Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #1,757 of 35,472
Suzook is right, for portable use get the Dolphins, for home use get the Pro80's.

Dolphins have better clarity, Pro80's got bigger soundstage.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,758 of 35,472
Suzook is right, for portable use get the Dolphins, for home use get the Pro80's.

Dolphins have better clarity, Pro80's got bigger soundstage.

How about bass?  I really like the low frequency content of Dolphins.  Just curious how does it compares to Pro80s?

Regarding Momentum over-ear, I tested those a few months back, so going by memory, but they do sound very similar to Dolphins.  I even think Dolphins have more sub-bass.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,759 of 35,472

How about bass?  I really like the low frequency content of Dolphins.  Just curious how does it compares to Pro80s?

Regarding Momentum over-ear, I tested those a few months back, so going by memory, but they do sound very similar to Dolphins.  I even think Dolphins have more sub-bass.

My Dolphins arrived 3 days ago and have already more than 20 hours of use. To my ears, the Dolphins have more quantity in bass, hit harder and not bloated. They go deeper especially on tracks with lots of sub bass. I also like the way mids is presented because they have better clarity. I think they are just equal on the highs or Pr080's have more in quantity a bit and they have both good extension.  I prefer and  find the Dolphins sound better than the Pro80s, of course YMMV.

Mar 4, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #1,760 of 35,472
I am searching for a sports IEM (sweat resistant and with low microphonics).

It looks like the best option is the Meelectronics M6p, but i can't buy it in a low price (they are about $37 @ ebay).

So i started to look for other options. I saw that the first post in this topic recommends Moxpad X3. It looked a great option at first, but i read complains that it breaks in some weeks.
I saw the SOMIC MH415, but i doubt it is sweat resistant.

Searching at Aliexpress i found those:
- Maya T3 ($44)
- Maya S6 ($27)
- ROVKING V5 ($38)

Does anyone tested any of those against the Meelectronics M6p?

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,762 of 35,472

It looks like the best option is the Meelectronics M6p, but i can't buy it in a low price (they are about $37 @ ebay).

So i started to look for other options. I saw that the first post in this topic recommends Moxpad X3. It looked a great option at first, but i read complains that it breaks in some weeks.

- Maya T3 ($44)
- Maya S6 ($27)
- ROVKING V5 ($38)

I have the Maya T3 and the S6. Both sound good, but the T3 has awesome accessories. I'm selling both if you want one. The Rovking can be found for $20 on taobao.

The Somic and Moxpad sound better than all of them however.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,763 of 35,472
Don Scorpio Dolphins:
Both twister6 and suzook has given great reports on these and I agree with most of their findings so instead of repeating them I'll focus on the comparing these with the ue6000's.

To start with I'm not a big fan of portable headphones. I prefer full size open cans for home listening when possible and iem's as portable solution.

This being said I go for 3-4 business trips a year with long flights and a lot of time in hotels and on these occasions I absolutely prefer a portable closed headphone. For the last six months or so I've used the ue6000 on these occasions. They are great for watching movies on the plane but I feel the don't cut it when it comes to listening to music. My hope for the Dolphins was that they would be better than the ue6000 in music reproduction and be able to replace nthem as my travelling cans. So here we go:

Kept in the supplied case the Dolphins fold flat while the UE's fold in over. This makes the Dolphins better fitting for both my messenger bag and the flight pocket.

The passive isolation is about equally good on the two. Since the UE's active nc is actually not blocking any more noise just change the sound signature this doesn't help much so I'll call it a tie on isolation.

The Dolphin's are a bit more easy to drive but none of them are really hard to drive so I'll guess this is a tie as well.

Build quality is also equally good. Both are plastic fantastic but in spite of this they still feels reliable. Both are more heavy then they look and this adds to confidence in the built.

I find the UE's to be very comfortable and on my last trip I wore them pretty much non stop on a 12 hour flight without any problem. Yesterday I had the Dolphins on my head for more than five hours without any problem. So both are great comfort for me.

Both also have a inline mic that comes in handy while waiting in airports or staying in the hotel room and the phone rings. The Dolphin's also comes with an additional cable without mic.

On to the sound!
I just cut right through and say that the Dolphin's gives me all that I'm missing with the UE's. The mids are much more forward on them and they have much better clarity as well. This is my two biggest problems with the UE's. Both of them have a bit extra bass which I really like in a portable can since noisy environments makes some bass to get lost. That being said I do feel that the Dolphin's extend a little lower in the sub bass. Add a little more expansion in the treble as well on the Dolphin's and the conclusion is that I definitely prefer them over the UE's. Soundstage is not great on either but I think that's pretty much the price you pay for a 40 mm driver in a closed can with great passive isolation.

So basically I'm very happy with my purchase and I've found my new travel companion. At $99 shipped these are a steal end a great value.

