Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 14, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #34,787 of 35,472
I really really love my E80, they are my favorite earphone!
Still trying to find an earphone that can go toe to toe on the soundstage, mids and detail with these. Under $50 that is.

They are not much appreciated here which makes me sad though.

Makes me sad too. I still try to hold on to broken pairs of PL50 and ES18. I hope to re-cable them and continue enjoying. PL50 was my 2nd purchase after starting to read about earphones and daps. Since my 1st purchase was stuck wid a friend in the US who India trip got delayed, I ordered PL50 as stop-gap fix until I can lay my hands on HF5. They are superb for comfort and sound too. I hope to re-live those days by recabling these beauties soon! 

Yeah, that's what is so frustrating about channel imbalance; you're never 100% sure if it's actually happening in most cases.  The worst is when it is a small imbalance.  If you ever buy used stuff off the forum, it's the first thing you should check for because a lot of folks are shady and assume they can pass it off because it often takes a few listens to identify it.

I'm enjoying comparing the XE800 with my UM3X.  Last night I realized that I can equalize the UM3X effectively by reducing some of the mid bass, bringing them awfully close to my ideal sound.  I still need to tinker with the XE800 and see if they're similarly capable of being fine tuned. 

You have the right idea with trying the XE800 with foam tips.  I think we have similar sound sig preferences and I don't use anything other than foam, based purely on comfort.  It doesn't bother me if foam reduces treble energy.  If you're ordering additional foamies, the XE800 seems like it fits a 4mm bore width as opposed to the 5mm I have a bunch of.  

One thing I don't like in more recent IEMs is the move away from a narrower sound tube/nozzle.  It prevents me from using my trusty Shure Olive tips which I am highly partial to and puts more pressure on my ear canals.   

Yes, It was never a clear difference and that makes me not even consider asking for 2nd opinion. I'm inclined to believe my hearing is better than most casual listeners perhaps because I focus on my music always looking for micro-details which makes me grin. So, no point in asking anyone to identify that tiny difference. It takes away from the experience nevertheless! Anyway, is there any reason you could identify or suspect anything for this imbalance? From what you said, it happens with IEMs mostly. I had SR80 and replaced it with SRH440 which never exhibited this problem. I guess this is where matching the drivers by high-end companies comes in to the picture or is that for different reason they try and match 2 drivers that make a pair?

I have a bunch of foam tips I got from AE and KZ store sent a pair for free when I ordered few cases recently. Hope one of those fits. Else, I have to make these super-articulating by terminating the already articulating nozzles with articulating tips. Wonder what kind of difference these many twists and turns makes to the sound when the waves have to pass through these twisted caves. They probably think, what kind of a twisted screw is doing this to me. lol. 

E80 is Ok IMO. It's doesn't have an engaging sound. It's just, "there"

Knowing your affinity to TK12 and other bassy IEMs, I'm not surprised at all. :)

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #34,788 of 35,472
I really really love my E80, they are my favorite earphone!
Still trying to find an earphone that can go toe to toe on the soundstage, mids and detail with these. Under $50 that is.

They are not much appreciated here which makes me sad though.

The Havi B3 Pro I and Fostex TE-02 are on a higher technical level, but those two are among the very few low budget IEMs that I found to be clearly overperforming for the price they sell for.
Never got why the Carbo Tenore was that popular, personally I find that it is worth its money, but not really more.

Quote:

Well, that's what they are supposed to sound like more or less. Moderately sounded but not to the extent to being unrealistic or overly "attention-grabbing". Compared to a very neutral in-ear, they are sounded and on the v-shaped side, but compared to a lot what's on the market they really don't have a strong sounding at all. Using the stock narrow-bore tips though as opposed to the stock wide bore ones, the sub-bass gains some quantity and the overall sound gets darker.

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #34,789 of 35,472

tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #34,790 of 35,472
@jatergb

The PL50 is a nice single-BA IEM at its price point. However, going for the E80, you will notice the latter to be more v-shaped (not meant negatively, but just sayin' that it's got somewhat more bass and an upper treble spike below 10 kHz). 

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #34,791 of 35,472
Hidizs AP60 VS Shanling M1 VS Fiio X1 II

Wonder which one will sound good but i trust the ap60 bc of the dac used

Sep 14, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #34,792 of 35,472

I'm going to look more closely at the E80 as per your comments.  I also tend to avoid buying anything that is being hyped and think the XE800 is a good example of my typical purchasing methodology.  When the XE800 came out, people were doing somersaults to pay over $50 and now they're available for less than $20. 

