Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #1,381 of 35,472
  Glad you like the combination. IMO, they're the best tips for them.

beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,385 of 35,472
Some of the best cost effective over ears I've tried all come from Sonic and Takstar.

Somic has a new Studio headphone for ~$50 called the MM185 which should be awesome. Mine is on the way.

The Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000 in the US) is another headphone with the bass and treble you like at $54 that sounds like a $200 headphone.

How do the noontec zoro compare to the Somic Takstar Tascams? I've seen sales where they could be gotten for ~$55 or so. I'm looking for something street price under $60 that would be an upgrade from ksc75 and that would work with glasses (comfort wise and seal wise).

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,386 of 35,472
  ... I'm a basshead.

The KC06 would be killer if it was less bright and had more bass. I'm not sure I would spend $60 on another single dynamic though, unless it was at the Fostex TE-05 level.

Perhaps the "A" revision does that. I actually think you could easily modify your KC06 to be less bright, and in turn allow the bass to be felt more, by adding additional filter material in front of the nozzle. Perhaps extra filters from HiFiMAN earphones could do the trick.

It's absolutely not necessary to mod the KC06, as they're among the best balanced dynamic driver based IEMs I've ever come across. I use them with UE TF10 tips and they sound way better than their price tag would suggest.

Their bass has very good texture and presence down to 30Hz, after which it rolls off, but can still be felt at 20Hz. It's only a tad slower than the fastest dynamic drivers I've heard, but that gives their soundstage nice depth. I tried to put some foamies underneath the silicon tips to increase isolation (which is only average) and that even turns them into slightly bassy phones.

Treble is pretty good too imo, not the most refined I've heard (hey, we're talking about a $60 phone!), but extremely detailed while at the same time neither sharp nor sibilant. Overall the KC06 are definitely killer in my book and I'd highly recommend them to anyone who's looking for a neutral / balanced pair of IEMs that sounds more dynamic / fun with better soundstage than Etymotics' or HiFiMAN's offerings.

OSTRY KC06 quick impressions: somewhere in between a more analytical GR07 and a less damped / more dynamic RE0.

Best sound I've heard for $60 in a long time.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #1,387 of 35,472

How do the noontec zoro compare to the Somic Takstar Tascams? I've seen sales where they could be gotten for ~$55 or so. I'm looking for something street price under $60 that would be an upgrade from ksc75 and that would work with glasses (comfort wise and seal wise).

The Noontecs are awesome. The Hammo is a little too much bass driven, but the Zoro HD is excellent.

It's absolutely not necessary to mod the KC06, as they're among the best balanced dynamic driver based IEMs I've ever come across. I use them with UE TF10 tips and they sound way better than their price tag would suggest.

Their bass has very good texture and presence down to 30Hz, after which it rolls off, but can still be felt at 20Hz. It's only a tad slower than the fastest dynamic drivers I've heard, but that gives their soundstage nice depth. I tried to put some foamies underneath the silicon tips to increase isolation (which is only average) and that even turns them into slightly bassy phones.

Treble is pretty good too imo, not the most refined I've heard (hey, we're talking about a $60 phone!), but extremely detailed while at the same time neither sharp nor sibilant. Overall the KC06 are definitely killer in my book and I'd highly recommend them to anyone who's looking for a neutral / balanced pair of IEMs that sounds more dynamic / fun with better soundstage than Etymotics' or HiFiMAN's offerings.

You can't be neutral and "fun" at the same time, with fun meaning an enhancement somewhere.

The bass just does not have enough texture for me, and it rolls off too quickly for a dynamic. I also have an aversion to titanium driver sound (even with large titanium compression drivers in speakers), which make them seem very sharp and sibilant to me. That is my personal aversion though, and may not be how other ears hear it. My own DIY speakers have polyimide compression drivers, which sound much smoother over their titanium counterparts.

I would love to see more Ostry products though. The clarity on the KC06 is exceptional.

Feb 18, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,389 of 35,472
  You can't be neutral and "fun" at the same time, with fun meaning an enhancement somewhere.

You can be "neutral" in frequency response and "fun" in the time domain. 
wink.gif

On a more serious note, some dynamic driver based IEMs with neutral frequency response sound overdamped and not at all lifelike to my ears. The Ety MC3/5 sound virtually lifeless and devoid of all musicality for that reason. Most HiFiMAN IEMs I've heard sound slightly better in that regard, but still massively damped. What I mean to say is that the KC06 offer more natural decay and lifelike dynamics, while still retaining a reasonably neutral / balanced sound signature.

I've heard and owned a myriad of IEMs of all price brackets and all of them have been compromises in some way. The KC06 are no different, but they're a pretty good compromise in my book.

Oh, and thanks for calling my attention to these in the first place. I thought, if a basshead finds them bright and anemic, they'd be right up my alley. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 18, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #1,393 of 35,472
My Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 from ibuygou ( real deal, not fakes - thanks to Biohazard for posting the side by side comparative photos of the real deal vs fake)  just arrived.

Impressions from out of the box to approx one hour of use in the Xiaomi thread.

Feb 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #1,394 of 35,472
Mh415....im thinking of ordering the mm185 from the same seller.
Just delivered and they are at home, and im stuck at work, gonna be working late. Figures.

So I just got home, and can't believe how good these sound! Bass could be a lil stronger, but overall these sound incredible. Smooth as silk. Now I'm thinking I should order the full size somic mm185. Just wish there was someone out there with impressions.

Feb 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #1,395 of 35,472
So I just got home, and can't believe how good these sound! Bass could be a lil stronger, but overall these sound incredible. Smooth as silk. Now I'm thinking I should order the full size somic mm185. Just wish there was someone out there with impressions.

The MH415 has tons of bass. Try different size tips or really shoving them deep in your ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back