Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #10,111 of 35,472
There should be a black version of RE-300s. This photo is taken from cnet.com.

Black version not being sold yet, though that there is some sexy black. I wish mine were black, by my white pair look great and fit great also.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #10,112 of 35,472
I am extremely impressed with this sony smart headset pro. I get virtually no difference in sound quality. While of course, because we are adding more devices it's not going to sound identical, the sound is really impressive, especially with the e6 attached.

The e6 has four eq presets and volume control. It essentially is my go to volume and eq with this set up. The headset pro plays, pauses, skips tracks, displays the song and artist, answers calls, and displays texts and emails. Battery life is approximately 8 hours of continuous use on both devices. The Sony headset pro also comes with a mh1 set of iems (with a shortened cable). I plan on recalling them some day. As long as I have power in these gadgets, I don't need to pull my phone out of my pocket unless I need to text someone (or go on head fi lol)

I get ZERO EMI with this set up, minimal floor noise, plenty of extension on both ends, and with my LG G3 it works pretty flawlessly. I could have anyone on here listen to my current set up with these and I bet no one would be able to tell it's wireless. A bonus to this headset is that it has a micro SD slot to save music on as well (it operates as a basic mp3 player), and you can have two bluetooth devices hooked up to it at the same time.

Hmm, hopefully we are talking about the same thing, Sony MW1 headset (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Headset-Black-Version-Retail/dp/B00ANUPRFU/), right?  There are multiple listings in amazon, with prices ranging up to $300 from Japan, while the one fulfilled by amazon is under $80, where Lite version doesn't include micro sd card and a reader.  What I was curious, if you plug in a set of your headphones to G3 and then plug in the same set of headphones to MW1 paired up to your phone and compare the sound quality (don't use E6 amp since it cleans up the sound a bit).  I was curious to review MW1 in the past (it's actually 2+ year old model), but a number of people on xda told me it was a nightmare with firmware updates, old bluetooth 2.0, obviously no aptX codec support, and sound between the same set of headphones wired versus connected wireless was compressed with some lack of bass and upper frequency clarity extension.  I tested in the past Antec wireless bt receiver, similar functionality to turn any headset wireless, and also found sound quality to degrade significantly.  The Don Scorpio DP-H1 I just reviewed (http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/review-don-scorpio-dp-h1-smart-bt-t2922800) had very impressive sound with a bit of lack in sub-bass, but it doesn't have smart oled functionality of MW1 or built in microSD slot.

What you describing sounds very optimistic, but I'm wondering which exact model do you have and if you can try it without E6 for sound comparison wired and wireless?

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #10,113 of 35,472
Black version not being sold yet, though that there is some sexy black. I wish mine were black, by my white pair look great and fit great also.

I was just watching Steve Rochlin's official coverage of Canjam 2014. dr. Fang (Hifiman) appears in the video (~11 minutes in).

Anyway, he mentions the new RE-300, and says "...which have three versions. The iphone version, the hifi version and also the android version".
The "hifi" version isn't on head-direct,and I wonder if it is a better sounding version or it's just a mic-less version.

Video below (RE-300 at around 13:05 mark)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbUHUQdxM-A#t=13m05s

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #10,114 of 35,472
Hmm, hopefully we are talking about the same thing, Sony MW1 headset (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Headset-Black-Version-Retail/dp/B00ANUPRFU/), right?  There are multiple listings in amazon, with prices ranging up to $300 from Japan, while the one fulfilled by amazon is under $80, where Lite version doesn't include micro sd card and a reader.  What I was curious, if you plug in a set of your headphones to G3 and then plug in the same set of headphones to MW1 paired up to your phone and compare the sound quality (don't use E6 amp since it cleans up the sound a bit).  I was curious to review MW1 in the past (it's actually 2+ year old model), but a number of people on xda told me it was a nightmare with firmware updates, old bluetooth 2.0, obviously no aptX codec support, and sound between the same set of headphones wired versus connected wireless was compressed with some lack of bass and upper frequency clarity extension.  I tested in the past Antec wireless bt receiver, similar functionality to turn any headset wireless, and also found sound quality to degrade significantly.  The Don Scorpio DP-H1 I just reviewed (http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/accessories/review-don-scorpio-dp-h1-smart-bt-t2922800) had very impressive sound with a bit of lack in sub-bass, but it doesn't have smart oled functionality of MW1 or built in microSD slot.

What you describing sounds very optimistic, but I'm wondering which exact model do you have and if you can try it without E6 for sound comparison wired and wireless?
Just tested it on a few tracks with my KZ DT3 (only iems I have on me) and I don't notice much difference. But, remember that DT3 is a very warm and forgiving iem.

