Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #34,907 of 35,472
How would you rate them against your LZ03A and Havi B3?

Not at home atm, and will be away the whole weekend, but I can do an A/B when I get home. z03a is pretty bad IMO, and Havi is very different sound sig, M2 is a lot bassier, Havi is more refined and with better soundstage etc. I'll give you a more detailed comparison when I can A/B them, though.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #34,908 of 35,472
Not at home atm, and will be away the whole weekend, but I can do an A/B when I get home. z03a is pretty bad IMO, and Havi is very different sound sig, M2 is a lot bassier, Havi is more refined and with better soundstage etc. I'll give you a more detailed comparison when I can A/B them, though.

Cheers :) i was hoping they might be on par with GR07s. Just a bit more airy and deeper low end.

Sep 16, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #34,909 of 35,472
Bought the YHC S600 thanks to B9Scrambler's review. Just got these delivered, and I must say I'm quite impressed! Exceptional soundstage, deep bass, warm mids and smooth treble with just the right amount of sparkle. As for negatives, I detect minor distortion in bass while listening to really bass heavy tracks and fit is a bit finicky due to that huge housing. Other than that these are of excellent value.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #34,911 of 35,472
Bought the YHC S600 thanks to B9Scrambler's review. Just got these delivered, and I must say I'm quite impressed! Exceptional soundstage, deep bass, warm mids and smooth treble with just the right amount of sparkle. As for negatives, I detect minor distortion in bass while listening to really bass heavy tracks and fit is a bit finicky due to that huge housing. Other than that these are of excellent value.

Glad you're liking them! Their bass is a bit loose and while I don't run into distortion at the volumes I listen (i.e. really low), I could see that becoming an issue as you up the volume dial. Still, they're quite fun :) Did you stick with the stock tips or have you played around with different options?

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #34,912 of 35,472
Nevermind :)

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #34,913 of 35,472
So how does it sound?

I haven't been "involved", but did follow a few heated discussions in the past about some other multi-BA and hybrid DIY iems where some people said it sounds good while others mentioned it was awful...  I got DT86 today and had them on burn in for 4hrs...  So far, the only good thing about them is... pretty cable.  I hate to say they sound really bad (something is seriously wrong with the mids tuning, like someone sucked the life out of them, very veiled, sound lo-fi, very narrow) because it could be another case of QC or something being stuck in the nozzle, etc.  So, I'm curious how do you find them?  I mean, they look beautiful, tiny shell completely filled with 5 drivers, metal narrow nozzle, nice mmcx socket, and beautiful braided cable (Penon sells it by itself for $35 which is a bargain for 8-braid cable).  But something is seriously wrong with a tuning of the mids in my review pair...  Really puzzled and confused...
From the way you describe how awful it sound, it just reminds me of a DIY 5BA i bought off Taobao recently. These DIY have serious QC issues and which is why i will never risk my hard-earned money anymore on those unheard DIY. Return is gonna be another one big complicated problems too as they just gonna ask you to keep burning in and see but of course we know what we hear, i hear no potential at all that how burning in gonna change the sound. Upon unable to get refund from seller, I ended up dissecting my pair to confirm are there really 5 BAs inside and they have indeed so it must've been a very bad crossover design or very serious QC issues when they solder those components together. Hope you can get yours sorted out and get a refund at least.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #34,914 of 35,472
@anticute the Seahf earbuds are great but Seahf has one IEM on the market! A few mentions of it in tis thread since late 2015 but no reviews.
I will surely post my impressions soon as i get my hands on it Monday.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Seahf-EG009-Custom-Made-Double-Dynamic-Around-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Monitor-Headphones-Headset-With-MMCX/32530502110.html

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #34,915 of 35,472
  @anticute the Seahf earbuds are great but Seahf has one IEM on the market! A few mentions of it in tis thread since late 2015 but no reviews.
I will surely post my impressions soon as i get my hands on it Monday.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Seahf-EG009-Custom-Made-Double-Dynamic-Around-Ear-Earphone-HIFI-Monitor-Headphones-Headset-With-MMCX/32530502110.html

Yeah, sorry about that, edited it since I realized I had misread and not noticed it said "IEM" and not "earbud". Apparently I wasn't fast enough :)

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #34,916 of 35,472
  Yeah, sorry about that, edited it since I realized I had misread and not noticed it said "IEM" and not "earbud". Apparently I wasn't fast enough :)

No worries bro, haha. I didn't notice your post until after I had
biggrin.gif

Either way I'll have some pictures and impressions of it in a couple days, surprised it has 87 orders but no review on HeadFi!

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #34,917 of 35,472

So how does it sound?

