Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #11,326 of 35,472
  I wouldn't trust wirecutter. Their initial selection isn't the best. Many of their recommendations I disagree with as well. With that said, that's an extremely good price for what were $150 earphones. I would pick them up just to test them out. 

+1. Their logic is specious at best and they dismiss things anything that doesn't have a mic and then call a micless headphone the best. 

"RHA MA 450i- Super noisy cord, and lackluster reviews on Apple site.

SoundMAGIC E30- $38 no mic, too expensive.

Soundsoul S-018 – Too much for no mic. (LOL)

Fischer Audio DBA-02 – lackluster reviews. (what?)"

Having said that, I have heard good things about the XBA H series, so don't let that dissuade you. Just look at several other reviews and comparisons before you take the Wirecutter's word for it. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #11,327 of 35,472

+1. Their logic is specious at best and they dismiss things anything that doesn't have a mic and then call a micless headphone the best. 

"RHA MA 450i- Super noisy cord, and lackluster reviews on Apple site.

SoundMAGIC E30- $38 no mic, too expensive.

Soundsoul S-018 – Too much for no mic. (LOL)

Fischer Audio DBA-02 – lackluster reviews. (what?)"

Having said that, I have heard good things about the XBA H series, so don't let that dissuade you. Just look at several other reviews and comparisons before you take the Wirecutter's word for it. 

Even with the poorly thought-out reviews, you have to admit their T10i impression is a hilarious read.

"As Phit put it, “Putting on the RHA was like having Iron Man land in your front yard… and then he takes off the helmet and it’s Rick Moranis.” If only RHA’s sound were on par with their genius design, they’d have taken this category by storm."

Lachlan has a good review up for the XBA H1 if the OP is interested.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #11,328 of 35,472

Even with the poorly thought-out reviews, you have to admit their T10i impression is a hilarious read.

"As Phit put it, “Putting on the RHA was like having Iron Man land in your front yard… and then he takes off the helmet and it’s Rick Moranis.” If only RHA’s sound were on par with their genius design, they’d have taken this category by storm."

Lachlan has a good review up for the XBA H1 if the OP is interested.

Yea.. after looking at some reviews and at Wirecutter's reasoning, I've come to the conclusion that there are probably better IEMs to spend time and money on :)

I'm looking at the renowned Havi's as a minor upgrade from my T1-E. I don't have an amp for my source, a Galaxy Note 3, but I sorta have something else.. It's a sound mod called Viper4Android, and if you don't already know, it's got a ton of stuff to alter the sound coming out of a phone. One of its features lets me ramp up the gain.. I can't calculate the exact db it's increasing by, but it's enough to make the lowest volume setting sound like ~75% of the full volume on my T1-E. There is a noticeable increase in the amount of background hiss, but I'm not sure if even having an amp would remove the hiss anyways. Would this be enough to justify buying the Havi's?

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #11,329 of 35,472
  Yea.. after looking at some reviews and at Wirecutter's reasoning, I've come to the conclusion that there are probably better IEMs to spend time and money on :)

I'm looking at the renowned Havi's as a minor upgrade from my T1-E. I don't have an amp for my source, a Galaxy Note 3, but I sorta have something else.. It's a sound mod called Viper4Android, and if you don't already know, it's got a ton of stuff to alter the sound coming out of a phone. One of its features lets me ramp up the gain.. I can't calculate the exact db it's increasing by, but it's enough to make the lowest volume setting sound like ~75% of the full volume. There is a noticeable increase in the amount of background hiss, but I'm not sure if even having an amp would remove the hiss anyways. Would this be enough to justify buying the Havi's?

I wouldn't get the Havis at this time. Their price will probably plummet once the B6 releases. Even if it doesn't, it's slew of reported technical woes makes them a risky purchase. You're better off spending another $20 and getting the ATH-IM70.

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #11,330 of 35,472

I'm looking at the renowned Havi's as a minor upgrade from my T1-E. I don't have an amp for my source, a Galaxy Note 3, but I sorta have something else.. It's a sound mod called Viper4Android, and if you don't already know, it's got a ton of stuff to alter the sound coming out of a phone. One of its features lets me ramp up the gain.. I can't calculate the exact db it's increasing by, but it's enough to make the lowest volume setting sound like ~75% of the full volume on my T1-E. There is a noticeable increase in the amount of background hiss, but I'm not sure if even having an amp would remove the hiss anyways. Would this be enough to justify buying the Havi's?

