Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 13, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #18,017 of 33,689
Same thing happened with my V80 during a tip change.

Sounds like some good krawrity control haha

Seriously, they probably just used glue that was too weak (or not enough glue).

I forget what other (somewhat popular) ChiFi IEM it was where peoples’ nozzles were falling off during tip changes. It was about a year ago or maybe even 2. Anyone remember?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #18,018 of 33,689
Sounds like some good krawlity control haha

I forget what other (somewhat popular) ChiFi IEM it was where peoples’ nozzles were falling off during tip changes. It was about a year ago or maybe even 2. Anyone remember?

It's been reported for the rather expensive Pinnacle P1 but I'm not sure if MEE is Chinese.

Sep 13, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #18,019 of 33,689
Sounds like some good krawlity control haha

IIRC, it was the Magaosi K3 Pro.

Sep 13, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #18,020 of 33,689
IIRC, it was the Magaosi K3 Pro.

That was it! Thanks for remembering - it was driving me nuts.

Although my K3 Pro never had that problem, I am still careful with it when changing tips.

Sep 14, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #18,021 of 33,689
As you can see, the BA fell apart with the nozzle.
That was a faulty unit i think, it just popped off without even making pressure.

I live in Turin anyway.
ouch. not only weak glue but also weak solders in the BA. hope you won't get problems when asking for a replacement or refund.

Sep 14, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #18,022 of 33,689
Aww, that’s tealky unfortunate. Not going to be able to repair that. Hopefully the seller (or TRN themselves) can help out with a warranty replacement.

Same thing happened with my V80 during a tip change.

ouch. not only weak glue but also weak solders in the BA. hope you won't get problems when asking for a replacement or refund.

Thanks a lot for your answers. I appreciate someone tells me that's actually not my fault (as i did normal tip change like i did in every other IEM).
I even read some stuff from a TRN beta tester in Facebook that says this:
Screenshot_20180913-235628_Chrome.jpg

So i think even some more people (not only us) received bad units and i feel less "alone"ahah

Anyway i wrote to AK audio last night and they answered to this morning telling me to open refund dispute.
I hope they don't wanna get the bad sample back as shipping to china actually costs 80% of the trn v80 price so shipping them back will just cost me some more money.

Hope they understand the situation, just want a good sample as i loved them at first listening.. plenty of detail, good bass and sub bass, non overwheilming, mids were perfect for my tastes and imaging was no exception.
Lower treble is a bit aggressive i think, so maybe if they just didn't fall to pieces i would have been happy to tame them down with foam tips.

Hope they answer and help me, the important thing is a get something good so my money are well spent.
I'll let you know how it goes.

PS: there's no way to solder the ba back?

Sep 14, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #18,023 of 33,689
Thanks a lot for your answers. I appreciate someone tells me that's actually not my fault (as i did normal tip change like i did in every other IEM).
I even read some stuff from a TRN beta tester in Facebook that says this:

So i think even some more people (not only us) received bad units and i feel less "alone"ahah

Anyway i wrote to AK audio last night and they answered to this morning telling me to open refund dispute.
I hope they don't wanna get the bad sample back as shipping to china actually costs 80% of the trn v80 price so shipping them back will just cost me some more money.

Hope they understand the situation, just want a good sample as i loved them at first listening.. plenty of detail, good bass and sub bass, non overwheilming, mids were perfect for my tastes and imaging was no exception.
Lower treble is a bit aggressive i think, so maybe if they just didn't fall to pieces i would have been happy to tame them down with foam tips.

Hope they answer and help me, the important thing is a get something good so my money are well spent.
I'll let you know how it goes.

PS: there's no way to solder the ba back?
if they have told you to open refund dispute, they'll probably accept your "refund without returning goods" dispute.
guess you can try to solder it after the dispute is ended. you loose nothing. ask the masters of DIYing here how to do so.

btw, i've checked my trn v80, which arrived two days ago, and the nozzle of the left driver is loose, it's not glued. i've tried them to check if the BA is working; it seems to be ok, so i'm preparing a bit of epoxy to fix the nozzle.

Sep 14, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #18,024 of 33,689
if they have told you to open refund dispute, they'll probably accept your "refund without returning goods" dispute.
guess you can try to solder it after the dispute is ended. you loose nothing. ask the masters of DIYing here how to do so.

btw, i've checked my trn v80, which arrived two days ago, and the nozzle of the left driver is loose, it's not glued. i've tried them to check if the BA is working; it seems to be ok, so i'm preparing a bit of epoxy to fix the nozzle.

So i think there are many pieces that are actually faulty.

AK Audio answered me and processed full refund for the order without asking for return.
I have to say their customer service is way appreciated, very good store and I advice supporting them.

So now i actually have a broken TRN v80 pair, and 30 euros back as maximum money to spend.
I don't know if to buy another TRN v80 being afraid of finding another bad pair or just buy a cheaper headphone.