I haven't been "involved", but did follow a few heated discussions in the past about some other multi-BA and hybrid DIY iems where some people said it sounds good while others mentioned it was awful...  I got DT86 today and had them on burn in for 4hrs...  So far, the only good thing about them is... pretty cable.  I hate to say they sound really bad (something is seriously wrong with the mids tuning, like someone sucked the life out of them, very veiled, sound lo-fi, very narrow) because it could be another case of QC or something being stuck in the nozzle, etc.  So, I'm curious how do you find them?  I mean, they look beautiful, tiny shell completely filled with 5 drivers, metal narrow nozzle, nice mmcx socket, and beautiful braided cable (Penon sells it by itself for $35 which is a bargain for 8-braid cable).  But something is seriously wrong with a tuning of the mids in my review pair...  Really puzzled and confused...

From the way you describe how awful it sound, it just reminds me of a DIY 5BA i bought off Taobao recently. These DIY have serious QC issues and which is why i will never risk my hard-earned money anymore on those unheard DIY. Return is gonna be another one big complicated problems too as they just gonna ask you to keep burning in and see but of course we know what we hear, i hear no potential at all that how burning in gonna change the sound. Upon unable to get refund from seller, I ended up dissecting my pair to confirm are there really 5 BAs inside and they have indeed so it must've been a very bad crossover design or very serious QC issues when they solder those components together. Hope you can get yours sorted out and get a refund at least.

I didn't buy these.  As a reviewer, typically companies or vendors send me their products for testing and evaluation.  My last 4-5 reviews covered flagship brand name iems/ciems in price range of $1k-$2k, so I thought it could be fun to try something for $180.  I do agree, this could be an artifact of a bad QC.  My intent of posting this impression was not to bring down the product or others who bought or reviewing DT86, but rather to compare notes, to see if there is some discrepancy.  As I mentioned above, I have seen some heated discussions about DIY iems where people hear complete opposite signature/tonality, and I'm afraid this could one of these cases :frowning2:

Regarding dealing with shady aliexpress or taobao sellers, that is a reason why I ONLY recommend dealing with Penon Audio.  They are actually the one who sent me DT86 for testing.  I've been dealing with these guys for the last 3 years, and it's always a pleasure.

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #34,918 of 35,472
I didn't buy these.  As a reviewer, typically companies or vendors send me their products for testing and evaluation.  My last 4-5 reviews covered flagship brand name iems/ciems in price range of $1k-$2k, so I thought it could be fun to try something for $180.  I do agree, this could be an artifact of a bad QC.  My intent of posting this impression was not to bring down the product or others who bought or reviewing DT86, but rather to compare notes, to see if there is some discrepancy.  As I mentioned above, I have seen some heated discussions about DIY iems where people hear complete opposite signature/tonality, and I'm afraid this could one of these cases :frowning2:

Regarding dealing with shady aliexpress or taobao sellers, that is a reason why I ONLY recommend dealing with Penon Audio.  They are actually the one who sent me DT86 for testing.  I've been dealing with these guys for the last 3 years, and it's always a pleasure.
i believe too alex. I will burn in them more and pair with other sources before doing a review

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #34,919 of 35,472
Someone should get the DT86 to someone who has a reasonable measuring kit.  Measurements won't tell you everything - but the'll soon tell you if the freq response is bad, and if someone's hyping them undeservedly.

I'd like to see moderators doing something about "hypers", I don't like what I've been reading lately, many headfiers seem to overreact when getting a new toy and are posting overly positive feedback without taking their time, just to be the first to post about the brand new iem.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  What I'd like to see is more measurements to balance out the hype.  You can't run away from a frequency response graph if someone is hyping the heck out of something. And I'd also like more people to call to task anyone caught hyping gear.  The problem at the moment is that there has been an explosion of manufacturers pushing earphones. They're finding more and more people who will write a positive review - basically to get a start. What these new writers don't know is that by doing it they'll also build a reputation (and not a good one) - and that sticks.  Better to be honest - and write a realistic review piece. To me, integrity (and my own rep) is worth way more than a free sample (regardless of price).

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #34,920 of 35,472
  Someone should get the DT86 to someone who has a reasonable measuring kit.  Measurements won't tell you everything - but the'll soon tell you if the freq response is bad, and if someone's hyping them undeservedly.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  What I'd like to see is more measurements to balance out the hype.  You can't run away from a frequency response graph if someone is hyping the heck out of something. And I'd also like more people to call to task anyone caught hyping gear.  The problem at the moment is that there has been an explosion of manufacturers pushing earphones. They're finding more and more people who will write a positive review - basically to get a start. What these new writers don't know is that by doing it they'll also build a reputation (and not a good one) - and that sticks.  Better to be honest - and write a realistic review piece. To me, integrity (and my own rep) is worth way more than a free sample (regardless of price).

agreed. i bought the lz a2s because of good reviews only to be disappointed!
i will use the dt86 for a few weeks b4 making a final conclusion.
so far i will say it is sensitive with different dap pairings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back