I'll probably get my IM70 tomorrow or the other day. If you have time I can compare my friend's Havi to IM70.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #11,331 of 35,472
I'll probably get my IM70 tomorrow or the other day. If you have time I can compare my friend's Havi to IM70.

I wouldn't get the Havis at this time. Their price will probably plummet once the B6 releases. Even if it doesn't, it's slew of reported technical woes makes them a risky purchase. You're better off spending another $20 and getting the ATH-IM70.

The IM70 does look pretty good, but is wearing them cable-down a possibility?

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #11,334 of 35,472
  Nope. As you up the tier of headphones and more and more of them will be over-ear anyway, better to just start getting used to em. They're actually quite comfortable. Took me all but 5 minutes to get the technique down pat. 

And if you get lunashops silver-plated replacement cable (either audio only or with in-line controls), you don't even have to worry about memory wire, and as a bonus you get sound improvement and even an additional functionality.

My reviews of these cables: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=55179453&postcount=9 and http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54336482&postcount=2

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #11,336 of 35,472
I've never owned an AKG headphone before, and now Massdrop has a custom edition 7XX available for $199.

Anyone try the previous 701's? Massdrop's tuned version is supposedly different. Yes, Massdrop is allowed to be mentioned in this case.

Should I bite? Can these be made into a balanced set? I'm looking for a balanced headphone to go with my GPX for under $350.

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #11,337 of 35,472
  I've never owned an AKG headphone before, and now Massdrop has a custom edition 7XX available for $199.

Anyone try the previous 701's? Massdrop's tuned version is supposedly different. Yes, Massdrop is allowed to be mentioned in this case.

Should I bite? Can these be made into a balanced set? I'm looking for a balanced headphone to go with my GPX for under $350.

Apparently they are similar to the K702 Anniversary Editions. I think that they will be pretty balanced. With some, but not a lot, of bass. Possibly not the best for electronic music with electronic bass (which I listen to a lot). That's the only thing holding me back. But still tempted. Massdrop massdrop massdrop massdrop... ahh, feels good to be able to type that lol!

Edit: here's an interesting review of the K702 AE's (fixed the link):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-46HOcA1L0w

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #11,338 of 35,472

Apparently they are similar to the K702 Anniversary Editions. I think that they will be pretty balanced. With some, but not a lot, of bass. Possibly not the best for electronic music with electronic bass (which I listen to a lot). That's the only thing holding me back. But still tempted. Massdrop massdrop massdrop massdrop... ahh, feels good to be able to type that lol!

Edit: here's an interesting review of the K702 AE's (fixed the link):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-46HOcA1L0w

Massdrop states that:

"Using the same dynamic driver technology as the K702 65th Anniversary Edition, the open back headphones have been tweaked to deliver an extended frequency response and a wide, locationally specific soundstage that puts you closer to the source than most cans. The highs were boosted by an innovative flat-wire voice coil, the mids were brought up to better balance the range, and the lows were jacked up by 3 dB for fully immersive sound imaging."

Seems like a "in-your-face" K702 AE. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #11,339 of 35,472

I wouldn't get the Havi like Dinerenblanc said. They might be bass-light for you I think. I don't like them near as much as the TTPOD plus you almost have to wear them cable up unlike T1-E. And then you NEED an amp imho(Topping NX1 is cheap and good), there is tip rolling struggles, and possible comfort issues(for me). So B3+NX1=~$100 You could probably buy another earphone to replace the T1-E if you are getting hiss...

Or you could just buy something like the FiiO X1 if you have an extra micro sd on hand and keep enjoying your T1-E if you do like it's SQ and fit. That's what I'd recommend man. I just got my X1 not too long ago, and it's great. Shouldn't be any hiss either.
:beerchug: Cheers!

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #11,340 of 35,472
I wouldn't get the Havi like Dinerenblanc said. They might be bass-light for you I think. I don't like them near as much as the TTPOD plus you almost have to wear them cable up unlike T1-E. And then you NEED an amp imho(Topping NX1 is cheap and good), there is tip rolling struggles, and possible comfort issues(for me). So B3+NX1=~$100 You could probably buy another earphone to replace the T1-E if you are getting hiss...

Or you could just buy something like the FiiO X1 if you have an extra micro sd on hand and keep enjoying your T1-E if you do like it's SQ and fit. That's what I'd recommend man. I just got my X1 not too long ago, and it's great. Shouldn't be any hiss either.
beerchug.gif
Cheers!

If you try listening Havis with sony tips, its bass level becomes almost bone shaking, if someone else told me that so, I was going to say impossible.. it changes a lot by tip rolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back