What should I do? The TRN v80 were anyway fantastic.

There is no chance to solder the BA?

Sep 14, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #18,025 of 33,689
So i think there are many pieces that are actually faulty.

AK Audio answered me and processed full refund for the order without asking for return.
I have to say their customer service is way appreciated, very good store and I advice supporting them.

So now i actually have a broken TRN v80 pair, and 30 euros back as maximum money to spend.
I don't know if to buy another TRN v80 being afraid of finding another bad pair or just buy a cheaper headphone.

What should I do? The TRN v80 were anyway fantastic.

Another store and a different color maybe..about 23 euro

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TRN...onito-Running-Sport-Earphone/32891772570.html

Sep 14, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #18,027 of 33,689
Trn v80, arrived today
Fantastic until i tried to change eartip
Nozzle was faulty

I love in italy, ak audio store shop
Do u think they're gonna help me?
That's no faulty unit, that's a serial issue. Mine also unglued, but didn't come off with the tip (the soldering of BAs held it in place, I think), so I'll be able to re-glue.
quick initial impressions on the trn v80, which i just received. as i understand it, trn are kz alums and their clear target is the comparably-priced kz hybrids:
1. packaging/accessories are rudimentary (no case), though appropriate for the pricepoint.
2. headshells are well built and feel more premium than the kzs, with a reassuring metal heft; cable is of good quality, though the memory portion is inflexible and annoying.
3. in contrast to the oversize, odd-fitting zs5/zs6/zsr, the v80's design is sleek and comfortable despite its weight; isolation is vg.
4. as b9scrambler aptly notes, while not especially hard to drive these are anemic and somewhat incoherent sounding at lower volumes, with subbass being notably boomy/amorphous and mids excessively recessed, as if the vocalist is too far from the mike.
5. turning up the juice improves matters considerably--bass gets a lot more sculpted and mids push forward considerably, though i still hear these as mildly v-shaped, with more emphasis on the lows and especially the highs.
6. treble is definitely the focus--crisp, well-extended and sparkly, if not esp. natural-sounding. drums and cymbals have a lot of snap and transients are very quick, but there's a bit of digital glare/brightness overall.
7. i had been led to believe that these were basshead iems, but as otto has opined the lowend is actually refined and fairly restrained, if lacking a wee bit of midbass texture.
8. sound stage is wide and deep and instruments are well-separated, tho imaging is not as precise as the better kzs--it's sometimes hard to place the location of the performers.
9. good value overall and "technically" superior to the zs5 and zsr in the sense of having better-defined note presentation and tighter bass, although the former inject more energy into the party and are perhaps more coherent overall.

more thoughts to follow if anyone cares....
Better fit and build (except the nozzle issue) and cable than KZ, that I agree on. But signature is weird (fixed by equalizing), bass, treble, mids, imaging are no better than KZ ED16 and ES4. Overall, nothing ground-breaking or even noteworthy in as the budget Chi-Fi market stands currently.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #18,028 of 33,689
That's no faulty unit, that's a serial issue. Mine also unglued, but didn't come off with the tip (the soldering of BAs held it in place, I think), so I'll be able to re-glue.

Better fit and build (except the nozzle issue) and cable than KZ, that I agree on. But signature is weird (fixed by equalizing), bass, treble, mids, imaging are no better than KZ ED16 and ES4. Overall, nothing ground-breaking or even noteworthy in as the budget Chi-Fi market stands currently.
i listened to the v80 some more last night and (for now) agree that they're not groundbreaking in the sub-$30 space, although $30 iems of this quality would be unthinkable a couple of years ago. in general, i think they do certain things better than the kzs, notably bass quality and reproduction of percussion, and certain things not as well, such as stage and imaging. what kept going thru my simple mind is that trn (and kz for that matter) might have been better served with fewer drivers, since none of the aforesaid are paragons of coherence.

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #18,029 of 33,689

Anything is possible, go ahead and give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

You’re going to need a good soldering iron, as it is not easy to solder BA drivers without overheating and damaging them. You’ll also need a pretty small tip.

In addition, you’ll need to figure out which one of the 4 wires inside of the shell are + vs -, which one of the terminals on the BAs are + vs -, and make sure you have enough slack wire and room to solder the wires. You’ll also need to figure out if the BAs are wired in series or in parallel. You may have to take apart the back cover to find out. If they are wired in series, you’ll have to make sure you don’t mix up the individual + and the individual - wires.

Sep 14, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #18,030 of 33,689
what kept going thru my simple mind is that trn (and kz for that matter) might have been better served with fewer drivers, since none of the aforesaid are paragons of coherence.

The problem is that the average consumer thinks a hybrid is better than a single dynamic. And that a hybrid with 3 drivers is better than one with 2 drivers. And a hybrid with 5 drivers is better than one with 3 drivers. And so on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back