I'll go as far as to say that I think they're better than the Pro80's as well on all things except soundstage. This meaning I think they're the best closed cans I own at the moment.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #1,764 of 35,472
Don Scorpio Dolphins:
Both twister6 and suzook has given great reports on these and I agree with most of their findings so instead of repeating them I'll focus on the comparing these with the ue6000's.

To start with I'm not a big fan of portable headphones. I prefer full size open cans for home listening when possible and iem's as portable solution.

This being said I go for 3-4 business trips a year with long flights and a lot of time in hotels and on these occasions I absolutely prefer a portable closed headphone. For the last six months or so I've used the ue6000 on these occasions. They are great for watching movies on the plane but I feel the don't cut it when it comes to listening to music. My hope for the Dolphins was that they would be better than the ue6000 in music reproduction and be able to replace nthem as my travelling cans. So here we go:

Kept in the supplied case the Dolphins fold flat while the UE's fold in over. This makes the Dolphins better fitting for both my messenger bag and the flight pocket.

The passive isolation is about equally good on the two. Since the UE's active nc is actually not blocking any more noise just change the sound signature this doesn't help much so I'll call it a tie on isolation.

The Dolphin's are a bit more easy to drive but none of them are really hard to drive so I'll guess this is a tie as well.

Build quality is also equally good. Both are plastic fantastic but in spite of this they still feels reliable. Both are more heavy then they look and this adds to confidence in the built.

I find the UE's to be very comfortable and on my last trip I wore them pretty much non stop on a 12 hour flight without any problem. Yesterday I had the Dolphins on my head for more than five hours without any problem. So both are great comfort for me.

Both also have a inline mic that comes in handy while waiting in airports or staying in the hotel room and the phone rings. The Dolphin's also comes with an additional cable without mic.

On to the sound!
I just cut right through and say that the Dolphin's gives me all that I'm missing with the UE's. The mids are much more forward on them and they have much better clarity as well. This is my two biggest problems with the UE's. Both of them have a bit extra bass which I really like in a portable can since noisy environments makes some bass to get lost. That being said I do feel that the Dolphin's extend a little lower in the sub bass. Add a little more expansion in the treble as well on the Dolphin's and the conclusion is that I definitely prefer them over the UE's. Soundstage is not great on either but I think that's pretty much the price you pay for a 40 mm driver in a closed can with great passive isolation.

So basically I'm very happy with my purchase and I've found my new travel companion. At $99 shipped these are a steal end a great value.

I'll go as far as to say that I think they're better than the Pro80's as well on all things except soundstage. This meaning I think they're the best closed cans I own at the moment.

Agree about the soundstage. Its actually my only gripe. Its not very good.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #1,765 of 35,472

- Maya T3 ($44)
- Maya S6 ($27)
- ROVKING V5 ($38)

I got the Moxpad X3 thinking it would work for the gym. I do a lot of cardio and get a bit sweaty. But I'm not sure this thing will hold up.. First I thought it was just a straight barrel right down to the driver, but looking closely there is a very hard to see net/mesh over it. But that is not much of protection. This could very well be the most fragile and least suited for gym use of everything I have. It is not the least bit sweat resistant.

Have not tested it yet but I'll get to it in a bit.

Ideally I would prefer something with a more resistant build. The Maya T3 looks nice in the pictures.. but I have no idea how good it sounds. bhazard has it but I don't think he has elaborated on the sound? The Rovking V5 seems to be 110 or 120 RMB but looking from the pictures but I'm just not sure about the quality.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #1,766 of 35,472
  Agree about the soundstage. Its actually my only gripe. Its not very good.

I think once I put these on and start listening to music, I enjoy sound quality so much that I forget about soundstage :)

Btw, I'm curious now about sound improvement with replacement cables.  Speaking from an experience of using FiiO's RC-SE1 on my Westones where the improvement was really noticeable, now I'm wondering if I should get their RC-MH1 replacement 3.5mm cable.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,767 of 35,472
Mar 4, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,768 of 35,472

I think once I put these on and start listening to music, I enjoy sound quality so much that I forget about soundstage :)

Btw, I'm curious now about sound improvement with replacement cables.  Speaking from an experience of using FiiO's RC-SE1 on my Westones where the improvement was really noticeable, now I'm wondering if I should get their RC-MH1 replacement 3.5mm cable.

My honest opinion is dont waste your $. I have never noticed a difference. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,769 of 35,472
And again and again........

I feel the same way.  Dolphin and W40 are two of my favorite headphones right now, and it just so happens that I can place my zip-around shell for W40 IEMs right inside of Dolphin's middle storage pocket so I can carry both in that flat storage case.  As you correctly pointed out, that storage case is perfect for traveling.

Btw, I should have Pistons 2.0 delivered today :)  Will post my impressions later tonight.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #1,770 of 35,472
Yeah, I'm pretty fascinated with the Dolphin's. Maybe I need to start collecting portables as well now....

The Piston's are really fun as well you should have a enjoyable evening :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back