Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,171 of 35,472
  Just received my XIAOMI Piston headphones and I have to say: AMAZING.

These pick up frequencies that I don't think the Sennheiser PMX 80's can that's for sure. Although I liked the sound initially of the PMX80's, I realised it's because I've gotten used to the headset, when I heard details in the music I hadn't heard before that all my other earbuds I have couldn't, I realised the beauty of these incredible bargain gems.  I also noticed that after a couple of plays the bass started to have more depth again.

I think these are a set that will require a bit of breaking in, but even from the get go, I was seriously blown away with the quality of these.  I kept saying to myself "What truck did these fall off of?  There worth WAY more than $9".

Honestly fellow Head-fiers, these are superb.  I would recommend these Xiaomi's over the CoGoo's by far, much more depth and definite frequency range provide a clarity that even the Sennheiser PMX 80's have trouble matching.  There right up there with the Superlux HD681's in my view and that's saying something for a pair of ear bud earphones.  Give them a whirl, I'm certain you will not be disappointed.

I just can't believe how good these are.  HOW????

$9? From where?

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,172 of 35,472
After reading about ibuygou and some of the less-than-successful purchases I'm getting a bit worried.

I ordered my pistons from this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Design-Xiaomi-Piston-Earphones-Gold-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-SG-POST-/181294614168

Haven't received it yet.. ordered on Jan 14.  Estimated delivery is sometime this week or next.  Looking forward to them though, my go-to iems have been the Gratitudes which I have really been enjoying. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #1,174 of 35,472
  After reading about ibuygou and some of the less-than-successful purchases I'm getting a bit worried.

I ordered my pistons from this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Design-Xiaomi-Piston-Earphones-Gold-Headset-3-buttons-wire-control-SG-POST-/181294614168

Haven't received it yet.. ordered on Jan 14.  Estimated delivery is sometime this week or next.  Looking forward to them though, my go-to iems have been the Gratitudes which I have really been enjoying. 

Received my Pistons today from the same seller as you, and from what I can tell they are genuine and sound great. I am pleased even though I paid premium. I really wanted a genuine pair on first go, since my MEElec M6's are broken.

Bass is very fun, and since I am not too big of a fan of very neutral sounding IEM's or headphones I enjoy this.

For reference my favourite pair of full size headphones are Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, and these are about as fun to me, in a mini sized package.

I wonder what kind of aftermarket tips would fit these though, someone mentioned comply tips earlier, are they a good fit?

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,175 of 35,472
Anything in size T400. Tips from Meelectronic are very nice and cheap.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #1,176 of 35,472
Many thanks Keit for the info and reassurance!  May I ask how long did it take from the time you ordered to the time you received?  I'm in Canada, I wonder if that makes a difference.

I have a number of tips to try them with.  Gratitudes came with about 10 different pairs, VSD1's also came with 5-6 pairs.  I've heard the stock tips are really cheap.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #1,177 of 35,472

The Pistons get better with time, the first time I plugged them in they sounded really washed away and thin, lacking in every department. 

Try them with different tips. This sounds like a fit/seal issue. The Pistons v2 are actually a pretty warm earphone, with glorious amounts of bass. I only discovered this after I threw away the stock tips and started experimenting with tips from my stash. I now use these and the large bore works perfectly with great treble detail and full bass. These tips are very stiff and rigid compared to the stock tips, assuring a great seal. Only problem is, I have no idea where I got these from so I can only tell you to look out for similar ones...

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,178 of 35,472
  Many thanks Keit for the info and reassurance!  May I ask how long did it take from the time you ordered to the time you received?  I'm in Canada, I wonder if that makes a difference.

I have a number of tips to try them with.  Gratitudes came with about 10 different pairs, VSD1's also came with 5-6 pairs.  I've heard the stock tips are really cheap.

They shipped out from singapore last monday and arrived in my country yesterday and arrived to my home today.

