Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #26,851 of 35,472
Hi! What would you suggest for a good-on-midrange IEM under 100$ (possibly less)?
The best of this kind I own now are the Re400b, and I'm possibly going to buy the Havi B3 Pro 1 (I'm really curious about the soundstage hype). 
I've never been a basshead, but now I often find myself avoiding my Musical Fidelity EB-33 and my wooden Bettes 10mm because I find them too bassy. (There are indeed times when I look for them, especially with certain kinds of music, but not so much!)

May 4, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #26,852 of 35,472
Monk plus vs "regular" monk? differences?

Everything is here:

http://www.thesoundfreq.com/venture-electronics-ve-monk-plus-on-tight-tuesdays/

In short, treble refinement and now 64ohm instead of 32ohm. (Maybe b/c a lot of people were using a 75 ohm adapter in the originals they upped it to try and eliminate that. I believe one member in the Monk thread said he doesn't feel he needs the adapter with the Plus)

May 4, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #26,853 of 35,472

You should have wait for the 13 before selling the 12, a direct comparison would have been nice.
TK Maple on the way too
wink.gif

Twin and Paul have both already given the exact same conclusion between the two. http://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-tk13/reviews/15882

Do you happen to have the Shozy, on hand or order? I think it may be a perfect contender for the Maple. Both wooden single dynamic BUT with $25 price difference. I'm hoping the Maple is like the 12 and hits above its price point. 

May 4, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #26,854 of 35,472
  Twin and Paul have both already given the exact same conclusion between the two. http://www.head-fi.org/products/musicmaker-tk13/reviews/15882

Do you happen to have the Shozy, on hand or order? I think it may be a perfect contender for the Maple. Both wooden single dynamic BUT with $25 price difference. I'm hoping the Maple is like the 12 and hits above its price point. 

A third opinion is always welcome.

Yes the Shozy is on its way too and another cheaper wooden single DD, the DZAT DF-10.

May 4, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #26,855 of 35,472

A third opinion is always welcome.

Yes the Shozy is on its way too and another cheaper wooden single DD, the DZAT DF-10.

Very true. I should be able to hopefully remember enough details out the 12 to agree or disagree with them (probably agree knowing they really know their stuff lol)

Nice! Looking forward to the comparisons from you.

Hopefully everything arrives in the order it was ordered. The Monks at least only call for 50hrs on the burner so they should be good to go by time the Maples get here. I'm moving at the end of the month so TK13 burn in may get a delay

May 4, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #26,858 of 35,472
  That would be great, your post is what put them on my radar. Are they similar to/better than any headphones you've tried (especially soundstage wise)?

Trying to decide between them, the Shockwave III kegs and the Hifiman 400s headphones.

QT5 definitely has the largest stage- treble is similar to the Shockwave III. I'd say it's the largest thus far (probably due to the spacious enclosure and an extra wide nozzle). Bass on both are excellent- very detailed, textured and can reach really deep. Earphones can sound very good, however if you enjoy a larger sound then a headphone is the way to go. If you already have a planar and want to try more earphones I'd say the QT5 will definitely impress on first listen. Otherwise I'd try the 400s :D

May 4, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #26,859 of 35,472

QT5 definitely has the largest stage- treble is similar to the Shockwave III. I'd say it's the largest thus far (probably due to the spacious enclosure and an extra wide nozzle). Bass on both are excellent- very detailed, textured and can reach really deep. Earphones can sound very good, however if you enjoy a larger sound then a headphone is the way to go. If you already have a planar and want to try more earphones I'd say the QT5 will definitely impress on first listen. Otherwise I'd try the 400s :D

Thanks for the comparison. Chinese IEMs seem to be really amazing value and constantly improving, can't wait to see what they come up with next!

May 4, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #26,860 of 35,472

Thanks for the comparison. Chinese IEMs seem to be really amazing value and constantly improving, can't wait to see what they come up with next!

Yup, and there are so many new ones all the time- I have bought too many this year already xD

May 4, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #26,861 of 35,472

I agree with the ZhiYin QT5 Hybrid. These are really special.
The QT5's are a  1 DD + 4 BA Hybrid 5 units earphone. Like many hybrids they try to have the best of  both worlds, low end/mids of DD's; speed, detail and high end claity of BA'S. IMHO, these succeed.
Some observations so far:
1. With burn in they sound better and better. This is like the Shockwaves.
2. Cables have a night and day affect on them. Hck sent  me a 8 core MMCX Silver Plated Cable. I thought that this  cable made the earphones a tad bright.Changing over to a Fidue 83 silver coated cable, that works both balanced and unbalanced, the sound becomes more mid centered and not as bright.
3. Running it balanced out of my Onkyo DP-X1 balanced output, using the same Fidue cables, and the full potential of these earphones come out. Wonderful and exteneded bottom end with lots of slam when needed, rich mids, and perfect high end with nice detail. Big soundstage for iem's. These really shine when run in balanced out of a high end player.
4. Very tip dependent, with a big nozzle that few tips fit. I tried various tips from my collection until I gave up and used a pair of the included tips. The wide bore tips that fit the earphone work best, but fit took some getting used to. I did use one set of tips that gave me a perfect seal, but altered the sound  to much by adding more bass. Plus they were uncomfortable.
5. Did I say big nozzle and hard to fit in your ears? Well that was solved by resting the earphones on the bottom of one's ears and pushing in at that angle, good fit, not perfect but fine for me and nice sound.

These are probably the best earphones I have ever bought off of AliExpress, and the best at the price I paid.

May 5, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #26,863 of 35,472
  So, with all these cheap IEM's have multi-drivers and the like are any of these Chinese IEM's "Giant Killers"? Are there any for any price that genuinely punch way above the price?

SW3 comes to mind

May 5, 2016 at 12:35 AM Post #26,864 of 35,472
  Hi! What would you suggest for a good-on-midrange IEM under 100$ (possibly less)?
The best of this kind I own now are the Re400b, and I'm possibly going to buy the Havi B3 Pro 1 (I'm really curious about the soundstage hype). 
I've never been a basshead, but now I often find myself avoiding my Musical Fidelity EB-33 and my wooden Bettes 10mm because I find them too bassy. (There are indeed times when I look for them, especially with certain kinds of music, but not so much!)

Take a look at the Hisound audio HA-2. There are two reviews and a thread for them. I also ordered them but they hasn't arrived yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back