Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #13,366 of 35,472
Ordered S-018 trough a friend in USA,incoming in 1 month,aswel as K1...it's a real cheapie!

As I stumbled on Huawei Honor in EU warehouse for 15$ Paypal payable...i decided to give them a run to shorten the waiting from a Yankeeland. 

Let the games begin.

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #13,367 of 35,472
Please stop it. You know I'm going to have to buy one now. And then will have to have listening test to compare to my T1, GR07,  KZ EDSE ED8 (in transit), DT3, KZ R1 (in transit), etc etc...
This is becoming a black hole for time :tongue_smile: !

I've already done several hours of A/B with the GR07, and as I've said before, though technically better from a depth, layering, and resolution aspect, falls short in bass response and the mids are sibilance FREE! This is something you don't get with the GR07. When you look at the treble being just as extended, and just as airy, then I think all things being equal, I reach for the S-018 before the GR07, which makes me want to try the XE800 even more!

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #13,368 of 35,472

The mods began. I thrilled the vent bigger for more air and impact. Using 1/16" bit. I don't know if I imagined the changes. I will compare it tomorrow against a brand new S-018.

Changes as.

Smoother low end, more extensions with bass.
Some highs is a bit vieled, very little bit.

Do this only if you want fuller impact and bass body, more airiness. The punch will viel up some higher highs details. Still presents. This will be noticeable with faster moving base and electric punches. But I love the more organic sounding. Worth it!!!!

I think I am in the sweetest spot for music now....:joy: more details than my IM70, some organics sounding achieved

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #13,369 of 35,472
Ordered S-018 trough a friend in USA,incoming in 1 month,aswel as K1...it's a real cheapie!

As I stumbled on Huawei Honor in EU warehouse for 15$ Paypal payable...i decided to give them a run to shorten the waiting from a Yankeeland. 

Let the games begin.

I hooked up RedJohn456 this way. With prices on Amazon ca and other places going for $25-40, he paid me $20.00, and I got him the hook up to Canada. $20.00 for the S-018, by the opinion of quite a few members, is money well spent. I think more should help out our fellow headfi'ers IF you can keep the shipping + purchase cost about the $20-22 mark?

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #13,370 of 35,472
I hooked up RedJohn456 this way. With prices on Amazon ca and other places going for $25-40, he paid me $20.00, and I got him the hook up to Canada. $20.00 for the S-018, by the opinion of quite a few members, is money well spent. I think more should help out our fellow headfi'ers IF you can keep the shipping + purchase cost about the $20-22 mark?

I live in ****hole of EU(Croatia) and i have friend that goes to NY from time to time,it's not really a reliable source of shipping to here :) But if I can help someone,I'll be glad...

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #13,371 of 35,472
So it says on the order page for the VSD5 that they are tuned like the EX1000. So does this mean this is VSonics excuse for employing their "awesome" house sibilance? From reviews of the EX1000, it apparently has some peakiness and sibilance tendencies? LOL just messin'.

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #13,372 of 35,472
Lol my wife is really annoyed as of why I keep buying headphones.....lolol.

At least IEM's not as conspicuous as full sized headphones 
o2smile.gif
!  My S-018 will arrive Monday the 12th. Amazon is pretty great sometimes. My EDSE took a full five weeks.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #13,373 of 35,472
*update* S-018. After 120 hours of burning in. The pair sound with more extensions and less analytical. MY pair has the vents drilled out bigger. It definitely has even more extensions, the bass and low body seem very smooth and with even more extensions. The mid is still very clear, and the high is smoother. I have just compared this to my brand new one.

Vent mod and burn in totally have brought this pair to another level. Probably competing to those of couple hundreds now if not better. It has left my IM70 in the drawer for a week now, and I don't even seem to miss it. Despite IM70 is already super sweet by itself, but I was craving for more mid. Luckily I have came to the discovery of the S-018. Thank you to (HouseOfDoom). I have to say after the vent mod and burn in. It has everything i have asked for.