If you check your email he sends out a tracking number when the order ships, which you can use on www.singpost.com to check status, and when it arrives in your country your local postal service should also detect the tracking number and confirm the arrival (at least it showed this to me when I entered the tracking number on our national postal service homepage)

Not sure when you ordered though, since I noticed it said he was away at the end of last week, probably due to the chinese new year, so that might've been a reason for the delay if you ordered recently.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,179 of 35,472

I really liked the Gratitudes, and I feel the Pistons give a similar sound, with even better treble. You may like the Pistons more. (give them 60 hours)

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,180 of 35,472
I got my Havi B3 a couple of days ago and it definitely wasn't a pro version. I decided to open them up, was hoping that they had the same drivers as pros and removing some filters or something would turn them into a pro version :). I'm no audio engineer but with multiple drivers one would expect some sort of crossover or filter circuit or something. Instead drivers were just wired in parallel but there was also a 5,5 ohm resistor connected in series with the whole thing. I desoldered the resistor and it opened the sound, widened the soundstage quite a lot. I also removed foam filters from one set of drivers and it gave me more treble and less bass and bloat. Still not amazing sounding but to my ears much better than before. 

Pretty convinced these use different drivers than the pros, but it would be nice if someone with the pro version could open them up and report what's inside. Regardless, I’ going to read up a little on multiple driver application.

You can open them up and put them back together with zero problem. The housing is screwed with two screws (pretty small ones), one behind the glass (which is held only by adhesive tape) and the other behind the little rubber cover (also easily removable). Foam filters are behind drivers further from the nozzle.

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,181 of 35,472
  I got my Havi B3 a couple of days ago and it definitely wasn't a pro version. I decided to open them up, was hoping that they had the same drivers as pros and removing some filters or something would turn them into a pro version :). I'm no audio engineer but with multiple drivers one would expect some sort of crossover or filter circuit or something. Instead drivers were just wired in parallel but there was also a 5,5 ohm resistor connected in series with the whole thing. I desoldered the resistor and it opened the sound, widened the soundstage quite a lot. I also removed foam filters from one set of drivers and it gave me more treble and less bass and bloat. Still not amazing sounding but to my ears much better than before. 

Pretty convinced these use different drivers than the pros, but it would be nice if someone with the pro version could open them up and report what's inside. Regardless, I’ going to read up a little on multiple driver application.

You can open them up and put them back together with zero problem. The housing is screwed with two screws (pretty small ones), one behind the glass (which is held only by adhesive tape) and the other behind the little rubber cover (also easily removable). Foam filters are behind drivers further from the nozzle.

If they were the same drivers but used a different resistor in the pro version, that would mean anyone could make whatever version they have into the pro version. Wishful thinking, but that would be AWESOME if that was the case. It might be a very good possibility, since no crossover is in use.

When I get some time, I'll give it a try and take pics. Will the resistor be labeled, or can you determine its value just by pics if I take one?

Feb 4, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,182 of 35,472

Good initiative!

I'm gonna try this as well.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,183 of 35,472
  If they were the same drivers but used a different resistor in the pro version, that would mean anyone could make whatever version they have into the pro version. Wishful thinking, but that would be AWESOME if that was the case. It might be a very good possibility, since no crossover is in use.

When I get some time, I'll give it a try and take pics. Will the resistor be labeled, or can you determine its value just by pics if I take one?

I doubt just one resistor would change the whole thing into pros, but as I said I'm no professional. Still some investigation into pros internals wouldn't hurt, would be awesome if you could do that. Resistors are color coded so you can visually determine the resistance. But to be clear even with my modification enhanced version won't blow anybody's mind, but will be less terrible :)

I guess there's a possibility they used a more sophisticated circuit (than a single resistor) in the pros and it really changes the sound, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #1,184 of 35,472
Keit: It appears you have had better luck with the shipping than I have had thus far. I ordered mine on the Jan 14.  The tracking said it left Singapore on Jan 18 and I don't have any updates after that. 

bhazard: That's interesting, some have said Pistons were similar to Gratitudes but with more bass, and now you're saying there's more treble!  Hopefully everyone is right!  :)

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #1,185 of 35,472
  Keit: It appears you have had better luck with the shipping than I have had thus far. I ordered mine on the Jan 14.  The tracking said it left Singapore on Jan 18 and I don't have any updates after that. 

bhazard: That's interesting, some have said Pistons were similar to Gratitudes but with more bass, and now you're saying there's more treble!  Hopefully everyone is right!  :)

Smoother treble. The Gratitudes had some slight harshness in a certain region that I forget about. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back