Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #8,734 of 35,472
Oct 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #8,735 of 35,472

FrankenBeevos :wink:

Beevo driver in some random Ko-Star momentum lookalike housing with HM5 memory foam pads and V-moda cable.

Oct 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #8,737 of 35,472
Oct 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #8,739 of 35,472
Nice ...cheers

With new housing ...sound improved ....?

Thanks, sound improved a lot with bigger volume on the housing and added damping. The drivers on the Beevos are seriously good but there's almost no room in the stock cups so they don't perform their best there. I also don't care for on-ears so I wanted to make them over ear instead. I've got the stock pads underneath the HM5 pads and they sound very nice with those as well if one like on-ears.

I really need to try to fix my Pro80's so that I can compare with them but I think that the FrankenBeevos will give them a run for their money. And they're seriously comfortable as well.

Funniest part is that the Ko-Stars was aloms twice the price of the Beevos :wink: They sounded like crap btw, through the drivers away.

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #8,740 of 35,472
  This is my stash of things bought in just the last three months.

Neeeeeeeeed to stop....

Oh man can't stop looking at that
eek.gif

By the way is that an ATH IM50 I spot there beside the VSONIC VSD3S? I would love to hear your thoughts on the differences. I myself am contemplating between the IM50s and VSD3. If they are different enough I might get both at some point. Otherwise I want to avoid getting two similar sounding IEMs. TIA

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #8,741 of 35,472
That is what i´m talking about.
Balance Armature Earphone cheaper.

Produce balanced armature speaker
http://joan0769.en.hisupplier.com/product-category-212025-speaker.html

It seems Tenore :)

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Top-Quality-Kinera-Patented-Metal-Balance_60006945817.html

Oct 4, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #8,742 of 35,472

Oh man can't stop looking at that
eek.gif

By the way is that an ATH IM50 I spot there beside the VSONIC VSD3S? I would love to hear your thoughts on the differences. I myself am contemplating between the IM50s and VSD3. If they are different enough I might get both at some point. Otherwise I want to avoid getting two similar sounding IEMs. TIA

Yes it is indeed an ATH IM50. Though I find the VDS3S to be more comfortable to wear, the build quality of the IM50 is much better along with the noise isolation. Before talking about the sound, I first need to say that I am using the default black eartips that came with them. My source is a FIIO X3 with an E11 connected through its LO. The IM50 is much more sensitive and gets louder than the VSD3S at the same volume level.

To my ears the IM50 has a better bass with more of a punch and also more more balanced. Listening to paradise city by GunsNRoses, the drums seemed much more present using the IM50 while it seemed more holographic with a wider soundstage when using the VSD3S. On some other songs like Blackbird by Dido or Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, the bass on the IM50 seems much more controlled and well done while the VSD3S bass sounded a little harsh and excessive to my ears. Then again I am more of a treble head so your impressions might be different.
The mids are a little recessed on both of them but I think its more so on the VSD3S. The VSD3S seems to have a more V-shaped sound compared to the IM50.
The treble is very different on these two IEMs. The treble extension is really good on both of them but the sheer amount of treble present in the VSD3S is huge. It can be borderline sibilant at times as well especially at higher listening volume. This extra treble also makes the VSD3S seem much more detailed and airy. The IM50 in comparison has a much more rolled off treble without a hint of sibilance even on tracks like Chasing Pavements by Adele. As I said I am kind of a treble head and hence for me the VSD3S definitely has a better treble even if that means I have to listen at a lower volume to avoid any sibilance.
Overall the IM50 sound more balanced but I wish it had a little more treble. The VSD3S sounds warmer but much more airy. I am not a good judge of soundstage but to my ears the VSD3S seems to have a wider soundstage while the IM50 is more inside the head.

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #8,743 of 35,472

Yes it is indeed an ATH IM50. Though I find the VDS3S to be more comfortable to wear, the build quality of the IM50 is much better along with the noise isolation. Before talking about the sound, I first need to say that I am using the default black eartips that came with them. My source is a FIIO X3 with an E11 connected through its LO. The IM50 is much more sensitive and gets louder than the VSD3S at the same volume level.

To my ears the IM50 has a better bass with more of a punch and also more more balanced. Listening to paradise city by GunsNRoses, the drums seemed much more present using the IM50 while it seemed more holographic with a wider soundstage when using the VSD3S. On some other songs like Blackbird by Dido or Dreams by Fleetwood Mac, the bass on the IM50 seems much more controlled and well done while the VSD3S bass sounded a little harsh and excessive to my ears. Then again I am more of a treble head so your impressions might be different.
The mids are a little recessed on both of them but I think its more so on the VSD3S. The VSD3S seems to have a more V-shaped sound compared to the IM50.
The treble is very different on these two IEMs. The treble extension is really good on both of them but the sheer amount of treble present in the VSD3S is huge. It can be borderline sibilant at times as well especially at higher listening volume. This extra treble also makes the VSD3S seem much more detailed and airy. The IM50 in comparison has a much more rolled off treble without a hint of sibilance even on tracks like Chasing Pavements by Adele. As I said I am kind of a treble head and hence for me the VSD3S definitely has a better treble even if that means I have to listen at a lower volume to avoid any sibilance.
Overall the IM50 sound more balanced but I wish it had a little more treble. The VSD3S sounds warmer but much more airy. I am not a good judge of soundstage but to my ears the VSD3S seems to have a wider soundstage while the IM50 is more inside the head.

Wow thanks for such a detailed response, I appreciate it a lot :)  Its things like this that make me really like this community.

Hmm it seems one is not necessarily better than the other, but different? That's the takeaway message I am getting. They both seem to have their high and low points. From what I hear the VSD3 has less treble than the 3S and more bass heavy. I am not a big fan of bright headphones and would much rather have a warmer signature. Thanks again :)

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #8,744 of 35,472

Wow thanks for such a detailed response, I appreciate it a lot :)  Its things like this that make me really like this community.

Hmm it seems one is not necessarily better than the other, but different? That's the takeaway message I am getting. They both seem to have their high and low points. From what I hear the VSD3 has less treble than the 3S and more bass heavy. I am not a big fan of bright headphones and would much rather have a warmer signature. Thanks again :)

They are different for sure.. My problem with the 3S is not only the bright treble but sometimes the bass can get pretty out of control as well. I have no heard the VSD3 but have heard that it has more bass. Now if that means tighter bass, I am all for it but I definitely don't want more bass quantity. Actually I think I have found an almost ideal IEM for my taste and it is the Altone 200. If only the altones had a little more mid frequency and were a little warmer with the same level of details and the punchy bass, it would probably be the end game for universal IEMs for me.

Oct 5, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #8,745 of 35,472
pat1984: Maybe I need to check the Sound Glossary, but I'm having a hard time with that description of the VSD3S. I also own them (and VSD3) and completely agree with describing them as warm, however I've never thought of them as airy due to their warmth and fullness (which I'd describe as the opposite of airy).

You don't find Altone treble too bright but find the VSD3S too bright? We must certainly be sensitive to different frequencies. I also own Altone and like the brightness but personally find them brighter than VSD3(S).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back