I will say that I experienced degradation with my xperia tl (my last phone before the G3). Sound seemed compressed, and lacked bass extension, and highs seemed a bit muddy. I honestly get none of this with the G3. Maybe it's a better version of bluetooth?

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #10,115 of 35,472
PS, yes the Amazon listing link is the same product I have, and I never bothered venturing into doing a firmware upgrade after hearing the horror stories online. What I was looking for in the mw1 was a Bluetooth headset that sounds good and has controls to play pause and skip tracks. My mw1 does all of this so there's no need to upgrade firmware IMHO

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #10,117 of 35,472
I was just watching Steve Rochlin's official coverage of Canjam 2014. dr. Fang (Hifiman) appears in the video (~11 minutes in).

Anyway, he mentions the new RE-300, and says "...which have three versions. The iphone version, the hifi version and also the android version".
The "hifi" version isn't on head-direct,and I wonder if it is a better sounding version or it's just a mic-less version.

Video below (RE-300 at around 13:05 mark)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbUHUQdxM-A#t=13m05s

I can't imagine HiFiMan selling an inferior product to iPhone and Android users, but if the Hifi version is BETTER than what I'm getting with my RE-300 now, then sign me up for what would be the budget IEM of the year by far!

My guess is that it's merely a micless IEM, but if not..

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #10,118 of 35,472
I can't imagine HiFiMan selling an inferior product to iPhone and Android users, but if the Hifi version is BETTER than what I'm getting with my RE-300 now, then sign me up for what would be the budget IEM of the year by far!

My guess is that it's merely a micless IEM, but if not..

Perhaps "better sounding" wasn't the right term to use. Maybe I should have said "Alternate tuning".
Anyway, I'll shoot HiFiMAN an e-mail to see if there's anything to know.
--------

The RE300 is available on taobao for 249¥/40.7$ (Hifiman store) and 199¥/32.5$ (other stores).
Even better value in china. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #10,119 of 35,472
I am extremely impressed with this sony smart headset pro. I get virtually no difference in sound quality. While of course, because we are adding more devices it's not going to sound identical, the sound is really impressive, especially with the e6 attached.

The e6 has four eq presets and volume control. It essentially is my go to volume and eq with this set up. The headset pro plays, pauses, skips tracks, displays the song and artist, answers calls, and displays texts and emails. Battery life is approximately 8 hours of continuous use on both devices. The Sony headset pro also comes with a mh1 set of iems (with a shortened cable). I plan on recalling them some day. As long as I have power in these gadgets, I don't need to pull my phone out of my pocket unless I need to text someone (or go on head fi lol)

I get ZERO EMI with this set up, minimal floor noise, plenty of extension on both ends, and with my LG G3 it works pretty flawlessly. I could have anyone on here listen to my current set up with these and I bet no one would be able to tell it's wireless. A bonus to this headset is that it has a micro SD slot to save music on as well (it operates as a basic mp3 player), and you can have two bluetooth devices hooked up to it at the same time.

Now I remember how I tested. I copied some mp3s into a microSD card and put it into this Sony Headset Pro then played those mp3s using the built in player of this Sony Headset Pro. After that I played the same mp3s on my laptop and listened to them over Bluetooth with this Sony Headset pro. I noticed the difference this way in terms of loudness and dynamic range but now I realized what I did was not a right comparison because the software player of my laptop is different from the build-in player of this Sony Headset Pro.

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #10,121 of 35,472
Has anyone jammed the awei es900 or es800 series? They consistently get high marks at a price on par or lower than the KZ offerings.

I've got the es800 and although it's great for the price it wasn't able to get in to my "pool" of IEM's that I actually use. It's quite a while since I got them so maybe I should dig them out for a fresh listen...

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #10,122 of 35,472
Has anyone jammed the awei es900 or es800 series? They consistently get high marks at a price on par or lower than the KZ offerings.

I have the es800m. Not sure if it was the ES in the name, the similar colour or them being in a similar price range. But I dug them up and compared them with the KZ ES a bit yesterday. Found them quite similar just as they were without EQ. Maybe someone here has both and could see what they think. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #10,123 of 35,472

That's because those people haven't heard some KZ yet.

I tried many awei and JBM sets in the past. They are good, but not as good as some of the newer KZ models

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #10,124 of 35,472

It`s because @twister6 hyped them 
devil_face.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #10,125 of 35,472

It`s because @twister6 hyped them 
devil_face.gif

In my defense, that was over a year ago and ES900i version
biggrin.gif
  A month after that review on xda I joined head-fi community and wised up
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread