Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #34,771 of 35,472
Ive
I just cancelled my order of **** 4in1s from HCK. Jim has finally admitted that he don't have stock of **** 4in1s plus mid-autumn moon festival is going on in China hence most mail services are disrupted till the festivities gets over (he said post-Monday parcels should have updates). 

BTW, I went ahead and ordered 4in1s with silver cable from AK audio store (here the seller clearly explained in prior that he could ship the product only after coming Monday and he is indeed having stocks of **** 4in1s).

In your case, I think (since you have at least got a tracking number albeit which is showing the same status for the last 2 weeks) the seller could have already shipped it but the status not been updated due to the aforementioned festival. I would suggest you to wait till Monday and see what happens from then.
Reccently just ordered 4in1 from HCK (30th Aug) at the same as your tale of woe. Tracking says they're now clear of export customs and hopefully on their way to me. Or are they....?

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #34,772 of 35,472
Ive
Reccently just ordered 4in1 from HCK (30th Aug) at the same as your tale of woe. Tracking says they're now clear of export customs and hopefully on their way to me. Or are they....?

You shouldn't be worried. Since the tracking number of yours already seems to be working and your package is in all likelihood at its final stage of exiting the host nation. Mine may be a case of an exception, I guess (with stocks running out and the seller not willing to admit it for nearly 2 weeks, wasting my time).

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #34,773 of 35,472
i will receive the jianghai dt86 by this friday
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #34,777 of 35,472

Channel imbalance is my biggest pet peeve in all of headphone audio, without question.  I've had a bad history with it. 

I just got the XE800 last week and haven't paid attention to the bass ports you mentioned.  I did have the same experience of having each side cut out on me unexpectedly as I adjusted the fit.  I'm curious now because I listened to them again tonight and had a better impression than my first go round and I'm wondering if it had something to do with what you mentioned about skin blocking the ports.  I've been wearing them down even though I typically prefer to go over-the-ear. 

I listened to some of Radioheads new album on my UM3X last night and found it a little muffled, but the tuning of the XE800 brought it alive tonight.  I wondered whether it was an issue with the recording initially, but the XE800 showed me it is not.  I've got mixed feelings about the adjustable nozzle, too.  I'm glad you brought up the possibility of the plastic not being properly drilled out because I'm going to look for that tomorrow. 

I also prefer a more musical presentation and am a bit of a bass head, so the XE800 aren't my preferred sound sig, but I like having the different option and felt better about them after a second listen.  I was worried they were too bright for me initially. 

About Channel Imbalance, I have to say, I did get that feeling with more than a few pairs so far. I thought I was over - thinking/analyzing (ppl always say I do :D ) and hushed it up. Any good material explaining about this subject/occurrence? And yea I read your posts few posts above mine and really liked them. Made sense. I think, I even hit follow from your profile. :) Comparison with the UM 3x is exciting to read. The best IEM had till date is HF5 and somehow this reminds me of it a little bit. Perhaps the lack of sub-bass. However, I think I can live with this SS happily if I can tame the treble little bit. I'll post it here if I can find the sweet-spot.

Soundmajic E80 is the only iem which match perfectly with your described sound signature. 

I had a very very positive experience with both PL50 and ES18. Loved them when I used them. Soundmagic tuning is really close to "just works" for me. So, I do have E80 on my radar but this is the last thread where you find much information about SM products. Let's see if I can ever get my hands on E80.

checked the bass ports.. damn, they are really small, had to use good lenses. only found one hole (from 8 total, 2 iems) which seemed different, not properly drilled or blurred.
there is not much consistency between units, treble included besides of bass ports. but they all sound ok. regardless of the lack of sub-bass, they have a fresh signature, different to most iems in their price, so it complements others, and are special. bright is not excessive to reach harshness to my ears (but i'm not particularly sensitive to highs).

decided to try over the ear (my like), after reading you. if you swap sides, fitting is quite different (both ways are possible and comfortable, thanks to rotable nozzles), don't know which method would be better in order to not obtruding the ports, but swapping sides looks cleaner. and agree, finding your sweet spot keeps you entertained for a while.

added silicone tubes to limit movement and so protect the cable near the driver; i hope this, together with the tubes on the jack area, will help to longer lasting.

found best sealing by using large original tips, filled with foam. tested: this way, they don't shorten highs extension nor quantity (which is the flaw of pure foams, imo).

(pics: 1st, normal; 2nd, sides swapped; 3rd,progressive silicone tubes in plug; 4th, foam filled tips)

The 2nd looks and felt perfect for me. Yes, swapping sides was not a natural thought but when It occured, I immediately found it much more comfy and hence enjoyable. And thats tad bit more than what I had in my mind for re-inforcement. But hey, you can never be too careful, can you! Esp. when something is such a VFM posession!

I too have to try stuffing some foam on my tips. Otherwise, I enjoy foams on a pair where treble is too high. I should try these with foam tips.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #34,778 of 35,472

Soundmajic E80 is the only iem which match perfectly with your described sound signature. 

I had a very very positive experience with both PL50 and ES18. Loved them when I used them. Soundmagic tuning is really close to "just works" for me. So, I do have E80 on my radar but this is the last thread where you find much information about SM products. Let's see if I can ever get my hands on E80.