I'm tempted right now to find something in the $100 range. 

Yes, I follow pretty much same methodology too owing to the $ conversion rate. :). Even I have been on the hunt for an upgrade to my IEM 500 since I got it. However, most popular options here seem to be FOTM and just FOTM around that price except maybe Pai Audio model at around 130$. I'm targeting ER4SR now. Maybe in 3-4 months if all goes as planned. Also, want to get Havi B3 Pro for reference sometime when my wallet permits.

It's actually pretty close to end of life I believe. Not sure what Fiio's next X3 variant will be or when. 

After looking at the X1 V2, I can't wait to hear real-world reviews of that touch-wheel. I'm a sucker for navigating with wheel and It will remain as my fav option when touch-screens will obliterate whatever few models we have. If the X1 V2 turns out to be as good as the real wheel mechanism, I can't wait to see X3 V2 with same touch wheel implementation.

The Havi B3 Pro I and Fostex TE-02 are on a higher technical level, but those two are among the very few low budget IEMs that I found to be clearly overperforming for the price they sell for.
Never got why the Carbo Tenore was that popular, personally I find that it is worth its money, but not really more.

Well, that's what they are supposed to sound like more or less. Moderately sounded but not to the extent to being unrealistic or overly "attention-grabbing". Compared to a very neutral in-ear, they are sounded and on the v-shaped side, but compared to a lot what's on the market they really don't have a strong sounding at all. Using the stock narrow-bore tips though as opposed to the stock wide bore ones, the sub-bass gains some quantity and the overall sound gets darker.

Just found this - http://www.frontendaudio.com/Fostex-TE-02-Headphones-p/9999-11640.htm. Not sure if anybody can vouch for this seller/shop but looks like a damn good deal. Looks like it is out of stock. You are right about moderately elevated bass. Its there when you look for it else, gets along with all other freqs. So, as of now, Havi - 1, E80 - 0. I had both of these on my radar but never came across a comparison.

@jatergb

The PL50 is a nice single-BA IEM at its price point. However, going for the E80, you will notice the latter to be more v-shaped (not meant negatively, but just sayin' that it's got somewhat more bass and an upper treble spike below 10 kHz). 

TBH, I don't recall the SQ and SS of the PL50 but i just loved the comfort and I used to forget I was wearing them. HF5 came close but I guess over the ear fit has it's own advantage in this regard. If I remember correctly, even cable was pretty soft and not microphonic.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #34,793 of 35,472
  Hidizs AP60 VS Shanling M1 VS Fiio X1 II

Wonder which one will sound good but i trust the ap60 bc of the dac used

M1 has me excited for the compact proportions and finish quality. But yea, comparo of the latest entrants is much-awaited. Not that, I'm gonna be able to spend that much anytime soon on a dap but hey excitement is the name of the game here! :)

DAPs are not as romantic i guess, esp considering your track record of taking one for the team. :D 

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #34,794 of 35,472

M1 has me excited for the compact proportions and finish quality. But yea, comparo of the latest entrants is much-awaited. Not that, I'm gonna be able to spend that much anytime soon on a dap but hey excitement is the name of the game here! :)

DAPs are not as romantic i guess, esp considering your track record of taking one for the team. :D 

taking one for the team
wink.gif

this is how the community rolls

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #34,795 of 35,472

Fostex is not available here in India sadly. I'll pick up Havi one day though. :)

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #34,798 of 35,472

The E80 have solid bass response and a wide soundstage if amped. They play very similar to the HAVI's (except less soundstage), and like the Havi, need an amp to be at their best, so not the most mobile choice.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #34,799 of 35,472

taking one for the team
wink.gif

this is how the community rolls

Wow man! I was just kidding. Hope someday, I can do that at whim. $ conversation rate to blame!

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #34,800 of 35,472
Also the E80 sounds like a slightly fuller single BA, but with no sibilance. The highs are just shy of sparkly because the warm tilt tuning keeps them from creeping into this territory. It's ability to dig up details is above average, but clarity is average, so you will hear the micro details, but they won't be forward. It's more background. It can dig up details in the mix, but will present them as just audible as opposed to very audible. Mids are smooth and present, but not edgy or dynamic. I'd describe the SM E80 mids as dry and present, while gaining it's bite from the highs. Bass is just barely above neutral, with INSANE speed and resolution, but lacking impact or sub bass slam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back