I've bought a faulty player
The artwork for the track shows fine and it looks as though it should start playing but doesn't
The time line always has 537:06:35 at the end if that helps???

Thanks in advance
You should do a google search for the A&K240 thread. This is for the old Chord Hugo.

Nov 29, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #15,200 of 15,692
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #15,202 of 15,692
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #15,203 of 15,692
Well guys, I've finally decided to put my money where my mouth was and after all the praise I gave Hugo 2 after the last Fujiya-Avic show, to get one for myself. I've also recently pretty much sold off my whole system except for the PS Audio P5 power supply, HE-1000 and the WireWorld and Axios cables. So, in anticipation of building a new ToTL system, I thought that getting a Hugo 2 would be a good idea. :)

5B375FF7-71FC-430B-A58C-8CEA78351B99.jpeg

10517C52-6D69-4B0E-8124-137045CF82E0.jpeg

42732411-23CD-4EA8-A654-3DFD51C4BB1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #15,204 of 15,692
Well guys, I've finally decided to put my money where my mouth was and after all the praise I gave Hugo 2 after the last Fujiya-Avic show, to get one for myself. I've also recently pretty much sold off my whole system except for the PS Audio P5 power supply, HE-1000 and the WireWorld and Axios cables. So, in anticipation of building a new ToTL system, I thought that getting a Hugo 2 would be a good idea. :)

Nice setup. I'd just add a good USB decrapifier before the Hugo.
And hey, that Axios looks stunning!

Dec 9, 2017 at 12:32 AM Post #15,205 of 15,692
Nice setup. I'd just add a good USB decrapifier before the Hugo.
And hey, that Axios looks stunning!
You mean something like Mutec MC-3+USB? Yup, sold off that as well, haha! :D

I just moved to a new apartment recently so haven't had the time to add the P5 to the mix, but I'm not sure how much it will add to the sound quality because both Hugo and the Mac are battery based, so I'm assuming nothing...

This used to be my setup and as you can see, my Mutec was an integral part of the system, I really liked it. And yeah, as you've said, that Axios cable is quite nice and no, I'm not selling that any time soon! :D

CD4B074F-B15A-4816-95CB-ACFE724E78B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM Post #15,206 of 15,692
I just moved to a new apartment recently so haven't had the time to add the P5 to the mix, but I'm not sure how much it will add to the sound quality because both Hugo and the Mac are battery based, so I'm assuming nothing...
I assumed the same and was wrong, at list to my ears.
The addition of a SOtM sMS-200 to my old Hugo/Mac combo was surprisingly effective.
You can try also with a Regen (inexpensive), Intona USB Isolator or tX-USB Ultra (the last one if price is not an issue...).

Dec 9, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #15,207 of 15,692
I assumed the same and was wrong, at list to my ears.
The addition of a SOtM sMS-200 to my old Hugo/Mac combo was surprisingly effective.
You can try also with a Regen (inexpensive), Intona USB Isolator or tX-USB Ultra (the last one if price is not an issue...).
Awesome, gotta try that.

Anyway, I have a question about why my Hugo is powering down by itself. I've read that it will do so after 15 min if there is no USB signal coming in. But I'm listening to music and I'm plugged into the wall. So why has it shut down twice already?

Dec 9, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #15,210 of 15,692
Oh wait, now I remember, Dave has galvanic isolation not Hugo. So yeah, it's supposed to work on Hugo. But still, my P5 is a power supply, not a reclocker, and I don't think it's going to do much since Hugo has batteries.

But than again, I might be wrong!
One thing is the noise coming from the power supply, which doesn’t affect Hugo anyway because is battery operated, and a different thing is the noise coming from the USB signal (typically jitter).
Although Rob Watts has always stated that Hugo is almost insensitive to jitter, in my experience I found a significant benefit from USB cleaners (reclockers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back