The E80 is also what I thought of when I read your description. Imho the SM and the Brainwavz M3 fit that description with the M3 being a little more neutral than the E80 with a bit less warmth, bass and the less present however still noticeable upper treble peak.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #34,779 of 35,472

The E80 is also what I thought of when I read your description. Imho the SM and the Brainwavz M3 fit that description with the M3 being a little more neutral than the E80 with a bit less warmth, bass and the less present however still noticeable upper treble peak.

You really got me thinking! I just checked the pricing and here in India, it works out to less than 50 USD. (SM, Fiio and few others are better priced here). I wonder why not many talk about it though. I mean as it stands right now, is it still worth the 80$ asking price in US?

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #34,780 of 35,472

You really got me thinking! I just checked the pricing and here in India, it works out to less than 50 USD. (SM, Fiio and few others are better priced here). I wonder why not many talk about it though. I mean as it stands right now, is it still worth the 80$ asking price in US?

Which one? The E80? It's neither under- nor overpriced and a really solid contender in the $100 range. Personally I prefer the M3 a little more, but on the technical side the difference is not large at all (just a slightly better detail retrieval with the Brainwavz).

I think there is not too much talk about both models as both only have a gentle respectively moderate boost in the bottom end and most people prefer more bass quantity.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #34,781 of 35,472

Which one? The E80? It's neither under- nor overpriced and a really solid contender in the $100 range. Personally I prefer the M3 a little more, but on the technical side the difference is not large at all (just a slightly better detail retrieval with the Brainwavz).

I think there is not too much talk about both models as both only have a gentle respectively moderate boost in the bottom end and most people prefer more bass quantity.

Yes, E80 and yes, I figured as much. That makes me more firm about my opinion on not boarding the hype-train at-least until after a few months after it starts. Solid contender around 100 for about 44 USD (just made the math and about 3k INR is roughly 44$)  is an awesome deal. Wonder what prices bulk quantities can be bought at (Massdrop) if they are selling it at 44 USD here in India. On another note, if someone from SM is reading this, why the disparity in price and why not drop the price in US too and make some dough?

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #34,782 of 35,472
I really really love my E80, they are my favorite earphone!
Still trying to find an earphone that can go toe to toe on the soundstage, mids and detail with these. Under $50 that is.

They are not much appreciated here which makes me sad though.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #34,783 of 35,472

About Channel Imbalance, I have to say, I did get that feeling with more than a few pairs so far. I thought I was over - thinking/analyzing (ppl always say I do :D ) and hushed it up. Any good material explaining about this subject/occurrence? And yea I read your posts few posts above mine and really liked them. Made sense. I think, I even hit follow from your profile. :) Comparison with the UM 3x is exciting to read. The best IEM had till date is HF5 and somehow this reminds me of it a little bit. Perhaps the lack of sub-bass. However, I think I can live with this SS happily if I can tame the treble little bit. I'll post it here if I can find the sweet-spot.

The 2nd looks and felt perfect for me. Yes, swapping sides was not a natural thought but when It occured, I immediately found it much more comfy and hence enjoyable. And thats tad bit more than what I had in my mind for re-inforcement. But hey, you can never be too careful, can you! Esp. when something is such a VFM posession!

I too have to try stuffing some foam on my tips. Otherwise, I enjoy foams on a pair where treble is too high. I should try these with foam tips.

Yeah, that's what is so frustrating about channel imbalance; you're never 100% sure if it's actually happening in most cases.  The worst is when it is a small imbalance.  If you ever buy used stuff off the forum, it's the first thing you should check for because a lot of folks are shady and assume they can pass it off because it often takes a few listens to identify it.

I'm enjoying comparing the XE800 with my UM3X.  Last night I realized that I can equalize the UM3X effectively by reducing some of the mid bass, bringing them awfully close to my ideal sound.  I still need to tinker with the XE800 and see if they're similarly capable of being fine tuned. 

You have the right idea with trying the XE800 with foam tips.  I think we have similar sound sig preferences and I don't use anything other than foam, based purely on comfort.  It doesn't bother me if foam reduces treble energy.  If you're ordering additional foamies, the XE800 seems like it fits a 4mm bore width as opposed to the 5mm I have a bunch of.  

One thing I don't like in more recent IEMs is the move away from a narrower sound tube/nozzle.  It prevents me from using my trusty Shure Olive tips which I am highly partial to and puts more pressure on my ear canals.   

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #34,785 of 35,472

Yes, E80 and yes, I figured as much. That makes me more firm about my opinion on not boarding the hype-train at-least until after a few months after it starts. Solid contender around 100 for about 44 USD (just made the math and about 3k INR is roughly 4$)  is an awesome deal. Wonder what prices bulk quantities can be bought at (Massdrop) if they are selling it at 44 USD here in India. On another notes, if someone from SM is reading this, why the disparity in price and why not drop the price in US too and make some dough?

I'm going to look more closely at the E80 as per your comments.  I also tend to avoid buying anything that is being hyped and think the XE800 is a good example of my typical purchasing methodology.  When the XE800 came out, people were doing somersaults to pay over $50 and now they're available for less than $20. 

I'm tempted right now to find something in the $100 range. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back