High: smooth, no sibilance, detailed
Low: Fast bass, with extensions, impact, punch, detailed, quality.
Vocal: Clear, stand out vocal, detailed. Vocal is as detailed as I could hear the whispering breathes, if singer intended to do so. Never heard this before in my IM70.
Mid: Sexy, detailed, clear, smooth
Full body sound, extensions, organic or realistic

I can not say enough about it. The details and things are so clear and quality of which allow me to follow from where it start and ends unto whichever notes, instruments, effect I want to follow....crazy for a pair of 12$....oh and I only use it with my Sony Z3 as a source...no amp.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #13,375 of 35,472

Dug out my XBA-H3's last night just to take a break from all of the cheaper China IEM's I've been listening to the last few months.
Wow, they leave most of my other IEM's in the dust, so much fuller, richer and huge soundstage. Makes the others like soundsoul sound sort of hollow sounding . I do agree there is a huge difference in price, but the sound stage/signature changes exponentially also. 

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #13,376 of 35,472
*update* S-018. After 120 hours of burning in. The pair sound with more extensions and less analytical. MY pair has the vents drilled out bigger. It definitely has even more extensions, the bass and low body seem very smooth and with even more extensions. The mid is still very clear, and the high is smoother. I have just compared this to my brand new one.

Vent mod and burn in totally have brought this pair to another level. Probably competing to those of couple hundreds now if not better. It has left my IM70 in the drawer for a week now, and I don't even seem to miss it. Despite IM70 is already super sweet by itself, but I was craving for more mid. Luckily I have came to the

discovery of the S-018. Thank you to (HouseOfDoom). I have to say after the vent mod and burn in. It has everything i have asked for.

High: smooth, no sibilance, detailed
Low: Fast bass, with extensions, impact, punch, detailed, quality.
Vocal: Clear, stand out vocal, detailed. Vocal is as detailed as I could hear the whispering breathes, if singer intended to do so. Never heard this before in my IM70.
Mid: Sexy, detailed, clear, smooth
Full body sound, extensions, organic or realistic

I can not say enough about it. The details and things are so clear and quality of which allow me to follow from where it start and ends unto whichever notes, instruments, effect I want to follow....crazy for a pair of 12$....oh and I only use it with my Sony Z3 as a source...no amp.

Well since the weakness of the S-018 is lack of airiness, imaging, and some extension, and you say this mod fixed that and added these missing details, I'm going to follow suit and make the mod happen for mine too. Thanks for being the trooper and executing the experiment. I'll be next up with this, and report my own changes in ss. Oh and you're welcome. It's been a pleasure.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #13,377 of 35,472
Well since the weakness of the S-018 is lack of airiness, imaging, and some extension, and you say this mod fixed that and added these missing details, I'm going to follow suit and make the mod happen for mine too. Thanks for being the trooper and executing the experiment. I'll be next up with this, and report my own changes in ss. Oh and you're welcome. It's been a pleasure.

You are very welcome. It was a bit confusing between the modded and the stock one, because of the same sound signature. The biggest different would be the metallic sounding (stock) vs the more natural and smooth (moded) please report back after you do the mod.

Also, the idea to open up the vent port was inspired by you. I am no audiophiles, just an enthusiast, i couldn't come close to describe the technicalities of the headphones. You gave me the idea of what exactly lacking, air, and smoothness. Since I Googled around, it turned out I could bore the vent out more.

Jan 10, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #13,378 of 35,472
What size hole did you make the vents??    ♫

Used drill bit of 1/16 inches. I did it very slow to make sure the debris don't get stuck inside. I had a better idea to drill it after the confirmation of the sound changes. Turn it upside-down do it slow, and use some thing to suck out the debris. Or just simply do it slow.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #13,380 of 35,472
  Assume that I'm some kind of bass head... LoL  I would say that bass of VJJB K1 is not enough for listening to hip hop/dance music. No feeling at all.  On the other hands, It's very excite and fun listening to hip hop/dance music using KZ-ED8. 

I think many will disagree with you my friend. The K1 will be too bassy for some people on here, and the ED8 might be way too bassy as well. Yes the ED8 might have a little more bass than the k1, but still, the K1 is a bass forward IEM. You either don't have a good seal, or you are a total basshead, no offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back